Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

There's now a pattern - The reality is.... We're offensively awful.

It's the wingers. They need to do a better job of beating their man and drilling it across or finding a man on a regular basis. It's all too hot and cold, from both sides.

For every bit of exciting play from Fatawu there's a wild shot that flies 30 yards wide. For every bit of skill from Mavididi there's a stumble into his full back. They don't need to be perfect, but we'd benefit from both simplifying their game. They're good enough and physically superior enough to just play it as a numbers game.

No need to panic but for me that's why at times we don't look like scoring as much as our attacking positions would lead you to expect.  I'd be much more concerned if we weren't finding ourselves in good positions.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 1

Mavididi is so hit and miss. 
Kasey looked rusty. 

What worries me slightly is how weak our attack looks vs the likes of Leeds the other week. Kel and Vardy aren’t looking like they’re in the thick of chances at all. 

It’s too slow and predictable. The better teams know what to do with us now. 

• Like 1

We were fine today and any other day it would have been a comfortable win with Vesty header and Kele post going in. Folks are panicky because of the big 'back 2 back' defeats build up and the whole league desperate for it to happentoday. It skews the overall performance in all our games, we have 39 points for christ sake and if the 3 defeats were scattered evenly across the board people wouldn't be pushing the big red button. We will go on to storm this league no worries. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sideshow Faes said:

Or every modern manager. Football in general has been like this since guardiola built his Barcelona team - the greatest football team of all time but also the most boring. This is football now I'm afraid. 

Sad but true.

For my sins I listen to TalkSport/606 phone in's and every fan of every club is complaining of the same thing - they're bored of their team or the game.

I hear it from so many fans of so many club, whether that be on these phone in's or whether I speak to match going fans of various clubs in person.

As i've said in another thread earlier, this season I have actually quite enjoyed it, ultimately i've got to compromise and accept this style or give it up, so far this season we've largely been positive, moving forwards, scoring goals - obviously winning has helped that but there is more to it than that, it's so much more positive than the dirge we've had to suffer in the last few seasons. Could it be more-so enjoyable and exciting, for sure.

Does anyone actually enjoy what you've described above though, seriously. 

The game in general is dead regarding excitement and enjoyment in most games and it gets worse as you go up through the leagues and levels despite the quality and skill level of the players.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 4

Someone earlier said it’s the wingers, it’s not really. I’ve lost count of how many crosses we’ve pinged in for there to be absolutely nobody within a country mile of them. We’re just not getting bodies in the box, trying too many tippy tappy flicks to walk it through, not shooting when we could and not driving hard enough when our patient build up work has opened a team up. 

We seem to be building our own brick wall against the final third with over embellishment. Still, haven’t done too bad and maybe it will be just another kink we need to work out. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

I mean, we're among the top scorers in the league, with some of the best xg too. Hardly awful. If we were more clinical we'd be blowing teams away every week. As it is, we're still top of the league and comfortably ensconced in the auto promotion places. 

spot on for me, we arent crap going forward at times we are hit and miss 

and as you said we arent clinical enough in the final third and finishing; like all the league games we've lost this season, we havent been clinical enough, performances have been alright but not like last season when they was complete and utter dog shit

6 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

We are a work in progress,

be quite happy to finish in the top 4,then fall at the play offs.Then storm it next year when Enzo has the chance to secure the right players to navigate the League with one eye on the Premier.

Trust the manager and the process.

Evolution not revolution.

After the start we have had, that to me would be faliure.

• Like 3

Just now, cropstonfox said:

If we go up straight the way without firm foundations, we will have a miserable struggle in the Premier league.

Embrace the championship and don't seek instant gratification ,it could lead to misery.

I get your point but after our flying start it would leave a bitter taste, it is possible to establish the foundations and go up, which is what we should strive to do. 

• Like 3

Awful is harsh but you're being an ostrich if you're missing the red flags here. That Fosse Way article the other week is ageing worryingly well. I thought the general point about how we keep games tighter than we really need to rather than going for the kill was correct and when you do this, you are going to come out on the wrong side of a few of them.

You can't argue with the results over the season, and the period between the September and October international breaks we were superb, but I think our results are better than the performances in all honesty. I wouldn't mind, but Leeds and Ipswich are looking genuinely dangerous. I can see a scenario where you need maybe 98 to get 2nd - a tally I still think we're absolutely capable of but we've got to pick up, we've gone very flat again.

5 hours ago, Bazly said:

There has been many comments for a while that our attack is bordering on non existent, its been three years in the making. The bulk of goals have come from midfield for a while now with Vardy being largely a passenger for his last 60 games. The only team on current scoring form in the Championship that has a chance of doing a Fulham in the EPL next season is Ipswich. No other team has enough goals in them to thrive, it'll be survival at best.

I looked back over the last 10 years since we last won the Championship and the 9 winning teams next years performance in the EPL (Norwich have done it twice). The average goals scored by the Championship winning team is 1.81 per game which falls to an average of only 1.08 goals for those teams per game in their following EPL season. Our present team wouldn't get much past the middle of the park against most EPL sides with the slow passy passy interplay, its not hard to see why newly promoted teams struggle to score first season in the EPL. 

Our current goals average is 1.81, it was 1.80 in 2013/14. The 2015 season, the great escape season was only just survived because there were goal scorers in the side (Ulloa and Vardy) and there was attacking pace. This present team lacks dedicated goal scorers and pace. I'd expect if this team goes up, it'll be a good bet to come straight back down without some radical changes in the way we form and execute attacks.

Championship winners and following year EPL goal average
Burnley 1.89 goal average - 0.75 EPL
Fulham 2.30 - 1.44 EPL
Norwich 1.63 - 0.60 EPL
Leeds 1.67 - 1.63 EPL
Norwich 2.02 - 0.68 EPL
Wolves 1.78 - 1.30EPL
Newcastle 1.84 - 1.02 EPL
Burnley 1.56 - 1.02 EPL
Bournemouth 2.15 - 1.18 EPL
Leicester 1.80 - 1.21 EPL

It's mad to think out of those Championship winners, only Norwich immediately dropped back down (Norwich have done it twice)

6 hours ago, Bert said:

The problem is we are trying for the perfect goal too much. 

...not that we are trying for the perfect goal, no one is willing to take the responsibility of going for the goal!!!

McAteer did just that before his injury and today had a run at the defence where he could or should have gone on his own but chose to make the pass instead. Passing is so ingrained in these players they do not want to take on the responsibility to go for a goal.

7 hours ago, Collymore said:

Yes, we'll be fine and we'll probably never remember this game again but something for the last 5 games hasn't been right. 

Middlesbrough today were one of the worst teams we've come up against and we've still managed to not create much.

It's not "RED ALERT" but we need to discuss. 

:pearson: Plan b right there. Promotion with less to work with. Total domination and end product. Obviously he is a total dinosaur that doesn't play the Man City way but **** it, it is boring to watch us right now.

Never felt that way under NP and anybody who thinks we would be anywhere else than top under him is a football snob and deluded. Shit I think I could have this squad in the top 2 of the Champ.

If we go up and play how we do right now we are going to get spanked most weeks which annoys me as this squad of players is already better than at least half a dozen teams in the Prem imo.

Edited by Basildon Fox
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Vacamion said:

We don't shoot from distance (I recall hearing that KDH was told off for doing so early in the season).

If you insist on always pass, pass, passing it in, using close interplay, and never shooting from distance, you deny yourself a potential alternative route to victory.

After seeing his efforts vs Boro I can see why.

12 hours ago, cropstonfox said:

We are a work in progress,

be quite happy to finish in the top 4,then fall at the play offs.Then storm it next year when Enzo has the chance to secure the right players to navigate the League with one eye on the Premier.

Trust the manager and the process.

Evolution not revolution.

Jesus…. Absolutely not. It would be an unmitigated disaster if we failed to go up, and financially would probably destroy us. 

My expectations are we win every game from now on in, even if we go up and it’s not better than Reading, I won’t be satisfied. I’ll just be glad we’re out of the is god forsaken shit fest of a football league.