Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

There's now a pattern - The reality is.... We're offensively awful.

22 minutes ago, Joe90lcfc said:

Agreed, a striker desperately needed in January, we absolutely missed out on piroe who is firing on all cylinders for Leeds 

Personally I think a number 10 is what we are missing.. yes we play with 8s, but there is no reason a 10 can't be used in the system. I agree the strikers have been lacklustre but they're getting a half chance once a 90.. we need someone to put it on a plate for them which at the minute we haven't.

Kdh figures look decent this season, but he's broken down more attacks this season through making the wrong decision, delaying a pass etc .. need someone whose just going to look for the 9 everytime.. give the defenders something to think about which will in turn create more space for the wingers too

24 minutes ago, Joe90lcfc said:

Agreed, a striker desperately needed in January, we absolutely missed out on piroe who is firing on all cylinders for Leeds 

4 of our players (Iheanacho. Dewsbury-Hall, McAteer and Verdy) have as many or more goals thus far this season than Piroe…

• Like 2

Issue for us is that we are playing the exact same predictable style of football in attack of pissing around with the ball and playing prime puel ball enzo is meant to be playing like pep but recently has been too stubborn and is only doing one thing in attack if you watch Man City every way you can score they have nailed down set pieces crosses long shots cut backs so on and we are missing the ability to be able to have different ways to score once the team can do that will be when we truly are at our best 

• Like 3

Guest Sideshow Faes
23 minutes ago, ceebeefox said:

I think at this level all our wide players are capable of hitting the byline and attacking the final third on their correct side, left footer playing left , right footer on the right. Teams are doubling up inside and congesting it up. If Mavadidi had a left foot he’d have scored into an empty net too. It’s worth swapping sides during the game at least. I think Fatawu particularly would have the pace to go past on any side. We do look stale and predictable at the minute up front so something has to change.

I do sometimes think we should swap Fatawu and Mavididi simply to get them to run for the byline.

First day of the season Vs Coventry mavididi was good for about ten minutes at the end when he ran at them, but he spent the rest cutting inside slowly things down. Just bloody run! Think I made a comment after a few games wishing we had Lloyd dyer still for that very reason.

But modern football is about turning back and keeping the ball...

Never thought I’d be saying it this season, but Ndidi’s absence has significantly affected the quality of our chances.

His (mysterious) injury has been such a setback, as he was actually just getting more comfortable with new role and improving with each game. Hope he doesn’t return significantly rusty, and needing a long runway to get back to speed - just in time for the AFCON disruption.

Edited by NaijaFox

7 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Is it entirely possible that our tactics of wearing teams down was so succesful in early season due to other teams lack of match fitness/sharpness? And now they're all up to speed it's not working half as well

the longer the season goes on, the more this tactic will work

Edited by ParkerPen

Guest Sideshow Faes
4 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It's a case of Brendanitis isn't it? Or Puelism.

Or every modern manager. Football in general has been like this since guardiola built his Barcelona team - the greatest football team of all time but also the most boring. This is football now I'm afraid. 

Makes it seem worse because it’s two on the spin and we don’t play again for a while. It’s going to be a long old season anyway, plenty of football to be played yet. Momentum has shifted a bit to Leeds in the eyes of the media I reckon, but Southampton are also going to have a say. I can’t say much more about Ipswich than fair play, that’s a phenomenal story and if they went top after the next round of games I wouldn’t begrudge them it. Might do us good to be the hunter rather than the hunted. 

There has been many comments for a while that our attack is bordering on non existent, its been three years in the making. The bulk of goals have come from midfield for a while now with Vardy being largely a passenger for his last 60 games. The only team on current scoring form in the Championship that has a chance of doing a Fulham in the EPL next season is Ipswich. No other team has enough goals in them to thrive, it'll be survival at best.

I looked back over the last 10 years since we last won the Championship and the 9 winning teams next years performance in the EPL (Norwich have done it twice). The average goals scored by the Championship winning team is 1.81 per game which falls to an average of only 1.08 goals for those teams per game in their following EPL season. Our present team wouldn't get much past the middle of the park against most EPL sides with the slow passy passy interplay, its not hard to see why newly promoted teams struggle to score first season in the EPL. 

Our current goals average is 1.81, it was 1.80 in 2013/14. The 2015 season, the great escape season was only just survived because there were goal scorers in the side (Ulloa and Vardy) and there was attacking pace. This present team lacks dedicated goal scorers and pace. I'd expect if this team goes up, it'll be a good bet to come straight back down without some radical changes in the way we form and execute attacks.

Championship winners and following year EPL goal average
Burnley 1.89 goal average - 0.75 EPL
Fulham 2.30 - 1.44 EPL
Norwich 1.63 - 0.60 EPL
Leeds 1.67 - 1.63 EPL
Norwich 2.02 - 0.68 EPL
Wolves 1.78 - 1.30EPL
Newcastle 1.84 - 1.02 EPL
Burnley 1.56 - 1.02 EPL
Bournemouth 2.15 - 1.18 EPL
Leicester 1.80 - 1.21 EPL

• Like 1

Just now, Foxaholic ME said:

WE  are complacent  according to the match commentary we have a goal difference  of 16-0 in the last twenty minutes  and they assume if a goal behind   we shall  probablly get 2 or 1 if 0-0   Some people go on to say we are too good for the league and in the same breadth say we must expect to lose matches   I would point out we only lost to 2 sides when we won the  Premier    and lost to  Leeds who we beat comfortablly at home last year under Rogers   Burnley only lost 3 last year and got a 103 points  and look how they are doing a further point is  if we are too good so are Ipswich a Div 1 side last year a point never mentioned

LPI 

1 hour ago, SecretPro said:

We need Cannon to be a star player because if he isn't, our forward options are pretty weak.

Even if he is we still need to sign another striker in January and it's got to be worth trying to sell Nacho, with Nacho and Vardy out of contract in the summer, some forward planning is needed, probably worth giving Daka a go as he has the longest contract and his resale value currently isn't high, that and the other strikers haven't exactly been amazing.

• Like 1

KDH, Casadei, Ndidi, Mavididi, Fatawu, Iheanacho & Vardy have all blown hot and cold this season. 

Those bunch of players simply need to show more consistency, otherwise we’re going to see many more of these performances where we can’t break teams down.