Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

Charity donations

14 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I'm 99.9% a sarcastic cvnt. And we all have charities close to our heart.

Send the link. No child or parent should have to go through that ❤️

Here's the links to each organisation:

https://www.younglivesvscancer.org.uk/

https://www.pasic.org.uk/about-us/

https://www.solvingkidscancer.org.uk/

https://www.neuroblastoma.org.uk/

Pasic is an East Midlands charity though

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Blood. Please donate blood if you are able.

Great shout. I’ve just looked into it. 

I’ve also just researched what your body does re blood replenishment…! 

How fecking awesome is that?!!! Probably something I should know and would have already known if I’d been the slightest bit interested in biology at school. But still. 

What happens to corpses blood? Does it get drained and re-used? If not, why not?  Does it need to be ‘alive’ blood to work? Could you just chop off a toe and drain off a gallon or so once someone has popped their clogs?

So many questions and a whole new world opened up to me. 

22 minutes ago, Milo said:

Great shout. I’ve just looked into it. 

I’ve also just researched what your body does re blood replenishment…! 

How fecking awesome is that?!!! Probably something I should know and would have already known if I’d been the slightest bit interested in biology at school. But still. 

What happens to corpses blood? Does it get drained and re-used? If not, why not?  Does it need to be ‘alive’ blood to work? Could you just chop off a toe and drain off a gallon or so once someone has popped their clogs?

So many questions and a whole new world opened up to me. 

I see where you're coming from but, when a person dies, the blood stops circulating, obviously, and this results in something called hypostasis where the blood will pool and start to coagulate at the lowest parts of the body due to gravity.

It is entirely unsuitable for collecting for donation.

• Like 1

I've donated this year to great Ormond street hospital.

Donate this Christmas and help children like Henry get one step closer to home

Every child should have the chance to be at home with their families for Christmas Day.

By donating to Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity (GOSH Charity) this Christmas, you’ll be helping fund vital resources and support that Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) needs to get seriously ill children like Henry (pictured above) one step closer to home.

Your support can also help bring Christmas to the hospital and make it feel like a home from home for children whose treatment needs to continue over the festive season. It could help fund parent accommodation close to the hospital, so mums, dads and carers can stay by their children over Christmas.

GOSH Charity Christmas Appeal 2023 | Great Ormond Street Charity

• Like 1

On 19/12/2023 at 23:01, Free Falling Foxes said:

May I add that donations don't only need to include charities, nor a need to be monetary?

Blood. Please donate blood if you are able.

Sadly, after donating for many years, I am no longer able and one thing former donors are asked is to do is try and get as many others as possible to take your place.

If you're worried about needles - don't  look. If you are worried about discomfort, the most painful part is ripping the plaster from your arm later.

Lets face it, if you or someone dear to you needed blood, you would expect it to be available. Please help.

100% agree. I hate needles. They’re my only fear in life. Would prefer a plane full of spiders and snakes whilst looking out at a huge height than a needle. So if I can give every 3 months, you defo can too. It’s quick and easy to book an appointment, the donation process takes about 30 mins max. The staff are always absolutely superbly nice, and you get loads of snacks and treated like a hero afterwards. 
My wife is a doctor and I hear about people dying in the uk because of a lack of available blood, which is madness. Donate!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Donated this evening.

Feeling incredibly guilty about the amount of money I've just blown on food and drink for Xmas.

I reckon @Daggers has got it spot on this year.

Also, maybe one for here AND the Golf thread...

Could we sort out a FoxesTalk charity golf day in the summer?

Loads of you donated to Macmillan when my father in law was sick and I did 4 rounds in a day, but it'd be great to something all together and raise money for a few charities?

I'll tag some golfers from memory...

@Mike Oxlong @The Bear @Izzy @Milo @kingfox @Zear0 @The Year Of The Fox @syston_fox @Ric Flair

I mean, we all know @Milo will rock up saying he plays off 24, then stick his first drive 340 yards down the fairway, then get his caddy to read the green for him.

But it's all about raising money lol

I’d be well up for anything golf related next year yes. I did mention us from here having some form of golf day but now I’ve been banned from posting freely on here and have to have every comment approved 😂😂 it’d be too difficult for me to sort. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Donated this evening.

Feeling incredibly guilty about the amount of money I've just blown on food and drink for Xmas.

Loads of you donated to Macmillan when my father in law was sick and I did 4 rounds in a day, but it'd be great to something all together and raise money for a few charities?

@Mike Oxlong @The Bear @Izzy @Milo @kingfox @Zear0 @The Year Of The Fox @syston_fox @Ric Flair

I mean, we all know @Milo will rock up saying he plays off 24, then stick his first drive 340 yards down the fairway, then get his caddy to read the green for him.

Yeah maybe. Would depend on how far away and when for me personally but the idea is definitely worth a go. 

In my society they do prizes every time for 1st,2nd,3rd (Stableford points) and then a sleeve of balls for the two nearest the pins. I'm sure people would donate for the prizes like bottles of wine/spirits or something. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Donated this evening.

That would be class

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I’d be well up for anything golf related next year yes. I did mention us from here having some form of golf day but now I’ve been banned from posting freely on here and have to have every comment approved 😂😂 it’d be too difficult for me to sort. 

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

Yeah maybe. Would depend on how far away and when for me personally but the idea is definitely worth a go. 

In my society they do prizes every time for 1st,2nd,3rd (Stableford points) and then a sleeve of balls for the two nearest the pins. I'm sure people would donate for the prizes like bottles of wine/spirits or something. 

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That would be class

Well a few seem to be interested. 

Maybe now would be a good time to start organising something for the summer?

More than happy to co-organise with someone in the Leicestershire area to get it sorted.

I live in Northampton, so don't have a connection with any of the clubs in the area, if anyone does, or has a suggestion of where to play, let's get the ball rolling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Well a few seem to be interested. 

Maybe now would be a good time to start organising something for the summer?

More than happy to co-organise with someone in the Leicestershire area to get it sorted.

I live in Northampton, so don't have a connection with any of the clubs in the area, if anyone does, or has a suggestion of where to play, let's get the ball rolling.

I’m a member at Longcliffe. Not played a course harder than this in the summer. Should be able to sort out tee times in the week, but I think it’s about £70 a round in the week. (One member can only sign x amount of guests in) 

https://www.longcliffegolf.co.uk/

I gave to these charities yesterday. Always check with the charity commision how much of the money raised actually goes to the cause. Some spend over 50% on fundraising strangely. 

https://www.actionhomeless.org.uk/ Homeless charity in Leicester

https://www.breastcanceruk.org.uk for my mother in law who started treatment for breast cancer 2 years ago today. She made a full recovery luckily.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/  always best to give to the charity themselves than buy them stupid charity "songs"  who donate only a fraction of the amount to the charity.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2023 at 16:17, ramboacdc said:

I gave to these charities yesterday. Always check with the charity commision how much of the money raised actually goes to the cause. Some spend over 50% on fundraising strangely. 

https://www.actionhomeless.org.uk/ Homeless charity in Leicester

https://www.breastcanceruk.org.uk for my mother in law who started treatment for breast cancer 2 years ago today. She made a full recovery luckily.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/  always best to give to the charity themselves than buy them stupid charity "songs"  who donate only a fraction of the amount to the charity.

Superb 👌 

• Thanks 1