Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Boubakary Soumare

5 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Thanks for the explanation, obviously the savings in wages could offset losses on book value, but if this happening frequently for us it perhaps suggests a pattern of us setting book values too high for our players.

It's not setting the book value too high as such, it's agreeing to pay so much for them in the first place!

• Like 1

Also paying good wages hamper us, as any future sale is then dependent on the buying club matching the package for the player and often leads to them offering a relatively low fee in comparison to our valuation to make a deal financially viable. 

We rolled the dice when Rodgers joined in an attempt to secure Champions League football and when it didn’t quite happen we have been left with a squad that were largely very well remunerated and therefore makes it even more incredibly difficult to do a deal to move them on when balancing the need to secure a decent fee to cover FFP book values and also to find a club who can also meet the wage demands.

We have hamstrung ourselves but hopefully over the next year or two the situation changes massively and we should have significant room  for manoeuvre, I just hope the heirarchy have learnt from this harsh lesson and stick to an agreed model and not allow themselves to be influenced to repeat the same mistakes, that eventually led to our demise last season. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

To some degree it is organic and unavoidable, because

• Success breeds higher wages
  • Longevity in the PL breeds higher wages
  • Trying to compete breeds higher wages

This situation was always coming unless we keep getting success every year to two.

Although saying all that,  I dare say there is substantial hubris, mismanagement and complacency involved, at least historically.

We must increase the stadium returns and our external income.

I don’t have an issue with rolling the dice but we made a conscious decision to stop selling one marquee player and then reinvesting, problem is it became stale and we had too many players then running down contracts and losing the hunger and buying into what we are as a club, once we hit that point we were goosed. 

Moving forward I want the club to take calculated risks but at the same time realise when the right time to cash in. We all knew after the FA Cup win and failing to reach the Champions League for a second year running it was possibly the right time to cash in on Youri and use the money to reinvest and reenergise the squad, it was also the right time to let Rodgers speak to Spurs, trouble was we held firm and the drop off was clearly evident and played a massive part in our demise. 

We need to keep refreshing and reinvesting it is what we have built our success on and hopefully moving forward it’s a model we move forward with and retain. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I don’t have an issue with rolling the dice but we made a conscious decision to stop selling one marquee player and then reinvesting, problem is it became stale and we had too many players then running down contracts and losing the hunger and buying into what we are as a club, once we hit that point we were goosed. 

Moving forward I want the club to take calculated risks but at the same time realise when the right time to cash in. We all knew after the FA Cup win and failing to reach the Champions League for a second year running it was possibly the right time to cash in on Youri and use the money to reinvest and reenergise the squad, it was also the right time to let Rodgers speak to Spurs, trouble was we held firm and the drop off was clearly evident and played a massive part in our demise. 

We need to keep refreshing and reinvesting it is what we have built our success on and hopefully moving forward it’s a model we move forward with and retain. 

Not disputing it occurred, but was it a conscious decision? Wasn’t it just an unfortunate outcome from the global financial situation?

On 05/01/2024 at 05:20, AKCJ said:

I just think the role that he's moulded Ndidi into is literally exactly what Soumare is.

I should say that I don't see him being better than Ndidi but I think while he's out and while Soumare is still our player I think we'd be remiss to not try him in that position.

Obviously if he's got no intention of staying here then that's on him but if we're loaning him out with the view of reintegrating him next year then I think we should recall him while Ndidi is injured.

His performances in a City shirt have been well below par, however Soumare is the one player I’d have been really keen to see under Enzo and the recall now Wilf is crocked is surely something we’d explore?! 

26 minutes ago, CaliFOXnia said:

His performances in a City shirt have been well below par, however Soumare is the one player I’d have been really keen to see under Enzo and the recall now Wilf is crocked is surely something we’d explore?! 

I’d be interested to see Enzo manage him as well. Can’t have been easy coming in at the start of the decline under Bodgers. 

2 hours ago, teblin said:

People might not like it, but he could do the role wilf has been doing.

Ndidi's off the ball movement has been excellent, Soumare's is not. We would be a significantly worse team with Soumare instead of Wilf

• Like 1

19 hours ago, teblin said:

People might not like it, but he could do the role wilf has been doing.

I think that would be repeating the same big mistake that Rodgers made. Soumare is a particular type of player with stats before he came here that were very good.

Rodgers ignored that and also decided he wanted him to be more attacking and score goals, he said so. In the odd chances he was given to try, he couldn't do it. 

Rodgers then tried him as a defensive midfielder, again ignoring his previous published strengths, more round pegs square holes treatment. Again, on limited showing, it didn't work. 

The only time we saw his value was under Smith who used him in his most natural position, as suggested by his stats and that was in between the defence and midfield. Already written off by many on here I would argue that during that fateful fight towards the end (or lack of it by certain players), Soumare was arguably one of our better performers.

I'm still of the belief that under the right manager, if played to his strengths, he'll come good.

12 minutes ago, Noahfence said:

Convinced we signed him just because he was available and for pretty cheap rather than actually seeing a plan for him 

Weren’t we linked earlier in the window with a really impressive potential signing which fell through ( bit  vague sorry) and we finished up with this dud instead ?

On 07/01/2024 at 18:44, Dahnsouff said:

Not disputing it occurred, but was it a conscious decision? Wasn’t it just an unfortunate outcome from the global financial situation?

Don’t know why and I might be wrong but I think I remember seeing / reading that the decision was made to move away from the model following just missing out on the champions league for a second successive season and winning the FA Cup. That same summer we also had our highest net spend, buying Daka, Soumare, Bertrand and Vestergard if IRC