Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Enzo Maresca frustration boils over as he says 'moment there's doubt about the idea, I will leave'

15 minutes ago, MPH said:

Im sorry, Ian, but a player NOT running around  like a headless chicken with a beer belly and a mullet doesn't them a robot!

I don't think trying to paint anyone who isn't sold on our style (in an entertainment) sense as a dinosaur is particularly helpful. I'm not going to comment too much on Enzo, I've probably not seen enough to give a fair opinion, despite having been bored plenty when I have watched, I've equally seen some really nice stuff.

But under Rodgers, there was an element of overcoaching and players preprogrammed so much with the "pass, pass, pass" mentality, it stunted freedom of expression almost. An example is the number of times Barnes would turn back inside and recycle rather than burst into space, in what was an obvious opportunity really stank of that. I think that's where the robotic side of it comes in. 

• Like 4

I think for me the football isn't boring as it's interesting to see how we build and reset but it has been at times frustrating when the ball is played back to the defence when there is an obvious attacking opportunity.

For me it's the more intelligent footballers, Ricardo, Justin who are the worst for it. It's as if they've bought so much into Enzo's structure that they're seeing the game in a different way. It's as if they're not as alert to random opportunities that may come about and have lost a bit of instinct.

I would say that game against Stoke was the best performance, not just the scoreline but playing on instinct mixed with control. 

I hope this is ultimately what Enzo wants. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Aeropars said:

Can anyone in the 'boring' camp tell me what it is they expect, in detail? What is it about the current game that is so boring? and how, when the team is miles better than most opponents, are you to play exciting football when team set up to stick 11 men behind the ball and hope for a draw??

I wouldn't say it's boring, I think it's, at times, too passive and conservative at times.. but I'm no footballing tactician so my opinion counts for squat as long as we are winning games. Clearly it's effective! It's just we could be camped out on the edge of the opponents box and a killer pass would cut right through a defence but we play a safe option and retain the ball. And the time it takes to get out of our defence can be frustrating when you can see there's a pass to be made.

As I said, we're winning games.. I'm not booing, I'm not calling for Enzos head either.. quite the opposite, but it's not rock 'n' roll football that we were used to under Ranieri (even though that's more dictated by how opposing teams approach the game).

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I do think some of our games, particularly home ones are quite boring but I think it's simply a symptom of being so heavily favoured. It's like playing a Carabao Cup 3rd round game half of the time.

There has been the odd game though like the weekend where I think this style can actually be genuinely entertaining when there is space for us to attack. I think providing we don't become obsessed with playing safe and do look to hit these spaces we will be able to hurt teams in the top flight - and I'd say the games on average would be more entertaining.

Sterilised fan base, I sit in L1 and the banter between fans has gone down significantly due to heavy handed stewarding. Perhaps a sense of "completing football" in our case may make it difficult for fans to get up for a game. There's efforts to get the atmosphere going but it's the same chants week in, week out with very little variation. How do you fix it? Not a clue.... unless you swap the Kop with the Family Stand lol

• Like 1

IMO all this talk about boring football is nonsense.  True, you don’t have the long ball (that’s a good thing), you plan, you possess, you tactically move the ball looking for openings…it’s more of a chess match.  We’re used to in Britain this counterattack that evolves in seconds, and that’s a shame.  The rest of the world has moved on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrummieFOX said:

Unfortunately there is no chance we have big money to play with in the transfer market. We have already sold off our most valuable assets, and for a cut price because of relegation. We've seen already how tight things are regardless of PL TV money.

Equally, I fear we will struggle to compete at the the top end of the Prem with the modest funds/strong scouting approach because we just don't have the vision required from the top. We only have Enzo. The only vague hope I have is that bringing Enzo in was a calculated decision to choose that style of play/approach/identity to the footballing side of things as a club in general. That would mean using that style throughout our age groups, targeting players to fit that style and if Enzo were to go, only bringing in a replacement that also bought into it. But given the other managers we were linked with, I highly doubt it.

I don't think it's that we don't have the Money it's as I've said before the Accident changed everything. Instead of having an Owner who made decisions we now have a Board who decide what happens particularly with the finances. I believe Top has the vision but he's going to have to demonstrate to the Board that he knows what he is doing. It's only common sense with the type of figures involved.

So far he's doing well with the Enzo appointment and the few signings. Win promotion as Champions, It will give him even more credibility.

Even with 1 hundred + millions for promotion we both know it's not enough to turn us into Prem Champions , but if used right it can move us away from the relegation zone usually occupied by recently promoted sides. Provided we continue to sign wisely and not make the same Contract mistakes I believe we can secure our position in the Premiership.

Then from there anything is possible. 

There's 2 ways to success one is buy your way there like Man city etc. The other is to build your team over time improving the squad as you go. I prefer the second way. 

No Manager ever gets everything right but Enzo in a short space of time has delivered what we all craved. A team competing at the top of the Table in games with  players working for each other while improving their understanding of what the Manager wants. Some Fans need to realise that we're a work in progress not the finished article. Foreget the past that's history now.

We will need to re establish ourselves first before we get any notions of greatness as we continue on an upward path.

I believe Enzo is the right Man to take us there. Unless we find another unheard of Manager like Enzo or De Zerbi who both seem the standout Managers around. 

We''re lucky to have Enzo and Top to thank for it. Long may he continue to make such good decisions on behalf of all our Fans as we continue on our path to further success.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I suppose that's another issue that's purely a matter of opinion. What you think is 'dreadful' others may think is a 'great day out'. Age and previous personal history comes into it I suppose but I do think some people seem to think that 'their' way is the right way and should be adopted by the masses in order to be considered a 'proper' supporter.

Personally speaking I don't go for the match day 'experience', I just go to watch the football. I make certain personal choices I suppose like others along the way, like get there at a particular time suitable to me, don't buy any food and drink because I personally think it's a rip off and slow, but I appreciate that there may be those that like it and good luck to them. I take my own supplies in.

I have banter and conversation with those around me that have been there some time, it's always good to see them. I  don't mind the clappers, some hate them. I sing occasionally but not all the while but absolutely don't care whether other people do or don't. A lot of my reactions tend to occur depending what's happening on the pitch if I'm to be absolutely honest.

I  usually stay until the end and clap the players off but don't care about the one's that leave early, it's their choice  ... as long as they just go and don't just stand there in no-mans land blocking my view!

We're all different as are our individual tastes. Buying loads of merchandise, drinking club beer before a game, waving flags or continually singing throughout the game in a singing section doesn't make anyone the 'better' supporter'. A lot of the time a good 'match day experience' is down to the mindset of the supporter and the effort they put in to enjoying it. If the players play crap and lose badly then that will always put a dent in the experience anyway 🤣

Sensible post.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

I wouldn't say it's boring, I think it's, at times, too passive and conservative at times.. but I'm no footballing tactician so my opinion counts for squat as long as we are winning games. Clearly it's effective! It's just we could be camped out on the edge of the opponents box and a killer pass would cut right through a defence but we play a safe option and retain the ball. And the time it takes to get out of our defence can be frustrating when you can see there's a pass to be made.

As I said, we're winning games.. I'm not booing, I'm not calling for Enzos head either.. quite the opposite, but it's not rock 'n' roll football that we were used to under Ranieri (even though that's more dictated by how opposing teams approach the game).

I'm sure Enzo recognises that,  and IMO that's why he tried to sign sensei as we don't have that creativity. I think Madders would have thrived with Enzos coaching the coach can only do so much to improve a player but if he hasn't got the brains and quality for that killer pass then I'm afraid it has nothing to do with the coach.

When we go up you will see a vastly different line up I'm sure

• Like 2

One thing you have to consider is there is still a lot of trauma from the last few years of Brendan ball and the idea of control that crumbles under the slightest amount of pressure. 
I’m sure most of us can see there is a difference between Enzo ball and Brendan ball but it’s still going to take some time for those scars to heal. 
A concern for me is that when the better teams don’t play a low block against us and put serious pressure on our defence in possession we are still seeing some of the previous frailties appear. 
The one difference I would like to see is not more long balls but more pace in our play. It’s the very slow build up not the direction of play that I find tedious. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Bourbon Fox said:

I can't believe there's this much criticism, with the squad he has, in the time he's had, in the position we're in, with the goals we've scored.

Especially when you look at the state of things mere weeks before he joined.

It's mind-boggling. 

English football supporters are often not the brightest - and prone to entitlement - but we in particular have an exceptionally dim fan base possibly only surpassed by the knuckle draggers at Pompey. 

You only have to look back at some of the posts on this forum. You are absolutely right, it's mind boggling. 

• Like 1

On 01/02/2024 at 18:53, I blame Wellens said:

Problem not with the team or manager. The problem is us. It is that simple.

Remenber the days when young fans didn’t moan about the older fans and got on with singing?.Remember when fans didn’t leave 20 mins early? Remember when  people weren’t on their mobile phones every 5 minutes? Remember when you went to the game for the banter?. Remember when we didn’t need a drum? Remember when we were celebrating every goal in league 1 like it was the champions league? Remember when the ZDS semi final was a dream that became reality.? Remember when we did it need honesty flags, clappers, light shows?

Remember  the half time relay? 

it’s not the same and will never be the same. But I will always love those boys in blue. Will never leave early and get behind the boys. There is a few of us left. Not many though. 

Days like these you mean?  I remember.  Incredible.  Anyone got a flux capacitor and a delorean?

Edited by rugbyblue
  • Like 4

On a serious note. Top of the league since about October.  Clear at the top with a good cushion, winning most weeks.  I can't see what there is to criticise.  If you find it boring, go and paint the spare room on Saturdays and let some new blood get a ticket.....assuming general sale continues.  I cannot see any other manager in the list of usual suspects who could have made city as effective as they are at the moment 

• Like 3

On 02/02/2024 at 10:59, ClaphamFox said:

What's the cut-off point between older and younger generation? :ph34r:

I must be in the middle because I appreciate what he's building and that football has modernised into this, but I still find it boring to watch on the whole 🤣

No I'm not saying lump it forward at every opportunity, I'd just like to see more of the attacks we build. 

Can't have it all though. Personally dreading us getting promoted and going back to VAR land and the shit that that brings. This season has been amazing with no VAR, football how it should be. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gwyn said:

I'm sure Enzo recognises that,  and IMO that's why he tried to sign sensei as we don't have that creativity. I think Madders would have thrived with Enzos coaching the coach can only do so much to improve a player but if he hasn't got the brains and quality for that killer pass then I'm afraid it has nothing to do with the coach.

Yes, that's true. He's working largely with an inherited squad and it will take time to build what he needs. I just hope that either he's afford that time, or he decides to stay. As I say, I'm not for a minute suggesting we should change the manager.. I love the guy, it's just a criticism of how we play but I accept it isn't necessarily "his" team.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gwyn said:

We will see a different - one more technically better but I think a lot of creative midfielders would have struggled on their own personal performance this season for LCFC. Simply because the majority of opposition is so defensively minded. We all saw what happened on Saturday when a team presses but normally we don't get that room rather we have to bring them onto us 

17 hours ago, Sionnach gorm said:

IMO all this talk about boring football is nonsense.  True, you don’t have the long ball (that’s a good thing), you plan, you possess, you tactically move the ball looking for openings…it’s more of a chess match.  We’re used to in Britain this counterattack that evolves in seconds, and that’s a shame.  The rest of the world has moved on. 

You can still play more "chess" like football and be entertaining. What you probably do need is better players to really make it work. 

It's alright trying to play like a mini Man City, but we don't have their players. So with those limitations, a bit of pragmatism helps. 

This notion that people are yearning for long ball football, I think, really misses what people would like. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Yes, that's true. He's working largely with an inherited squad and it will take time to build what he needs. I just hope that either he's afford that time, or he decides to stay. As I say, I'm not for a minute suggesting we should change the manager.. I love the guy, it's just a criticism of how we play but I accept it isn't necessarily "his" team.

You and your nuance aren't welcome here. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You can still play more "chess" like football and be entertaining. What you probably do need is better players to really make it work. 

It's alright trying to play like a mini Man City, but we don't have their players. So with those limitations, a bit of pragmatism helps. 

This notion that people are yearning for long ball football, I think, really misses what people would like. 

Entertaining is such a subjective concept though. I think we are entertaining. By objective metrics we score a lot of goals. Imo some of the goals we have scored this season are up there with my best ever Leicester goals.

Agree on the point about players. Guardiola is imo the best manager ever but his style (and the various ways he has coached teams to play over the years) largely rely on excellent footballers to get the results he does. Not to say the principles don't work further down but to go from being a competitive team to the best in the world needs every job to be done excellently.

1 hour ago, The Quick Brown Fox said:

Personally dreading us getting promoted and going back to VAR land and the shit that that brings. This season has been amazing with no VAR, football how it should be. 

Being away from the combination of endless tedious hype and VAR is lovely.

I wish we could win the Championship but just decline the offer of promotion.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

The contrast from then to now!

Majority can’t be arsed to raise from their seat when we score.

Well I was probably at most of those, and nowadays it takes me a while to persuade my aging limbs out of my seat!

Seats themselves are probably the biggest difference. Being in a bunch of excited people on a terrace is a very different experience to an all-seater ground. It's sad that younger people will never know that experience of being able to rock up, pay on the gate and find the spot on the terrace where you want to be and with the people you want to be with.

Also it probably costs about ten times as much to go to a match now, so it's hardly conducive to younger people with less money.

Basically modern life is rubbish.

• Like 3