Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Would you support us in a breakaway league with an online streaming service?

When the Premier League broke away from the football league in the early 90s, it changed the landscape of English football. 

Sport at its heart should be competitive and for the people, allowing any one competing a chance to win. Everyone loves an under dog story and it’s why we will go down as one the greatest fairy tail stories in sporting history. 

However I actually think the PSR rules could be the straw the broke the camels back. They are creating a massive divide in what clubs can spend and it’s further pulling apart the greedy six, even from the chasing pack of teams like Aston Villa, Newcastle, West Ham etc, as they aren’t allowed to invest to try and catch up with the likes of Manchester City. The rules crippled us (alongside some poor management) and even with us tightening our belts, we’re set for an uncertain future in terms of financial income and potentially being almost sentenced to relegation from the league before we start with a points deduction. 

Could this unfair playing field, initiate clubs to start conversations on a breakaway league with its own streaming service? 

We’ve seen it happen in other sports over the years and some have flourished, some haven’t. The IPL has been a major success but that rocked a major boat.

It would need to featured promotion and relegation, some form of salary cap to make it competitive maybe, allow clubs from any league to join, whilst not restricting outside investment, every game kicking off at 12:00 on a Saturday to avoid the watershed rule, thus allowing people to watch local football at 15:00 if they wanted to! :ph34r:

Maybe allowing other non English teams to join a league setup might take the sting away from us being booted out of European competitions as well? Would you want us to play Celtic, Parma  or Sevilla? Maybe a nice trip to Brugge in a relegation decider? Or a League title decider to Forest, or even Rangers? 

It’s almost like the European Super League but booting out the teams that are perceived to get the favourable treatment I guess! 

Would you support it, or would it be a further nail in footballs coffin? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saxondale said:

We should be looking extremely closely at the Bundesliga. They seem to have the model spot on.

* Fans have majority voting rights

* Tickets are cheap as chips

* Big teams can - and do - get relegated 

* Well-organised, subsidised travel to games

Agreed.

Have been always fond of how that league is run and that fans can have a say on certain aspects.

But in this country, fans are customers really.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sly said:

When the Premier League broke away from the football league in the early 90s, it changed the landscape of English football. 

Sport at its heart should be competitive and for the people, allowing any one competing a chance to win. Everyone loves an under dog story and it’s why we will go down as one the greatest fairy tail stories in sporting history. 

However I actually think the PSR rules could be the straw the broke the camels back. They are creating a massive divide in what clubs can spend and it’s further pulling apart the greedy six, even from the chasing pack of teams like Aston Villa, Newcastle, West Ham etc, as they aren’t allowed to invest to try and catch up with the likes of Manchester City. The rules crippled us (alongside some poor management) and even with us tightening our belts, we’re set for an uncertain future in terms of financial income and potentially being almost sentenced to relegation from the league before we start with a points deduction. 

Could this unfair playing field, initiate clubs to start conversations on a breakaway league with its own streaming service? 

We’ve seen it happen in other sports over the years and some have flourished, some haven’t. The IPL has been a major success but that rocked a major boat.

It would need to featured promotion and relegation, some form of salary cap to make it competitive maybe, allow clubs from any league to join, whilst not restricting outside investment, every game kicking off at 12:00 on a Saturday to avoid the watershed rule, thus allowing people to watch local football at 15:00 if they wanted to! :ph34r:

Maybe allowing other non English teams to join a league setup might take the sting away from us being booted out of European competitions as well? Would you want us to play Celtic, Parma  or Sevilla? Maybe a nice trip to Brugge in a relegation decider? Or a League title decider to Forest, or even Rangers? 

It’s almost like the European Super League but booting out the teams that are perceived to get the favourable treatment I guess! 

Brilliant idea. Areed that another 6 clubs would rise to the top, such as is now, but the Premier League has been the pinnacle of World football for over 30 years and its taken that long to go tits up. You'd get a good 20 years based on this Idea.

1 hour ago, Saxondale said:

We should be looking extremely closely at the Bundesliga. They seem to have the model spot on.

* Dominated by one team and completely boring to watch 

• Like 1

No. Plus every game kicking off at 12 is horrendous. 

A reform is needed though. There's far to much money in the Premier League and has been for the past 10/15/20 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saxondale said:

I agree with the above points and it would nice to have a say in the league/at the club, and also better travel to games, but Bayern still dominate that league. The odd year we see a Dortmund or, this year, Leverkusen win the league but Bayern end up taking the best players (and maybe this year the best manager too). I'd rather see a more open league.

3 hours ago, Saxondale said:

I would underpin majorly that its because fans are willing to be at the centre of it. 

That can be us and can you - but fans need to start putting the time in and start collectively uniting. 

• Like 1

As I understand it the PL league needs 14 teams to approve any changes, my question is how have the 'have nots' allowed this to happen?.

LCFC can be charged with its contribution of guilt by voting for overseas revenues to be split unevenly with the Greedy 6 getting the lion's share, maybe they had illusions of grandeur

Any changes need to be made within.

They do seem to have a better structure, but I don’t know too much about how they’ve achieved it? How are their rules different?

Apart from fan shared ownership - which is the big stumbling block as it means changing ownership structures of some big organisations here 

All true. Counter to that is the British culture does not allow us to organise, develop and take action on a mass scale. We’re too middle class, comfortable and lazy.

Also their league is pointless. Bayern domination interspersed with a surprise package like leverkusen before Bayern raid them and dominate again. We’d all be whinging about ‘the big 1 domination’ within days 

• Like 1

Just now, Saxondale said:

Bayer Leverkusen are likely going to win this year.

Right. And how many times will they have won it compared to Bayern in the last 20 years? You know as well as I do that Bayern will come for their manager and best players in due course. The bundasliga isn’t anything to envy 

5 hours ago, Sly said:

not with all the downsides sadly no , but i was v happy when the so called big 6 were set to go and i think they and 3 or 4 more who fancy emsens as BIG IE VILLE NEWCASTLE everton west ham in time to come will join a euro league which will leave us and rest to a competitive league again, its 4me rangers celtic benfica sporting porto ajax feyenoord ect who would benefit as v dominant in own leagues and  i guess,  and our said bunch real barca milans ect who are greedy but it could be great for clubs after we wave em off.