Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
South Shire Fox

Set pieces

It doesn’t help we either don’t beat the first man, or, we do beat the first man but our 7ft centre back never wins a header (and never has done in his time here).

17 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

We had 13 corner kicks last night aiming for a bloke who is 6ft7 and didnt look remotely threatening from a single one. Have we actually scored from a direct freekick this season either? They are a massive part of winning football matches and it feels like they dont even attempt to practice them in training.

I would say, all they do is drill after drill of possession based games. 

Awful set pieces, dreadful finishing, defending has got worse.........but our arrogance is Olympic Gold standard. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Like 2

Glad this has been posted. The standard of our set pieces is atrocious and it's another area we've fallen behind the rest of the league. I actually think opposing teams play to this. Slow the game down and give away cheap free kicks/corners in the knowledge we clearly put no effort into utilising them. 

• Like 1

We give off the feeling that set pieces are beneath us - almost like a set piece goal is unworthy 

KDHs delivery has been an absolute joke for a while. 

I'd fine him every time he doesn't beat the first defender - truly atrocious

When you think how limply we defend corners and how we are bullied by other teams it really is remarkable - another sign of our causal arrogance in my view  

Edited by CrazyKopCorner
  • Haha 1

That fact that Copper seems to be one of the shorter keepers in the league and he didn’t look bothered at all.

Compare that to when we had Kasper, every corner I was worried.

I said in the post match thread that we haven’t adapted our game throughout this season. Set pieces when you win them should be seen as an opportunity to score. We are bereft of ideas and quality at corners. At one down under O’Neill, Pearson or Ranieri I always felt we could nick an equaliser. Not now or even last season. Enzo panics at the thought of being counterattacked rather than the actual objective which last night was to equalise ffs.

40 minutes ago, Claridge said:

KDH struggles with a 5 yd pass, yet he takes corners

This basically, I've no idea how he's become our set-piece taker or where any notion of him being a set-piece taker even came from. 

We have been terrible from set pieces for years. I genuinely can’t remember the last time we were a threat from them. Maybe 2017/18 when we had Maguire? Never get excited when we get them, so easy to defend and no one attacks them. 

Waste of time even having them they either hit the first man or no one can be arsed to try challenging for them so may as well just kick it to the opposition keeper and play on 

31 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

Bring Walsh, Taggert and Elliot back - now they knew how to attack a football ........ attack other players too in Walshy's case 

This, we have not taken a decent corner since Guppy left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1