Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Euro 2024 TV Schedule

8 minutes ago, Stadt said:

It's crept up without much build up so far imo

Now we're in a position where you can watch 2nd tier football from Belarus, I think international tournaments have lost a bit of their magic.

For me, a lot of the magic was watching a collection of the best english players come up against teams made up mainly of unknowns or top class players that you rarely ever get to see. Lots of different styles of football and an air of unpredictability.

Now the default tactic of almost every international team is pretty similar and if you have the slightest inclination, you can be pretty well versed on all teams.

With that in mind and then adding in the fact that our manager has gonads that size of garden peas, I find it very difficult to get up for it. Which is a shame as I used to absolutely love Euros/World Cups.

I'll still watch the games and take an interest, but I wish I had that same excitement that I had for it as a kid.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Now we're in a position where you can watch 2nd tier football from Belarus, I think international tournaments have lost a bit of their magic.

For me, a lot of the magic was watching a collection of the best english players come up against teams made up mainly of unknowns or top class players that you rarely ever get to see. Lots of different styles of football and an air of unpredictability.

Now the default tactic of almost every international team is pretty similar and if you have the slightest inclination, you can be pretty well versed on all teams.

With that in mind and then adding in the fact that our manager has gonads that size of garden peas, I find it very difficult to get up for it. Which is a shame as I used to absolutely love Euros/World Cups.

I'll still watch the games and take an interest, but I wish I had that same excitement that I had for it as a kid.

Agreed, the decline in newspaper circulation probably contributes too. As a kid the wall charts and speculation got me up for it - particularly as you said, we knew far less about other nations' players.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Totally. 2002 was last International competition without widespread internet use. Hence we didn't have a clue who Senegal were. By 2006, people knew what players Togo had. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Totally. 2002 was last International competition without widespread internet use. Hence we didn't have a clue who Senegal were. By 2006, people knew what players Togo had. 

Teams signing players off the back of 3 or 4 tournament games and then realising they're absolutely awful. Take me back! :D 

England first game on a Sunday night no fun, can't imagine many fans will be great mode with work in the morning. I heard somewhere some cinema's are looking showing all the games on the big screen... any chance for odeon to rip you off. Imagine paying £17 to watch a game on just a bigger screen you can watch in the pub or even at home for free.

30 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I remember 2006 felt like everyone in the country was involved the shirt is iconic as pretty much everyone had one. I remember going over to Fosse Park and getting one they were £20 without a name and number and £25 with. Everywhere were selling them at the same price too. I think i actually got mine from Asda at Fosse Park! 

You basically had to book a spot at a local pub to be able to watch it no matter what day the game was or what time it kicked off.

It doesn't feel like that at all now. People just moaning about a small flag on the back of the shirt and the cheaper shirt you can get is £85! The country just seems massively disconnected with the national team and even the press dont seem that bothered with them either. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Teams signing players off the back of 3 or 4 tournament games and then realising they're absolutely awful. Take me back! :D 

Remember everyone signing Romanians and Bulgarians post 1994

1990 was a watershed in this regards - it was the last World Cup with West Germany, USSR, Czechoslovakia for example. Costa Rica had to use one of their clubs shirts as their second kit. Tickets were pretty much widely on sale on the day. The USA then showed FIFA how to market the hell out of it all. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I think it's still great for kids. My nephew is now the same age as I was during Euro 96 and his excitement is on the same level. At the same time now as I become more disillusioned with the domestic game I enjoy sitting down and watching International or European games where the result is less predictable and you can watch some quality players you don't get to see as much. 

If anything, less hype over England makes it slightly more enjoyable.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bovril said:

I think it's still great for kids. My nephew is now the same age as I was during Euro 96 and his excitement is on the same level. At the same time now as I become more disillusioned with the domestic game I enjoy sitting down and watching International or European games where the result is less predictable and you can watch some quality players you don't get to see as much. 

If anything, less hype over England makes it slightly more enjoyable.  

The irony of it being that this is likely comparatively the strongest England team of many people's lifetimes, and they're favourites for a reason. The hype would be justified.

Really don’t enjoy the pretend hype- almost concourse like behaviour when England score. And this is coming from a 29 year old who averages about 30-35 live matches a season. I always enjoy watching the less fancied teams more than England. I hope England win but I’ll be crying out for Filbert Way by the 2nd round of group games.

1 minute ago, westernpark said:

Really don’t enjoy the pretend hype- almost concourse like behaviour when England score. And this is coming from a 29 year old who averages about 30-35 live matches a season. I always enjoy watching the less fancied teams more than England. I hope England win but I’ll be crying out for Filbert Way by the 2nd round of group games.

Worst thing about these tournaments are the England fans who don't usually watch football. As snobbish as that sounds. 

47 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

I remember 2006 felt like everyone in the country was involved the shirt is iconic as pretty much everyone had one. I remember going over to Fosse Park and getting one they were £20 without a name and number and £25 with. Everywhere were selling them at the same price too. I think i actually got mine from Asda at Fosse Park

Was working at JJB at Fosse Park and was doing all the shirt printing. Think that's about the time I went off England

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

Worst thing about these tournaments are the England fans who don't usually watch football. As snobbish as that sounds. 

Yeah it does sound snobbish but I totally agree, although I wouldn’t count those who aren’t from the usual demographic of football watchers in that. Sometimes it can be good fun enjoying it with people at work who have no club but are totally harmless. It’s those blokes who chuck their beer in the air and film it for social media.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I'm always here x

• Haha 4

Southgate does sap my enthusiasm for England, it's like he walks into every trap. The idea we gave huge expectations as a nation is completely false, somehow his insipid performances are seen as a success. 

• Like 2

One I'm happy to join all the middle aged daily mail moaners with, I am completely disinterested in England matches. Even had tickets for the game against Serbia on the Sunday but gave them up as I'd rather go to Munich earlier to enjoy the delights there in advance of the Romania game we have tickets for. Which would've been unheard of as a teenager as I dreamed of watching England in major tournaments. However I won't constantly profess 'England's gone mate' I will watch matches and vaguely hope they win.

For me Southgate has lost all interest for me. We have on paper the greatest crop of players possibly ever? Subjective as that is I know. We are benefitting from our players playing under elite coaches like Pep and Klopp. Other nations are under historic declines (have Germany ever been this bad?). And absolutely nothing to show for it.

Reminds of a competitor firm here. They have invested heavily in worldwide talent, they have an all star crop, they should be cleaning up the market. But they are happy patting themselves on the back because they are 9% up YoY, when they should be at double digit growth. Loser mentality.

Hope England do well but will probably have more enthusiasm once the tournament starts. Would feel more excited with a less cautious manager. Can't wait to watch the likes of Slovenia v Serbia at 2pm on a weekday afternoon while supposed to be working.

• Haha 1

I am one of the "Southgate is no good, just lucky" camp so I struggle to believe people that think England can go all the way.  2nd round in a perfect world is top the group and France & Netherlands auto qualify so we get one of the 3rd place teams from D, E or F. That then leads to a quarter final against 2nd in A or B, only to hit most likely France in the semi's. 

That leads back to it though. Southgate against any big team is found wanting and we are looking for the path of least resistance to get through so he isn't tested until the later stages and then we are found wanting. I hope to be proven wrong. 

:dunno: I'll say it again - IMO if Southgate was a big, bruising, blood and guts longball "4-4-fvcking-2" merchant with a jovial, no-prisoners, "speaks his mind" manner to the media and the population as a whole, he'd get much more praise from the fanbase for the same tournament results with the same squad as he does now.