Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

5 hours ago, Soup said:

I watched the documentary about Sixto Rodriguez again recently. It's called Searching for Sugerman and was recommended to me on here a few years back. He was singer songwriter back the early 70's but hardly sold a record but unknowingly was huge in South Africa. An absolute gem and life affirming. Whoever did recommend it, thank you.

Watched this on a plane a few years back.. discovered that he was "Bigger than Elvis" here in Perth before i arrived here. He was due to tour Australia in 2021, but damn you covid :)

A great story, really well told

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Might have been me… An unbelievable story that needs a much bigger audience!

Yes definitely. I thought film was put together really well also, the passion and the enthusiasm of the South African guys really showed. You could tell how much it meant to them.

6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Watched this on a plane a few years back.. discovered that he was "Bigger than Elvis" here in Perth before i arrived here. He was due to tour Australia in 2021, but damn you covid :)

A great story, really well told

I didn't know he was big there as well, haha that's mad. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2021 at 09:25, Unabomber said:

Watched the unforgivable on Netflix last night, would recommend

3 hours ago, FOXYTALK said:

Agreed. Watchable flick with Sandra Bullock .Ending was a bit meh after building some suspense. 7/10

Made two guesses at the twist within 5 minutes and was 50% right. Regardless, found it to be enjoyable and Bullock's stoic performance was brilliant. On the whole though spent the most of the film talking about how all this was caused by America's healthcare and gun rights problems. 

1 hour ago, Royston. said:

The suicide squad

As superhero/villian flicks go, this is messy and OTT. 

It pokes fun at itself throughout and is slightly better than the original just because it embraces stupidity.

Man, I thought this was one of the best DC/Warner has done.

On 04/12/2021 at 21:01, Soup said:

I watched the documentary about Sixto Rodriguez again recently. It's called Searching for Sugerman and was recommended to me on here a few years back. He was singer songwriter back the early 70's but hardly sold a record but unknowingly was huge in South Africa. An absolute gem and life affirming. Whoever did recommend it, thank you.

Great film. Watched this at a (free) outdoor cinema in East Berlin about 10 years ago. Kept wondering what the catch was going to be, but there was none. Amazing vibe there for watching that film. 

11 hours ago, Royston. said:

It did drag on. I stayed with it til the end but it is a largely forgettable film.

10 hours ago, danny. said:

Ha, me and my wife watched Don’t Look Up last night and both thought it was brilliant. 

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Thought it was absolutely brilliant 

Opinions!!

I just thought it was far too slow to get my short attention span!!!

11 hours ago, danny. said:

Great film. Watched this at a (free) outdoor cinema in East Berlin about 10 years ago. Kept wondering what the catch was going to be, but there was none. Amazing vibe there for watching that film. 

Wow that sounds ace, sounds right up my street. Love stuff like that 

Don't look up was great as well. Best film I've seen in a while

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Quite enjoyed the Matrix Resurrections. 

Keanu & Carrie-Anne still got the moves :thumbup:

Do you have to be up to date with the previous mythology/continuity to enjoy it?

I would like to go and see it but unlike my rewatch of all Spider-Man fillums I really feel like I can’t be arsed. 

16 hours ago, danny. said:

That would be an amazing film to see in an outdoor crowd! Such a great story.

6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Do you have to be up to date with the previous mythology/continuity to enjoy it?

I would like to go and see it but unlike my rewatch of all Spider-Man fillums I really feel like I can’t be arsed. 

You do really, but they do an O.K. job of explaining what's previously happened for those who aren't up to speed on the previous trilogy.

It's still a good film in isolation though.

10 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

That would be an amazing film to see in an outdoor crowd! Such a great story.

It was great, perfect atmosphere especially for that kind of film. 

There is a decent outdoor cinema scene in Berlin https://www.tip-berlin.de/tip-english/parks-popcorn-open-air-cinema-berlin/amp/

Its amazing in the summer. It’s a shame we can’t have it in this country, would just be full of idiots - can barely watch a film in an indoor cinema these days without someone ruining it. I did see one place trying to do one in Abbey park but it was like £25, many are free in Berlin, with extortionate food and drink prices, like €2 for a pint of pilsner and €1 for a giant pretzel.