Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

On 03/08/2021 at 09:40, Leicester_Loyal said:

Watched Snatch last night, still as fantastic as ever lol

'I thought you said he was a getaway driver, what the **** can he get away from?!'

Just watched that last night for the first time in YEARS, and loved it. Loved going back to a film from 20 years and noticing people whose careers have really took off since, like the brilliant Stephen Graham and Lennie James. 

"Personified in this case by an orrible cvnt. Me."

Classic.

Temple.  Horror on Netflix about 3 American tourists who visit Japan to look at Shinto shrines.  The good thing about it is it's only about an hour and fifteen minutes long so it's not too much of your time that you won't get back.

The Silence.  Also horror on Netflix, this time about the world being overrun by prehistoric flying reptiles after they're released from millennia of seclusion in an unexplored cave network.  They're blind and hunt via sound (so it's got Birdbox/A Quiet Place vibes) but apparently never developed echolocation during their time living in pure darkness which makes for some nonsensical 'sneaking' scenes and makes you wonder why the movie isn't just 90 minutes of them flying into trees or buildings or literally anything inanimate and noiseless.  A bit more of your time that you won't get back.

The Conjuring.  Finally a genuinely well crafted horror flick, got there at the 3rd attempt.  Directed by the same guy who did the Insidious films of which so far I've only seen the first one. Incidentally that was the last time I came away from a horror film feeling sufficiently spooked so it looks like I need to go through both franchises, guy knows what he's doing.

• Like 2

Spree.  A vlogger desperate for views goes on a homicidal rampage through LA.  More parody than horror (in fact I wouldn't call it a horror at all really), the film's a critique on fame culture in a similar vein to God Bless America.  It isn't as acerbic or side-splitting as that film but it's enjoyable enough and I found the ending darkly accurate.  Good for a one-off viewing if you need something that doesn't require too much thinking or if you really dislike 'personalities' like RiceGum and the Paul brothers.

Circle (2015).  A bunch of strangers are abducted by aliens and made to vote for someone to die until only one remains.  Interesting concept which lightly explores prejudice and morality.  The fact it all takes place in one room (well except for the very final 30 seconds or so) and relies on dialogue rather than visual storytelling makes it an excellent candidate for background viewing while you do the ironing or play a game or something.

Went to see Free Guy at the cinema. The italics are important, this was my first visit since I saw the death of Tony Stark. It reminded me why I’ve avoided cinemas since Thanos got his arse kicked.

Ignoring the cockroach effect of a hundred people eating crisps throughout the film, couple in front took the pre-film advice to turn off phones and STFU as directed at everyone but themselves. She spent 40 minutes updating her snaptweets, he spent the time demonstrating his lung capacity by talking bollocks without pausing for breath.

By the time we got to the Easter eggs in the film, if that’s what we are calling them even though it makes me feel nauseous, I hated the film, the audience and the entire concept of cinema.

The best thing about it all was the delightful woman who beat me to the punch, telling bloke to shut it and leave. Not all heroes wear capes, some eat popcorn quietly.

• Haha 2

The Platform.  Relatively well received on RT which I can only put down to the 'ooh foreign film' effect.  What starts as a promising allegory for capitalism makes way for shock visuals and a nonsense cop-out of a finale which doesn't really say anything.  Shame. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't Breathe 2. Completely nonsensical, but quite fun. The first was a tense horror / thriller, wheres the sequel has gone pretty much full action movie, and attempts to turn the quite fvcked up antagonist into some sort of weird anti-hero. It didn't really work. Enjoyable enough, though.

A Quiet Place Part II. Rehash of the first film in almost every way minus the originality. The addition of Cillian Murphy a bonus in an otherwise pretty average horror. 

Edited by RoboFox

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

New matrix trailer makes it look like a remake of the first film with updated special effects. Sure it will be enjoyable but if it is a remake with a slight twist, being they're in the next version of the matrix, not sure how necessary it really is, hope I'm proved wrong and it's original. 

It does seem a bit of a rehash. 

And has CAM got a bit of de-aging going on? She looked really old in Jessica Jones but not so much here. 

Watched Nobody last night ...   if you like John Wick or that one about the chap in the coffee shop who has a new life after being a mobster called Joey (can't remember the name of it) ...  you'll love it.     Despite the fact you know what is going to happen it's great watching the transformation ...   loadsa blood spattered violence and very entertaining  ..   great stuff.   Recommended. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've got lots of trips to the cinema lined up, it's rare I go more than once a year but even then its more because I fancy it than feel like I really, really want to see a film at the cinema. Dune, Matrix 4, The many saints of Newark and I might even fancy the new spiderman if its got all the rumoured returning cast members. 

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I've got lots of trips to the cinema lined up, it's rare I go more than once a year but even then its more because I fancy it than feel like I really, really want to see a film at the cinema. Dune, Matrix 4, The many saints of Newark and I might even fancy the new spiderman if its got all the rumoured returning cast members. 

Same here. I started a Limitless account at the local Odeon a few weeks ago and I've already seen 8 films. I could have seen more but there were one or two I couldn't be arsed to go see like Old and Reminiscence. 

On 09/09/2021 at 15:02, RoboFox said:

Don't Breathe 2. Completely nonsensical, but quite fun. The first was a tense horror / thriller, wheres the sequel has gone pretty much full action movie, and attempts to turn the quite fvcked up antagonist into some sort of weird anti-hero. It didn't really work. Enjoyable enough, though.

A Quiet Place Part II. Rehash of the first film in almost every way minus the originality. The addition of Cillian Murphy a bonus in an otherwise pretty average horror. 

A Quiet Place 1 was a decent watch but I can imagine anything that comes after will be formulaic. Won't bother.

58 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Same here. I started a Limitless account at the local Odeon a few weeks ago and I've already seen 8 films. I could have seen more but there were one or two I couldn't be arsed to go see like Old and Reminiscence. 

I'm not a huge fan of the cinema really just some films I think are worth it. I went to see Tennet with the missus just because of the pandemic and all was nice to do something normal, before that it was probably alien covenant, over 4 years ago. I would have seen the star wars films ordinarily but I heard how abysmal they were I didn't bother. For 3 or 4 films to be out in the next few months I'd love to see is crazy though, hopefully things don't get shut down again so I can. 

• Like 1

On 10/09/2021 at 11:21, Countryfox said:

Watched Nobody last night ...   if you like John Wick or that one about the chap in the coffee shop who has a new life after being a mobster called Joey (can't remember the name of it) ...  you'll love it.     Despite the fact you know what is going to happen it's great watching the transformation ...   loadsa blood spattered violence and very entertaining  ..   great stuff.   Recommended. :)

Decent rating in the paper today …. :thumbup:

A83D7529-400B-416B-AD6B-CFFF59D475C0.jpeg

On 09/09/2021 at 15:02, RoboFox said:

I found it added a lot more "why the fvck" moments, like when the boy with a broken leg goes exploring for no apparent reason.  Was also a bit disappointed by the invasion retcon: In the first film they do a bit of world building by showing us a newspaper headline on a deserted street declaring that sound is what's attracting the monsters.  This implies at at the very least a couple of days of half-normal operation where the world gets to grips with what's going on before most of the population is slaughtered.  Yet in the 2nd film the comet falls and they're instantly overrun.  It's a bit nitpicky perhaps but I like well-fleshed out, consistent narratives.

• Like 1