Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Watched Malignant last night. It was ABSOLUTELY NOT what I expected. 

I hadn't seen anything about it so was certain it was going to be a pretty standard ghost / demon affair comparable to Insidious or Sinister of which there are about 10 a year. Nope. 

It was a proper throw back to the Dario Argento-style giallo movies mixed in with some batsh*t crazy 80s style body horror and splatter black comedy. It was a bonkers, camp satire of horror. 

It doesn't seem to have been very well received critically, but it was one of the most entertained I've been by for a while. 

Studios should allow these kind one-off films to be made more often rather than pumping out generic shit or sequels constantly.

• Like 1

Also watched (recommended by a normal person in the pub last night)  The Outpost on Amazon prime  ..  based on real events at a remote American army outpost in Afghanistan ..  slightly Black hawk down ish in a way but with even more heroism.   Edge of the seat riveting stuff and nice to see the real soldiers involved at the end. Well recommended. 

38 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Nintendo have just announced a Mario movie

Chris Pratt is Mario

Anya Taylor-Joy is Princess Peach

Charlie Day is Luigi

Jack Black is Bowser

Keegan-Michael Key is Toad

Seth Rogan is Donkey Kong

Worrying... is Mario going to sound like Andy from Parks & Rec?  I really hope not but I don't see Chris Pratt doing the mock-Italian accent either... hope I'm proven wrong.  Charlie Day as Luigi is another weird one at first glance but I guess we can only wait and see what the early clips are like.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I enjoyed it.

Yeah I get how it's enjoyable and it's well done but the script is ridiculously predictable, the new characters and dialogue are very try-hard and the storyline didn't make much sense to me. Having said that I'm not a James Bond fan and got dragged with a mate. My comment was more to counterbalance all the 5 star reviews that said it was the best film ever though haha

33 minutes ago, bmt said:

Yeah I get how it's enjoyable and it's well done but the script is ridiculously predictable, the new characters and dialogue are very try-hard and the storyline didn't make much sense to me. Having said that I'm not a James Bond fan and got dragged with a mate. My comment was more to counterbalance all the 5 star reviews that said it was the best film ever though haha

Like most films of that nature you can see where its heading at times. I've heard people say its too long, but I struggle to see what you could take out. Everything in it built the story, you start taking 20-30 minutes out and you lose elements of the story.

I thought it was a good send off for Craig. I hadn't watched hid other 4 recently, and it's been 6 years since the last one, so I might rewatch them all when this one's finished at the cinema and available to stream, as I've probably missed some tie ins to previous films.

Edited by Facecloth

On 03/10/2021 at 09:10, Facecloth said:

Like most films of that nature you can see where its heading at times. I've heard people say its too long, but I struggle to see what you could take out. Everything in it built the story, you start taking 20-30 minutes out and you lose elements of the story.

I thought it was a good send off for Craig. I hadn't watched hid other 4 recently, and it's been 6 years since the last one, so I might rewatch them all when this one's finished at the cinema and available to stream, as I've probably missed some tie ins to previous films.

I’ve enjoyed the Daniel Craig tenure on the whole. But I watched no time to die last night and as a lover of the books I was left feeling disappointed and on the verge of angry at the direction they went in. It was predictable from about half way through, it was almost as though they were sign  posting where it was going to go. 

It wasn’t the fully woke Bond that I was fearing, so not all bad but you could see how they were moving away from Bond as was. 

Also, so many incomplete plot strands- most of which I’m not convinced they are going to revisit or answer in the future. 

Just my opinion and I’ve tried to express my views without spoiling the film even if the alien abduction scene was that step too far. 

On 24/09/2021 at 00:18, The Bear said:

Went to see The Many Saints Of Newark tonight. Unfortunately it's extremely forgettable, the plot barely involves Tony, and other than some nods to characters you've heard of from the TV show it's pretty much a B movie with a fairly dull story.

Disappointing. 3/10.

Yep. It was a bit odd - not really a Sopranos film and not really a mob film. 

Shame, as I was looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 00:18, The Bear said:

Went to see The Many Saints Of Newark tonight. Unfortunately it's extremely forgettable, the plot barely involves Tony, and other than some nods to characters you've heard of from the TV show it's pretty much a B movie with a fairly dull story.

Disappointing. 3/10.

feel like the Italian-American gangster movie has almost run its course 

On 23/09/2021 at 23:41, moore_94 said:

Charlie Day is Luigi

lol

Missed opportunity though. 

Charlie Day as Mario 

Rob McElhenney as Luigi 

Mary Elizabeth Ellis as Princess Peach 

Kaitlin Olson as an extremely bitter and envious Princess Daisy 

Danny DeVito as a massively vulgar frog boy Toad

Glen Howerton as Waluigi

Gregory Scott Cummins as Bowser 

That I'd watch. I'm not sure it'd be family friendly though. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Haha 1

On 10/09/2021 at 11:21, Countryfox said:

Watched Nobody last night ...   if you like John Wick or that one about the chap in the coffee shop who has a new life after being a mobster called Joey (can't remember the name of it) ...  you'll love it.     Despite the fact you know what is going to happen it's great watching the transformation ...   loadsa blood spattered violence and very entertaining  ..   great stuff.   Recommended. :)

Great film :thumbup:

• Like 1

Started to rewatch the Harry Potter franchise haven't probably watched in nearly ten years, certainly bringing back some good memories have to say I do feel Chris Columbus got the balance right in terms of director. Movies he directed seem to feel pretty fun and colourful, after that I dunno the series perhaps went a tad too serious and a lot scenes where it was so dark you can't hear or see what's going on. 

• Like 1

On 06/10/2021 at 09:29, Finnegan said:

lol

Missed opportunity though. 

Charlie Day as Mario 

Rob McElhenney as Luigi 

Mary Elizabeth Ellis as Princess Peach 

Kaitlin Olson as an extremely bitter and envious Princess Daisy 

Danny DeVito as a massively vulgar frog boy Toad

Glen Howerton as Waluigi

Gregory Scott Cummins as Bowser 

That I'd watch. I'm not sure it'd be family friendly though. 

Love it but I would make a couple of changes:

McElhenny and Howerton split Mario duties with Devito as Lazarus as Bowser.  Rickety Cricket as Toad.  I guess keep Day as Luigi.