Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

This is a game we could/should have won if we displayed more tenacity in the batting department. It's strikingly clear how far the bowling group has developed, but that's not the case with the batting group. Longer term I hope we are trying to identify a couple of reasonably experienced batters for next season - I know that is easier said than done though. There simply aren't many about who aren't already playing for their first team. Further ahead both Cosgrove and Horton will be out of contract at the end of 2020. The former will be 36 and the latter 38. I think Javed and Dexter are out of contract at the end of 2019. So there are lots of batting berths to fill. It's only logical now to give Evans a good run at the top of the order to see if he has the potential. Otherwise we will never know. It would also make sense to give Swindells a run soon.

And perhaps Cosgrove needs a game for the seconds in an attempt to bat for four hours and rediscover the art of compiling a game winning knock of 130 plus. I don't doubt he has the ability, but does he have the desire?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

This is a game we could/should have won if we displayed more tenacity in the batting department. It's strikingly clear how far the bowling group has developed, but that's not the case with the batting group. Longer term I hope we are trying to identify a couple of reasonably experienced batters for next season - I know that is easier said than done though. There simply aren't many about who aren't already playing for their first team. Further ahead both Cosgrove and Horton will be out of contract at the end of 2020. The former will be 36 and the latter 38. I think Javed and Dexter are out of contract at the end of 2019. So there are lots of batting berths to fill. It's only logical now to give Evans a good run at the top of the order to see if he has the potential. Otherwise we will never know. It would also make sense to give Swindells a run soon.

And perhaps Cosgrove needs a game for the seconds in an attempt to bat for four hours and rediscover the art of compiling a game winning knock of 130 plus. I don't doubt he has the ability, but does he have the desire?

I think the lack of desire for Cosgrove is correct, he is coming to the end and under no pressure to perform.

Javid just doesn't seem up to it, Dexter awol and Only really Azad and Ackermann look to have the necessary ability and patience to produce telling innings.

With the apparent financial calamity we are in I can't see there being the money to bring in anybody. Might have to be a youth job again.

I think Khan was full of false promises. New regime at least seem honest and straight with us. 

I wonder if we could look at marginal younger players from other counties. May be a loan or 2, I mean Surrey have about 20 batsmen!

Evans deserves a run, I would also have a look at Munsey, give him a season.

Look at Asad he was desperately looking for a county for years. Let's have a look

I've said it before but Cosgroves conditioning tells a tale, he has no discipline with his fitness, diet etc. 

He has no discipline when he bats. 

Edited by Cake
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HaroldBazBo said:

It also sets a bad example if the youngsters turn up and train their backsides off and he rocks up in an unathletic form.

Totally agree with this point. Our purpose as a County has to be to develop young English players supported by some senior pros. Ackers, Wright, Mo set the standard. There is little point spending large potions of our budget on players in decline.

10 hours ago, HaroldBazBo said:

I'd drop Cosgrove and bring in Adil Ali for a run.

Also Javed for Evans.

Adil Ali has barely scored a run in the 2nds in the past couple of years.For all the criticism levelled at Cozzy he still averages over 30 this season he looks In good form just guilty of playing some stupid shots atm

1 hour ago, everton carr said:

Adil Ali has barely scored a run in the 2nds in the past couple of years.For all the criticism levelled at Cozzy he still averages over 30 this season he looks In good form just guilty of playing some stupid shots atm

That’s true with regard Cozzie. He makes run scoring look easy, but not for long. That’s why I’d recommend he has a game in the 2s and tries to bat all day, get used to spending 4 hours at the crease. I don’t think he has managed that for two years. 

Likewise Horton, frankly. You see other experienced pros around the circuit trying to find form in the 2s so should our guys. Horton doesn’t move his feet to wide ones, Cosgrove gets stuck on the crease. It’s not even that complicated!

6 hours ago, everton carr said:

There's an argument though that we give him one last run in the first team to see if he can make it, because I think this is his last year, so it will be adios to Adil if he doesn't put a run of first XL scores together.  Surely can't give him a new contract on the basis that he might smack a few runs batting no.6 in the Blast.

On brighter note we should do well while the Hundred is on next season as surely none or very few of our players will be in the draft.

1 hour ago, MaidstoneFox said:

There's an argument though that we give him one last run in the first team to see if he can make it, because I think this is his last year, so it will be adios to Adil if he doesn't put a run of first XL scores together.  Surely can't give him a new contract on the basis that he might smack a few runs batting no.6 in the Blast.

On brighter note we should do well while the Hundred is on next season as surely none or very few of our players will be in the draft.

Good point though unconfirmed rumours are that he will be an under 25 comp so not sure are young players match up that well against other Counties

2 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Another double take as I wondered if this was me. 

2 foxes fans in Maidstone. What a wonderful age we live in. 

I understand the Cosgrove argument but he just gives it away. Having said that we have nothing better. 

Horton

Azad

Cosgrove

Ackerman

Evans 

Dearden

Hill

Lilley 

Taylor

Wright 

Abbass

For Monday. 

2 hours ago, Cake said:

I understand the Cosgrove argument but he just gives it away. Having said that we have nothing better. 

Horton

Azad

Cosgrove

Ackerman

Evans 

Dearden

Hill

Lilley 

Taylor

Wright 

Abbass

For Monday. 

Dexter for Evans, Lilley won’t play, depending on the pitch either Parkinson or Klein.

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Dexter for Evans, Lilley won’t play, depending on the pitch either Parkinson or Klein.

I don't think Dexter can play in the first team. That's what I heard. 

I'd give Lilley a go

8 minutes ago, HaroldBazBo said:

Do we know what the "situation" is? It's a bit bizarre as he's playing cricket.

Think it's too early to make a call on Lilley, chuck him in, especially against his old county.

Don't think anyone knows the story with Dexter just that because of legal issues they are not allowed to comment

5 hours ago, everton carr said:

looks like the talks with Dexy went well back in squad tommorrow Javid and Hill make way for Swindells and Evans both local lads hope they go well

Great. Common sense prevails. 

Had tickets today to watch South African v Bangladesh. Brilliant atmosphere. 

Let's home for another big upset against Lancs!