Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

1 minute ago, harpendenfox said:

I don’t see it as a demand,I think they see it as an opportunity. Frankly if we could sell out Grace Road with an IPL game and County made some much needed dosh from the idea, would we not rather like that?

I'd cringe to be honest because we'd likely be inviting the wrath of other counties and give the ECB another stick to beat us with.

I'd rather we tried to tempt them down to watch the County.

It's a shame that people would only come down to Grace Road to watch franchise teams rather than an historic county club.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

James Vince is their captain and wants an England recall.

Might help his cause to show a bit of class and address this. What's done is done, but he and his keeper should be making a fairly public apology in my view (public only because its good for the game and JV needs it to be visible to ECB)

18 minutes ago, HaroldBazBo said:

I’m pretty pissed off about today.

He’s a really decent prospect but when you try and nick a dicey single off the second ball of the day and run out your skipper?

That after a piss poor bowling display.

Yep. Ridiculous run out to be quite honest. 

I think although marginal the batting showed a bit more promise than the bowling. 

I was critical of Dearden but batted well today but was sawn off today awful decision. As for Azads dismissal well. Disgusting. 

But you can't have that tail. It's ridiculous. Swindells is probably a number 7. 

• Like 1

Looks like the county have made a complaint to the ECB about the stumping, ignoring most of the Hampshire side running on the wicket a wider angle shows the close I fielders also appealing for the stumping can see a points deduction looming as Wisden on it as well bit desperate when you have a team following on 400 behind.

• Like 1

Just walk all over the wicket there as well apart from number 58 who hops over at the end. Don't they know they are being filmed and why don't the umpires say anything? Even when I played local league cricket in Leicestershire, players from both sides would scream at anyone walking across the wicket like that. Maybe they all have such little respect for Leics.

• Sad 1
14 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Would the profits be spread across all County teams or would it just benefit Test Ground clubs and make them even richer?

39 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Just walk all over the wicket there as well apart from number 58 who hops over at the end. Don't they know they are being filmed and why don't the umpires say anything? Even when I played local league cricket in Leicestershire, players from both sides would scream at anyone walking across the wicket like that. Maybe they all have such little respect for Leics.

I never played at a particularly high level. Good village level I suppose and you're spot on... there are certain things that just aren't cricket.

Poor decisions happen and tempers sometimes frayed, but cheating and running all over the wicket were simply not tolerated in any way, shape or form.

• Like 2

Can't believe that. Guessing they'll get a fine for it? 

Wicket keeper needs suspending though. Quite blatant cheating. Other players probably too busy appealing so might not have actually noticed but the keeper there knows exactly what he's doing. 

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Can't believe that. Guessing they'll get a fine for it? 

Wicket keeper needs suspending though. Quite blatant cheating. Other players probably too busy appealing so might not have actually noticed but the keeper there knows exactly what he's doing. 

I can believe that some of the other players didn't know. The correct thing there is for the keeper to tell his captain and for his captain to call the batsman back.

Interesting dynamic as James Vince has effectively sacked off a load of cash from IPL to play for Hampshire to try to force his way in to the England side, and he did bat beautifully. He is also the captain in question here. He probably big-time regrets not having called Azad back; not least as they were cruising to victory regardless. Even from a selfish view; James Vince could have framed himself here as  the 'good guy' upholding the spirit of the game (Joe Root will be busy telling anyone who will listen that he would have called Azad back!). It was obvious that it would be noticed, so I fully suspect he is kicking himself.

Lots of Hampshire supporters on twitter are trying to offer the excuse that the keeper didn't know the rules or he was only appealing for caught behind. That's absolutely tosh and in any case, would not have prevented them calling Azad back.

Ultimately it taints their win completely and I hope they get suspensions and docked the points. They outplayed us.. and I would normally say 'outclassed' but you have to say, its hard to talk about class when such cheating is involved.

What I think is terrible is:

- the desperation for Hampshire fans to condemn this, instead searching for excuses. If it was Leicestershire doing this; I'd be horrified. In most sports, but perhaps cricket more than any other, being gentlemanly and playing in the spirit (as well as laws of the game) are tantamount. All cricket fans should be calling this out for what it is - cheating.

- the Hampshire players also run all over the pitch, knowing they don't have to bat on it again. Why was this simply tolerated?

I'd prefer to lose having played in the spirit of the game (which before anyone says, is probably fortunate as a Leics fan I do admit that) than win whilst also cheating.

• Like 3
Just now, The People's Hero said:

I can believe that some of the other players didn't know. The correct thing there is for the keeper to tell his captain and for his captain to call the batsman back.

Interesting dynamic as James Vince has effectively sacked off a load of cash from IPL to play for Hampshire to try to force his way in to the England side, and he did bat beautifully. He is also the captain in question here. He probably big-time regrets not having called Azad back; not least as they were cruising to victory regardless. Even from a selfish view; James Vince could have framed himself here as  the 'good guy' upholding the spirit of the game (Joe Root will be busy telling anyone who will listen that he would have called Azad back!). It was obvious that it would be noticed, so I fully suspect he is kicking himself.

Lots of Hampshire supporters on twitter are trying to offer the excuse that the keeper didn't know the rules or he was only appealing for caught behind. That's absolutely tosh and in any case, would not have prevented them calling Azad back.

Ultimately it taints their win completely and I hope they get suspensions and docked the points. They outplayed us.. and I would normally say 'outclassed' but you have to say, its hard to talk about class when such cheating is involved.

- the desperation for Hampshire fans to condemn this, instead searching for excuses. If it was Leicestershire doing this; I'd be horrified. In most sports, but perhaps cricket more than any other, being gentlemanly and playing in the spirit (as well as laws of the game) are tantamount. All cricket fans should be calling this out for what it is - cheating.

- the Hampshire players also run all over the pitch, knowing they don't have to bat on it again. Why was this simply tolerated?

I'd prefer to lose having played in the spirit of the game (which before anyone says, is probably fortunate as a Leics fan I do admit that) than win whilst also cheating.

Agreed. 

The fact some Hampshire fans are ready to defend blatant cheating says more about them than anyone or anything else. 

4 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Agree really. I think docking points is the only answer to uphold the spirit of the game. These sort of incidents always remind me of Compton Cricket club in Los Angeles, which was formed to develop the wider ideals of sportsmanship that cricket embodies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_Cricket_Club#:~:text=The Compton Cricket Club (CCC,American-born exhibition cricket team.

I think Hampshire has always been my least favourite county side.

16 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Agree really. I think docking points is the only answer to uphold the spirit of the game. These sort of incidents always remind me of Compton Cricket club in Los Angeles, which was formed to develop the wider ideals of sportsmanship that cricket embodies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_Cricket_Club#:~:text=The Compton Cricket Club (CCC,American-born exhibition cricket team.

I think Hampshire has always been my least favourite county side.

Yes; cricket is a bit less tribal than football, obviously, and I don't dislike any side in a major way, but somehow if you'd posed the suggestion a keeper from a county would do this; McManus and Hampshire would be near the top (or at the top) of the list.

Notts I don't really like, but mainly as they seem to endlessly poach our players. 

The correct play; even if they aren't sorry in the slightest, was for Vince and McManus to come out for that limp, spineless interview Vince actually gave and to just apologise for cheating. It would have now blown over.