Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

6 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Ta for the update :thumbup:

Congrats to Jamie. it may be a glorified participation medal but he still had to have the courage to apply for and compete in a large sporting event the first place, good on him.  

The whole Ryanair business is an absolute shambles, the stuff private companies can get away with in this country is criminal but nothing will ever be done about it. 

Yep, he's got some balls has Jamie ..   (hope that doesn't start you and Bucey off again ..  nah, its too early for him to be on the weed) ...    he also competes at down hill skiing with a chap behind telling him which way to turn ...   I find that scary enough myself and I can see where I'm going !    Looking forward to meeting up for a pie and a pint and hearing all about it when he gets back and having a chuckle when his food goes flying all over the plate ...   :).     I think he's in a cycle event tonight ....     good luck mate !

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Better day today but so tired.

A family member has been on holiday and in secret I have arranged for a load of work to be done on their house so I stayed up till 3am to see their reaction when they got home. Buzzing.

is it a bee hive?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Better day today but so tired.

A family member has been on holiday and in secret I have arranged for a load of work to be done on their house so I stayed up till 3am to see their reaction when they got home. Buzzing.

Nice work, Costock.

Bricked-up-door.thumb.jpg.6604b2687bdc3f28c41ac19ff0826287.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spent all afternoon waiting in on my day off for a boiler service, only to get a phone call 30 mins ago to say they won't be able to make it. :dry:

I know it's not necessarily the engineer's fault, but it's symptomatic of English business whereby a company is run with zero slack in the system to compensate for unforeseen (though often probable) problems, so that when they occur, the customer simply gets bumped... they'll deal with the complaints later!

Employ enough people to do the frikking job! :angry:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Spent all afternoon waiting in on my day off for a boiler service, only to get a phone call 30 mins ago to say they won't be able to make it. :dry:

I know it's not necessarily the engineer's fault, but it's symptomatic of English business whereby a company is run with zero slack in the system to compensate for unforeseen (though often probable) problems, so that when they occur, the customer simply gets bumped... they'll deal with the complaints later!

Employ enough people to do the frikking job! :angry:

I had the same thing with BT on Monday - except they didn't even make contact: 6 hours waiting at home and they just didn't turn up - and this was after a week of cock-ups and misinformation.

When I called to query it, they just shuttled me around and kept me on hold for 45 mins, then said they'd been "bogged down with work"....no explanation as to why they hadn't even called. So, I've raised a formal complaint on them and demanded compensation....worth trying, at least - their cock-ups last week cost me a £400 job.

Bloke came yesterday, finally someone who knew what he was doing (e.g. able to tell a BT socket from a non-BT socket) and was inclined to be helpful rather than rushing out the door ASAP or spouting endless bullshit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I had the same thing with BT on Monday - except they didn't even make contact: 6 hours waiting at home and they just didn't turn up - and this was after a week of cock-ups and misinformation.

When I called to query it, they just shuttled me around and kept me on hold for 45 mins, then said they'd been "bogged down with work"....no explanation as to why they hadn't even called. So, I've raised a formal complaint on them and demanded compensation....worth trying, at least - their cock-ups last week cost me a £400 job.

Bloke came yesterday, finally someone who knew what he was doing (e.g. able to tell a BT socket from a non-BT socket) and was inclined to be helpful rather than rushing out the door ASAP or spouting endless bullshit.

It's my experience that the actual engineers are genuinely helpful, but like many in employment, on too tight a schedule, so that the elite at the top of the corporate pyramid can earn as much as possible.

I sound proper communist, but I'm not... I just expect a decent service for a decent payment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

It's my experience that the actual engineers are genuinely helpful, but like many in employment, on too tight a schedule, so that the elite at the top of the corporate pyramid can earn as much as possible.

I sound proper communist, but I'm not... I just expect a decent service for a decent payment.

I'm sure you're right - profit (& bonus) maximisation, shareholder value etc.

That's all very well if it's achieved by providing a good service, operating an efficient business etc.

But they seem to be at the point where they're cutting everything back so much that they're providing a rubbish service, alienating customers etc. If I get reliable word of anyone like Virgin being better, I'll be off at the end of my contract....that's just stupid business practice even from the most capitalist of outlooks.

The first engineer who came a week ago was a prime example of that. He was helpful insofar as he could be, but clearly keen to get out as quickly as possible. I asked him to look at the upstairs sockets to tell me if they were extensions, he took a glance, said they were and a week later I discovered they weren't - the second engineer had to rewire them. I also had to chase the first guy up the path to ask him basic questions, he was in such a rush. I think I just got lucky with the second bloke as he'd been called in on overtime, so was probably keen to clock up as many hours as possible being customer-friendly! lol

I didn't even know that "BT Openreach" is no longer part of BT, they're a separate company, subcontracting all the work on wiring from street to home, from BT and other suppliers.....more short-term "shareholder value" in that, I assume. 

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

That's all very well if it's achieved by providing a good service, operating an efficient business etc.

But they seem to be at the point where they're cutting everything back so much that they're providing a rubbish service, alienating customers etc. If I get reliable word of anyone like Virgin being better, I'll be off at the end of my contract....that's just stupid business practice even from the most capitalist of outlooks.

The first engineer who came a week ago was a prime example of that. He was helpful insofar as he could be, but clearly keen to get out as quickly as possible. I asked him to look at the upstairs sockets to tell me if they were extensions, he took a glance, said they were and a week later I discovered they weren't - the second engineer had to rewire them. I also had to chase the first guy up the path to ask him basic questions, he was in such a rush. I think I just got lucky with the second bloke as he'd been called in on overtime, so was probably keen to clock up as many hours as possible being customer-friendly! lol

I didn't even know that "BT Openreach" is no longer part of BT, they're a separate company, subcontracting all the work on wiring from street to home, from BT and other suppliers.....more short-term "shareholder value" in that, I assume. 

My brother in-law is a BT engineer he gets paid the same if he does 1 job a day or 10, if the job runs over to the next day he'll go back and finish. 

Bt then subcontract work out, these guys will be in M J Quinn vans. They only get paid for every job they complete. If they can't complete the job and have to hand it back to BT they won't get paid for it even if they have spent 4 hours working on it. 

3 weeks ago I was having a BT phone line installed. The guy came at 9am was there for around 1 hour went round the corner to the green box and realised it was quite a long time consuming job. He told me he's going to do other jobs and he'll be back later. 6pm he turns up and then is working outside for another couple of hours. He had to complete the job and sign it off else he wouldn't have got paid for it. 

9 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Didn't openreach get separated on the call of ofcom? Swear I read something about competitiveness being behind it. Was a while ago though so could be brainfarting. lol

5 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Ofcom ordered Openreach to be spun off. Basically every company that uses a phone line uses Openreach and they all complained that BT customers got priority for anything Openreach has to do. There was also the argument that BT blocked other companies investing. However, it hasn't really solved the problem because BT still owns Openreach's network assets and BT's holding company, BT Group, owns the spun-off company Openreach Limited.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

My brother in-law is a BT engineer he gets paid the same if he does 1 job a day or 10, if the job runs over to the next day he'll go back and finish. 

Bt then subcontract work out, these guys will be in M J Quinn vans. They only get paid for every job they complete. If they can't complete the job and have to hand it back to BT they won't get paid for it even if they have spent 4 hours working on it. 

3 weeks ago I was having a BT phone line installed. The guy came at 9am was there for around 1 hour went round the corner to the green box and realised it was quite a long time consuming job. He told me he's going to do other jobs and he'll be back later. 6pm he turns up and then is working outside for another couple of hours. He had to complete the job and sign it off else he wouldn't have got paid for it. 

The two blokes who came to me were both definitely from Openreach - they had the shirts and vans - though one did mention these Quinn vans.

What @KingGTF says seems to be correct, though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openreach

"In March 2017, BT Group plc agreed to make Openreach a separate company, Openreach Limited, with its own staff and management, but with the network assets continuing to be owned by BT plc for land-contract reasons, and with Openreach Limited being wholly owned by BT Group plc, BT plc's parent holding company. In July 2017, Openreach began removing the BT element from its logo, and in September 2017 Openreach removed BT branding from its website".

The second bloke seemed keen to dissociate himself from BT, even if BT still owns Openreach and its assets.

7 hours ago, Turbogre said:

I attended day 1 of a 3 day workshop on innate health & well-being and the 3 principles based psychology today.

Really helping me to understand my thinking and depression and so far a good investment. Looking forward to day 2 tomorrow. Already feeling calmer and with much more clarity :)

How was the course on a the end?? Was it happy-clappy hippie stuff, or a bit more reasoned? 

Something you'd recommend? 

14 minutes ago, Milo said:

How was the course on a the end?? Was it happy-clappy hippie stuff, or a bit more reasoned? 

Something you'd recommend? 

It says Turbogre but I'd swear that Izzy posted that.

Or am I going mad?

• Like 1

On 27/09/2017 at 19:41, Izzy Muzzett said:

I attended day 1 of a 3 day workshop on innate health & well-being and the 3 principles based psychology today.

Really helping me to understand my thinking and depression and so far a good investment. Looking forward to day 2 tomorrow. Already feeling calmer and with much more clarity :)

@Buce..

Edited by Wymeswold fox