Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:
2 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:
Is that at Camps Bay?

Yep. Pissing it down now though!

We were looking for somewhere to park the car down there. Some bloke directed us to a space then said he’d sit and look after it for us. 

We gave him the money he asked for, then my brother in-law came who is South African came to meet us at the beach. He asked us how much we paid and we said 300 rand and he started laughing. Apparently we had gave him the equivlant of a weekly wage. 

• Like 1

We were looking for somewhere to park the car down there. Some bloke directed us to a space then said he’d sit and look after it for us. 

We gave him the money he asked for, then my brother in-law came who is South African came to meet us at the beach. He asked us how much we paid and we said 300 rand and he started laughing. Apparently we had gave him the equivlant of a weekly wage. 
Yep! We have a lady that cleans our house twice a week. She gets $30/R300.

Have ordered a beautiful set of knives and three have been made and are ready to collect (one, the most complex, to go) ...    have always wanted my own handmade set and a couple of months ago finally found someone whose skill was amazing ...    fully functional and absolute works of art.   For those interested they are all damascus steel (Thor pattern), razor sharp (3 x surgical), mosaic rivets, fossilised wooly mammoth handles and my initials on the blade and sheath.   Can't wait to pick em up !!  :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Have ordered a beautiful set of knives and three have been made and are ready to collect (one, the most complex, to go) ...    have always wanted my own handmade set and a couple of months ago finally found someone whose skill was amazing ...    fully functional and absolute works of art.   For those interested they are all damascus steel (Thor pattern), razor sharp (3 x surgical), mosaic rivets, fossilised wooly mammoth handles and my initials on the blade and sheath.   Can't wait to pick em up !!  :)

Awesome.

Do you have any pics, CF?

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Cool.

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid?

With a beautiful wood handle (curly birch or walnut) they would cost a few hundred ...   the wooly mammoth is a bit more.   I normally spend about £!0 on a hunting knife and bin it after about a year ..  these will last forever and be a family heirloom ...   they take them back every year to resharpen and restore as part of the price.   And I got them at a VERY good price cus my mate runs it (He saw what they could do and bought in).    I could sell tomorrow and make money on them ...   and their stock will rise.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

With a beautiful wood handle (curly birch or walnut) they would cost a few hundred ...   the wooly mammoth is a bit more.   I normally spend about £!0 on a hunting knife and bin it after about a year ..  these will last forever and be a family heirloom ...   they take them back every year to resharpen and restore as part of the price.   And I got them at a VERY good price cus my mate runs it (He saw what they could do and bought in).    I could sell tomorrow and make money on them ...   and their stock will rise.    

I'd be interested in one.

Looking forward to the pics. :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Is it mammoth bone or ivory?

Just signed on for the first time at the Job Centre.

Have kept the idea of going there as far away as possible but, after just over 3 months unemployed, felt like it was an option to take.

For some reason, going there makes me even more desperate to get something relevant - just makes me feel depressed and more stressed about the situation (feeling as if you're not good enough/being judged etc) to say the least..

Wouldn't say I'm having the time of my life, no.lol..

Not sure whether my application for benefits will be accepted as parents are very generous in terms of helping out at the moment when got nothing on, mortgage being paid etc, some savings etc.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Just signed on for the first time at the Job Centre.

Have kept the idea of going there as far away as possible but, after just over 3 months unemployed, felt like it was an option to take.

For some reason, going there makes me even more desperate to get something relevant - just makes me feel depressed and more stressed about the situation (feeling as if you're not good enough/being judged etc) to say the least..

Wouldn't say I'm having the time of my life, no.lol..

Not sure whether my application for benefits will be accepted as parents are very generous in terms of helping out at the moment when got nothing on, mortgage being paid etc, some savings etc.

They don't need to know that, Wymsey.

You've paid into the system - don't be embarrassed about getting a helping hand from it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

They don't need to know that, Wymsey.

You've paid into the system - don't be embarrassed about getting a helping hand from it.

When I filled the form in, there was a question asking me how I'm currently getting by at present (ie. savings, some of past wages, parents etc). I thought about using savings temporarily,  but that idea was seen as a big no-no (also had go include the amount I have savings-wise).

Edited by Wymeswold fox

44 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

When I filled the form in, there was a question asking me how I'm currently getting by at present (ie. savings, some of past wages, parents etc). I thought about using savings temporarily,  but that idea was seen as a big no-no (also had go include the amount I have savings-wise).

Nothing wrong with getting unemployment benefit if your situation dictates you are entitled to it Wymesy, but isn't this precisely the type of situation that savings are meant for? A rainy day...?

On 13/10/2017 at 10:46, TiffToff88 said:

Job interview in 15 minutes. I've had my current job straight out of school for the last 12 years. This is my first proper interview. Absolutely bricking it!

Just got a phone call... Turns out i'm one of only 2 people they want to bring in for a face to face interview! Last week was just a phone call. I guess i should get my hair cut, polish my shoes and figure out how to put on a tie!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Anyone here collect beer glasses? Occasionally I pinch a nice glass from a pub /restaurant, sometimes I'll give the staff a nice tip for 1. I especially like the foreign ones I get on holiday.

I’ve got a few, the Erdinger one I stole from Los Hermanos on Queen’s Rd is more like a vase, no idea how I got away with that one lol