Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

55 minutes ago, StanSP said:

maybe I'll think about the balaclava then lol

I've added baselayers and walking boots to my shopping list. 

Make sure you buy your boots (though, I wouldn't want to climb a mountain in new boots) a half-size bigger than you normally take, to allow for thick socks and foot expansion when hiking.

Take a breathable waterproof.

Carry water and snacks, compass and map.

Don't shag the sheep without a condom.

37 minutes ago, Buce said:

Make sure you buy your boots (though, I wouldn't want to climb a mountain in new boots) a half-size bigger than you normally take, to allow for thick socks and foot expansion when hiking.

Take a breathable waterproof.

Carry water and snacks, compass and map.

Don't shag the sheep without a condom.

cheers for the advice. especially the last bit. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

off to Snowdonia tomorrow. Got a cottage for the weekend with few people from work. Climbing Mount Snowdon on Saturday.

Never been in to the mountain-climbing thing but think this will be quite enjoyable. Don't really have the clothes for it though, yet! Buying a windproof jacket tonight. Any specific footwear or other clothing needed? Apparently there's 2 routes up the mountain and we're taking the easier, non-professional route up...

There's a few routes up.

You'll go up the miners track from Llanberis - it runs almost parallel with the railway.

The most exciting route is Crib Goch (sp.) it means 'red comb' in Welsh as it's comprised of a spiky zig zag of points and the rock has a red sheen to it. You can walk across the top of it reasonably easily if you have a head for heights and are composed but it is gritty in proper wind and ice - then it's a roped up together job and if somebody spills its your job to jump off the other side so it balances the weight! In summer though it's really quite spectacular but it is a bit of a knife edge ridge with steep drops either side and sometimes sheer with just rock to walk on and in places is extremely narrow (a couple of feet) ?

You'll see it from the top - something to consider for the second ascent!

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

There's a few routes up.

You'll go up the miners track from Llanberis - it runs almost parallel with the railway.

The most exciting route is Crib Goch (sp.) it means 'red comb' in Welsh as it's comprised of a spiky zig zag of points and the rock has a red sheen to it. You can walk across the top of it reasonably easily if you have a head for heights and are composed but it is gritty in proper wind and ice - then it's a roped up together job and if somebody spills its your job to jump off the other side so it balances the weight! In summer though it's really quite spectacular but it is a bit of a knife edge ridge with steep drops either side and sometimes sheer with just rock to walk on and in places is extremely narrow (a couple of feet) ?

none of us are professionals to be honest so I doubt we'll be risking much where it involves people roped up together or having to balance out weight lol. Maybe in a few years time that'll be a challenge!

4 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

There's a few routes up.

Cmon, this is the only way you've ever gotten up Snowdon: chuff chuff!

4903C8C2-60C9-4EB1-B3A5-8C6482E35F5D-226-0000001C7E80401F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Don't joke. Did Snowdon last year. Can't remember what route up we took but it was tough. Hardly saw a soul on the way up got got to the top and it was full of fat Scousers in tracksuits smoking fags and drinking cooking lager who had got the train up. Quite deflating.

Did the Brecon Beacons last weekend including Pen y Fan. Found that tougher than Snowdon purely down to the terrain. Ended up getting a bit lost in the fog and did 14 miles. Took over 7 hours. Legs and feet still wrecked.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Job interview in 15 minutes. I've had my current job straight out of school for the last 12 years. This is my first proper interview. Absolutely bricking it!

You’ll be fine mate. As long as you don’t attempt to be funny, I’m sure you’ll get it :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

You’ll be fine mate. As long as you don’t attempt to be funny, I’m sure you’ll get it :thumbup:

I assume you have spent your entire life unemployed?

Was just a quick pre-interview with a recruitment firm but they seemed to like me, He said i'm one of only 4 people he's interviewed (Out of a lot, by the sound of it) that he wants to pass on my details to the actual company. I find out on monday if they're interested. Gonna be a long weekend for me!

16 hours ago, Col city fan said:

haha we looked at possibly getting the train down but after looking at prices for it, not a chance in hell we're touching the damn thing. £23 quid per person!!!

Got up at 4 this morning to drive to Harwich and then get on the ferry to Holland. Really long day but so glad to be away for a week with the children. We're staying at a Euro camp site called Diunrell, we came last year and I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone with children. Theme park and water park on the site, and a beautiful beach nearby. Only about half an hour from Amsterdam and The Hague too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I assume you have spent your entire life unemployed?

Was just a quick pre-interview with a recruitment firm but they seemed to like me, He said i'm one of only 4 people he's interviewed (Out of a lot, by the sound of it) that he wants to pass on my details to the actual company. I find out on monday if they're interested. Gonna be a long weekend for me!

Good luck pal, hope you get it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I'm not sure sitting in the cafe in Llanberis eating the 'mountain marathon' counts as mountaineering Nick.

:thumbup:

17DD35FE-2426-4394-A309-52D691499826-548-0000006D8229281D.jpeg

What the fook is on that plate  !! ...    whats all that white stuff ?? ...   and whats the big knobby thing below the burnt sausage ?? ...    and whats that half eaten brown thing on the right ?? ...   and is that the head of some gigantic snail at the bottom ?? ....    dis-bloody-gusting !!     Yuk !!!     

have i completely lost the plot here, it’s mid october it’s been freezing for about a month an im sweating my tits off and the temperature is currently 19 degrees. hotter than most summer days. my heads gone. 

• Like 1