Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

15 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

At Leicester Airport with the Leicestershire Aero Club

I got 18 hours in a 152 from EMA. 

It was great at first- flying in and around all the commercial traffic and getting used to working with ‘real’ ATC.

The problems came when I got round to doing circuits, where your instructor needed to see you do 3 consecutive touch and go landings without any input from him- (this is the last requirement before going solo) It unfortunately coincided with the start of the peak travel season, so there were at least two occasions where I spent more time in the hour lesson circling the runway than I spent doing touch and go’s. It was such a waste of money.

I’d imagine had I done my PPL at Leicester I’d have gone solo before running out of £££

31 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I got 18 hours in a 152 from EMA. 

It was great at first- flying in and around all the commercial traffic and getting used to working with ‘real’ ATC.

The problems came when I got round to doing circuits, where your instructor needed to see you do 3 consecutive touch and go landings without any input from him- (this is the last requirement before going solo) It unfortunately coincided with the start of the peak travel season, so there were at least two occasions where I spent more time in the hour lesson circling the runway than I spent doing touch and go’s. It was such a waste of money.

I’d imagine had I done my PPL at Leicester I’d have gone solo before running out of £££

Ah nice one. Yeah hopefully at Leicester there won't be as much traffic. Saying that there were 4 or 5 helicopters flying in constantly which made for some busy approach. 

Landing at Leicester was a bit of a free for all. When we were coming in there was a similar plane doing a bizarre low approach, without landing approval, directly below us. Fortunately I clocked him else that would have given him a nice bump on the head. I did enjoy the instructor radio comms after that... 

I'm hoping to stick with it and get the PPL. One of my employees has one and is keen on a shared ownership deal so hopefully can muck in on that then commit to it being more long term. Really enjoyed using the school plane, but it's seen better days.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Ah nice one. Yeah hopefully at Leicester there won't be as much traffic. Saying that there were 4 or 5 helicopters flying in constantly which made for some busy approach. 

Landing at Leicester was a bit of a free for all. When we were coming in there was a similar plane doing a bizarre low approach, without landing approval, directly below us. Fortunately I clocked him else that would have given him a nice bump on the head. I did enjoy the instructor radio comms after that... 

I'm hoping to stick with it and get the PPL. One of my employees has one and is keen on a shared ownership deal so hopefully can muck in on that then commit to it being more long term. Really enjoyed using the school plane, but it's seen better days.

I wish I’d stuck with it, and maybe I’ll carry on one day, albeit at a better airport

Another thing that really annoyed me was the owner of the flying club- he seemed a right stuffy so and so, ignorant etc too. 

I decided to set up a go pro and record my lessons so I could up load to YouTube to watch them back- the 1h goes quickly and you never remember everything that gets said or taught to you within that time. My instructor had no issues with me doing this. After a few weeks I got told the owner had put a stop to them (no reason given) yet I saw other students in the weeks after using them in their lessons.

If you’re allowed to, get a go pro mounted and record your lessons. It’ll help you improve so much quicker imo

14 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I wish I’d stuck with it, and maybe I’ll carry on one day, albeit at a better airport

Another thing that really annoyed me was the owner of the flying club- he seemed a right stuffy so and so, ignorant etc too. 

I decided to set up a go pro and record my lessons so I could up load to YouTube to watch them back- the 1h goes quickly and you never remember everything that gets said or taught to you within that time. My instructor had no issues with me doing this. After a few weeks I got told the owner had put a stop to them (no reason given) yet I saw other students in the weeks after using them in their lessons.

If you’re allowed to, get a go pro mounted and record your lessons. It’ll help you improve so much quicker imo

Great idea, hadn't thought of that.  I did notice I spent most of my time glued to the attitude indicator rather than doing as I was told and using my eyes, the horizon and the plane to do it.  Be good to see how often I actually looked out the window in my last jaunt.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Nice one we are going to see them on the 21st. Any particular recommendations?

Ermmm…not really, just turn up and enjoy it. For how busy it is it’s so relaxed. Deffo get the subway to the ground, get on anywhere pretty much on the west side of Manhattan, train D and it’ll take you right to the doorstep. 

Obvs the prices of stuff is insane, like $15 for a beer and $7 for a hot dog so bear that in mind but other than that, just turn up and try and work out what’s actually happening. We sat in section 420a and I think the tickets were like $8 each, expected the seats to be bad but the view was really good. I don’t think there’s a bad seat in the house. You’ll have a great time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Manini said:

Ermmm…not really, just turn up and enjoy it. For how busy it is it’s so relaxed. Deffo get the subway to the ground, get on anywhere pretty much on the west side of Manhattan, train D and it’ll take you right to the doorstep. 

Obvs the prices of stuff is insane, like $15 for a beer and $7 for a hot dog so bear that in mind but other than that, just turn up and try and work out what’s actually happening. We sat in section 420a and I think the tickets were like $8 each, expected the seats to be bad but the view was really good. I don’t think there’s a bad seat in the house. You’ll have a great time. 

Nice one sounds good. Any other tips for other stuff that you would recommend?

Just now, Unabomber said:

Nice one sounds good. Any other tips for other stuff that you would recommend?

Yesterday was our first proper day and we were at the stadium for most of it, but had a nice dinner at Westside Steakhouse in Hells Kitchen, that was pretty cool in there, very American type of place but the food was good. Pick a Bagel for breakfast. That was unreal. The shop is near Columbus Circle. Bacon Egg and Cheese on a poppyseed, bagel was very fresh. Going to Brooklyn today so will probably be more after today. The 7 day metro card is just worth it too, even if you aren’t staying for 7 days. 

• Like 1

Decent day at the beach yesterday, Brancaster north norfolk. Beach was clean and the sun out. Called at Hunstanton on the way back for some fish and chips, never been before and I won't again, absolute dump of a place - had Blackpool and Skegness vibes - makes Cromer seem upmarket!

• Like 1

Only gone and won the pub quiz tonight, it's been a long time coming. The rest of the team have been woefully out of form.

Notorious P.I.G. edged out a team containing a professional quizzer by a single point.

This guy has been on Millionaire, Eggheads, Only Connect...

Then, to top it off, I've won the random number question to take home some extra cash.

I've walked out 45 quid up :thumbup:

And yes, my quiz team is called Notorious P.I.G.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 2

The Mrs won't let met me buy these pull handles for the unit in the bathroom that I'm renovating.

I have a rule that every room that I've redecorated HAS to have a fox in it somewhere.

I don't think the Mrs has realised this yet lol

It did take her weeks to notice in lockdown that I'd changed all the family photos in the house to Leicester players.

Screenshot_20230912_194653_Chrome.jpg

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Right bizarre few days. 

We moved into a new house in December, and it's great for our family. But things just every now and then go tits up and wrong. Now we've settled I've started to decorate. Fixed the En-Suite shower so it runs warm now, and have sealed it. All groovy. But then things began to go wrong. 

Noticed a few wasps appearing in the main bathroom last few days. Went up in the loft Sunday, and found a bastard of a wasps nest, massive thing. Despite all the advice online saying 'Call a profession,' I took my Dad's advice (hard-nosed New Parks lad) to deal with it myself. 

Went up there armed with cans of Raid wasp killer, sprayed the sods to bits. All fun and games until they began to charge and swarm a bit. Must have killed hundreds. Wife comes out the room screaming as theres about 80 dead wasps upside down on the landing. Kept spraying and emptied a few more cans up there. Got stung twice. One was a right sod on the thumb, and the other was on the face despite me being covered up as best as I could. (City scarf around mouth) 

Monday - went up to inspect what had happened. All wasps seemingly dead or gone. Smashed the nest up and sprayed more raid, few were left (workers) and happy with the results.

Tuesday - Collected most of the nest, all dealt with. 

Being honest, proud of myself for dealing with it as its f'ing scary, especially as we've got a 1 year old. But would not advocate removing this sorta thing myself unless its outside. 

Highlight was my wife running away from a wasp that'd flown down the hatch, tripping over then went through the floorboard. Had to repair that too. 

You couldn't write it. 

4 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

Right bizarre few days. 

We moved into a new house in December, and it's great for our family. But things just every now and then go tits up and wrong. Now we've settled I've started to decorate. Fixed the En-Suite shower so it runs warm now, and have sealed it. All groovy. But then things began to go wrong. 

Noticed a few wasps appearing in the main bathroom last few days. Went up in the loft Sunday, and found a bastard of a wasps nest, massive thing. Despite all the advice online saying 'Call a profession,' I took my Dad's advice (hard-nosed New Parks lad) to deal with it myself. 

Went up there armed with cans of Raid wasp killer, sprayed the sods to bits. All fun and games until they began to charge and swarm a bit. Must have killed hundreds. Wife comes out the room screaming as theres about 80 dead wasps upside down on the landing. Kept spraying and emptied a few more cans up there. Got stung twice. One was a right sod on the thumb, and the other was on the face despite me being covered up as best as I could. (City scarf around mouth) 

Monday - went up to inspect what had happened. All wasps seemingly dead or gone. Smashed the nest up and sprayed more raid, few were left (workers) and happy with the results.

Being honest, proud of myself for dealing with it as its f'ing scary, especially as we've got a 1 year old. But would not advocate removing this sorta thing myself unless its outside. 

Highlight was my wife running away from a wasp that'd flown down the hatch, tripping over then went through the floorboard. Had to repair that too. 

You couldn't write it. 

That was a rollercoaster of emotions.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I mean, well done. But I'll level with you, I've got serious concerns lol

16 hours ago, tom27111 said:

That was a rollercoaster of emotions.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I mean, well done. But I'll level with you, I've got serious concerns lol

It without doubt was an interesting few days.

Hopefully a quiet week this week painting the house! 

On 12/09/2023 at 22:20, Mee-9 said:

Right bizarre few days. 

You couldn't write it. 

In the olden days fables were told, a comedy story with a moral lesson. This is one of those. The lesson being, there are times when it's best to call the professionals.

And I don't mean Bodie and Doyle (the kids will need to Google that) 😂

On 12/09/2023 at 05:23, tom27111 said:

Only gone and won the pub quiz tonight, it's been a long time coming. The rest of the team have been woefully out of form.

Notorious P.I.G. edged out a team containing a professional quizzer by a single point.

This guy has been on Millionaire, Eggheads, Only Connect...

Then, to top it off, I've won the random number question to take home some extra cash.

I've walked out 45 quid up :thumbup:

And yes, my quiz team is called Notorious P.I.G.

I hope you stood up, grabbed the mic and said "this victory is dedicated, to all the teachers that told me I'd never amount to nothin, to all the people that lived above the buildings that I was hustlin' in front of, when I was just tryin' to make some money to feed my daughter, and all the quizzers in the struggle.  You know what's I'm sayin?  Its all good baby baby"

• Haha 1

On 12/09/2023 at 22:20, Mee-9 said:

Right bizarre few days. 

You couldn't write it. 

Hope you got it all for your sake as they will 100% come back if you haven't... 

Not sure I would have done it myself to be fair. 

I've always lived on my own, but a year ago now, I had my niece's significant other move in with me. 

Just that alone probably doesn't make much sense lol, but if you knew the players, it might, sorta.

Anyway...Even with the insane cost of rent and having to go back to paying it on my own, I'm seriously considering kicking the drunken slob out.

Sorry, just needed to rant somewhere.

3 hours ago, spacemunky said:

I've always lived on my own, but a year ago now, I had my niece's significant other move in with me. 

Just that alone probably doesn't make much sense lol, but if you knew the players, it might, sorta.

Anyway...Even with the insane cost of rent and having to go back to paying it on my own, I'm seriously considering kicking the drunken slob out.

Sorry, just needed to rant somewhere.

If he isnt paying or helping and making your life hell, in the bin! Or drop him off somewhere downtown hamilton off cannon lol