Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

3 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Greta Thunberg 

I just can’t help it even though I know she’s on the spectrum, is a child and has an important message to convey. 

I saw somebody refer to her as a serial truant the other day and I couldn’t argue. 

• Haha 2

nah don't really know anything about her or give much of a shit beyond thinking it's weird that she cares so much about the environment, when she should be having the time of her life as a 16 year old like pretty much all 16 year olds 

I think I see both sides to Thunberg. On one hand she’s highlighting important issues and has clearly established herself as a voice for change, which at her age is impressive. Fair ****s to her for that. 

I do also see the arguments where people think that she’s a product of her parents political and environmental agenda, that they’ve likely forced upon her to throw her in to the spotlight - and suchlike. 

I dunno, really. She doesn’t do me any harm, and I’d never slate somebody for having a voice and expressing their opinions - but she’s always going to be one of those characters in the public eye that divides opinion. It’s probably accentuated because she’s a child, grown adults don’t like being led to believe they’re less intelligent than children. 

I realise this is top drawer fence sitting but to be honest I just don’t have that strong an opinion either way. 

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Someone wants to aim their vitriol at her parents, I mean, feel free I guess. You think she's brainwashed, you think she's been used or manipulated, whatever really. I mean that's your opinion. 

I just think there's been way too much stick aimed at the kid herself by her "critics."

She's a kid, she means well and she's doing a **** load more to back up her beliefs than most of the rest of us. She's putting all of us to shame who preach on here, whether we're left, right, whatever. 

You don't have to agree with her message at all but you're a bit weird if you can't accept her heart's in the right place, even if you personally believe she's misguided. 

Yeah, nail on the head here.

With the caveat that the message is important to anyone vaguely interested in a future for civilisation beyond the next few decades.

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

she does seem like a proper weirdo though

People always criticize or call weird that they don't understand or find different. people with autism or aspergers have been dealing with this their whole life being called different for being passionate about something. all they ask for is understanding and not to be mocked or made fun of and most are extremely intelligent people who find it difficult in social situations. calling someone weird for how they are or how passionate they are says more about the person calling them 'weird' than it does about the person they think is weird. the world needs more understanding and tolerance.

• Like 2

She makes me uncomfortable.  I think it is because it really shouldn't fall to a kid to do what she is doing, and I feel sorry for her.

Also though, I do wonder if it is appropriate for her to be allowed this platform - the fact is any criticism of her views and how she puts them across is difficult because it is aimed at a 16 year old with Aspergers, and that seems unfair.  The situation is strange.

Edited by Jon the Hat

9 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

She makes me uncomfortable.  I think it is because it really shouldn't fall to a kid to do what she is doing.

It doesn't have to, but the people and groups forcing her to the front don't want to do it themselves and think the cause stands a better chance if it's a middle class white child with Aspergers doing than preaching rather than them.

Her as the figurehead of this lost any seriousness when five people filmed her pooing on a boat before flying home.

23 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

She makes me uncomfortable.  I think it is because it really shouldn't fall to a kid to do what she is doing, and I feel sorry for her.

Also though, I do wonder if it is appropriate for her to be allowed this platform - the fact is any criticism of her views and how she puts them across is difficult because it is aimed at a 16 year old with Aspergers, and that seems unfair.  The situation is strange.

Agreed on the bolded part, but no bugger else is stepping up to deliver the highly necessary message (or if they are the usual suspects simply aren't listening because it's inconvenient to them), which is part of the problem.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Agreed on the bolded part, but no bugger else is stepping up to deliver the highly necessary message (or if they are the usual suspects simply aren't listening because it's inconvenient to them), which is part of the problem.

I am a bit torn as to whether that is fine because she is getting the audience, or shit because world leaders are just meeting her to look like they give a shit.

18 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I am a bit torn as to whether that is fine because she is getting the audience, or shit because world leaders are just meeting her to look like they give a shit.

Bit of both, really.

I know the necessity of her message but also know that what needs to be done - the scientific plans she is pointing people in the direction of - aren't going to get done without serious political will and time, and frankly short-termism is a massive drawback there.