Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

5 hours ago, The Bear said:

She certainly speaks very passionately about the subject, and makes people listen. I have to admire her for that if nothing else. 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Someone wants to aim their vitriol at her parents, I mean, feel free I guess. You think she's brainwashed, you think she's been used or manipulated, whatever really. I mean that's your opinion. 

I just think there's been way too much stick aimed at the kid herself by her "critics."

She's a kid, she means well and she's doing a **** load more to back up her beliefs than most of the rest of us. She's putting all of us to shame who preach on here, whether we're left, right, whatever. 

You don't have to agree with her message at all but you're a bit weird if you can't accept her heart's in the right place, even if you personally believe she's misguided. 

Agree with both posts here.

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

She makes me uncomfortable.  I think it is because it really shouldn't fall to a kid to do what she is doing, and I feel sorry for her.

Also though, I do wonder if it is appropriate for her to be allowed this platform - the fact is any criticism of her views and how she puts them across is difficult because it is aimed at a 16 year old with Aspergers, and that seems unfair.  The situation is strange.

I'm confused.

It makes you feel uncomfortable because she's doing something productive about climate change and in a very passionate way? And it makes you feel uncomfortable because she is treated unfairly? It speaks volumes that it takes a 16 year old to get everyone talking about climate change. In fact it speaks volumes about the people who are willing to abuse her for it.

Surely the people aiming all the vitriol at her/her family should make you feel uncomfortable? Perhaps I've misinterpreted your post so apologies if so.

I think the fact that she has Aspergers is a moot point. She is incredibly passionate about doing good for the world and saving the world she'll end up living in for the next few decades as opposed to people 3 or 4 times her age who appear to be incredibly careless about concerns raised.

The amount of abuse hurled her way is disgusting whether she has Aspergers or not.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Grown adults taking a pop at a little girl trying to improve the world when most of her age group are sat around obsessing over Fortnite and Instagram. 

On 13/08/2019 at 10:25, Finnegan said:

Six nights in Hvar and eight in Dubrovnik across the end of August / start of September. 

Can't fookin wait. God I love the adriatic. 

How’s your own carbon footprint you hipster ? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

How’s your own carbon footprint you hipster ? 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

She means well and she's doing a **** load more to back up her beliefs than most of the rest of us. She's putting all of us to shame who preach on here, whether we're left, right, whatever. 

25 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Are girls not allowed to poo lol 

Never.  It just evaporates with no smell.

I wish, my 4 year old daughter will fart and say "daddy, i tooted" and laugh ... then I will  be like "i can tell".  She lets off some right stinkers

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Agree with both posts here.

I'm confused.

It makes you feel uncomfortable because she's doing something productive about climate change and in a very passionate way? And it makes you feel uncomfortable because she is treated unfairly? It speaks volumes that it takes a 16 year old to get everyone talking about climate change. In fact it speaks volumes about the people who are willing to abuse her for it.

Surely the people aiming all the vitriol at her/her family should make you feel uncomfortable? Perhaps I've misinterpreted your post so apologies if so.

I think the fact that she has Aspergers is a moot point. She is incredibly passionate about doing good for the world and saving the world she'll end up living in for the next few decades as opposed to people 3 or 4 times her age who appear to be incredibly careless about concerns raised.

The amount of abuse hurled her way is disgusting whether she has Aspergers or not.

"She should be in school!"  She is 16 years old, and making a speech at the United Nations in a second language.  Perhaps she can afford to skip a few weeks :)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I think I’m not convinced she isn’t being exploited.  I feel the same when a 16 year old is suddenly the new hope of whatever football team.

So it's the situation she's being put in that makes you feel uncomfortable, not necessarily her?

The fact it's 2019 and the world is having to rely on a 16 year old to preach a message about climate change and the dangers of the world right now is what should make you feel uncomfortable. 

She's going about her views in the correct manner, as a whole, about a topic that is becoming more widespread in the media - but can't help but feel she has put her points during her very recent 'meeting' with the world leaders as quite in-your-face and quallelsome* (which has made viewing it as quite awkward to watch tbh)..

*Perhaps that's a factor with her Aspergers connection - but feel this is irreverent, as believe that young indivduals her and also Malala Yousafzai (as good examples) are doing the right thing as members of the 'new generation' who understand the threats facing humanity and their stance in trying to change these challenges for a better world as possible.

Greta Thunberg makes people feel uncomfortable because the urgency and passion with which she speaks is at odds with how most people in the world currently feel.

I reckon most people acknowledge that there's a pretty big climate change problem (lots of them, really) but that it's something that isn't as immediate as Thunberg is saying. We recycle, we compost, we walk, cycle, or take public transport when we can, is that not enough?

She speaks with such passion because it actually isn't enough. Trump wants to burn fossil fuels like it's going out of fashion. Canada and China are speaking out of both sides of their mouths by having big renewable energy policies but also big fossil fuel policies too. Balsonaro is burning his own back yard for food production. We all think nothing of jumping on a plane for our holidays or eating a steak from Argentina or strawberries from Spain or driving around the corner for a pint of milk.

Thunberg makes us all uncomfortable because we're all guilty (me included) and only a few of us are really doing something considerable about it (definitely not me, which I do feel very guilty about).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

"She should be in school!"  She is 16 years old, and making a speech at the United Nations in a second language.  Perhaps she can afford to skip a few weeks :)

To clarify. From memory you are a climate change sceptic - correct?

11 hours ago, StanSP said:

The fact it's 2019 and the world is having to rely on a 16 year old to preach a message about climate change and the dangers of the world right now is what should make you feel uncomfortable. 

But it isn't, many governments are doing it, David Attenborough has done more than most, we don't have a hot day in summer now without it being followed by a string of "activists" being given air and print time to tell us all how terrible it is.

What's uncomfortable is an autistic 16 year old, scared to death doing the bidding of some pretty awful groups who keep giving us a different message.

We seem to just have "x amount" of time to save the planet every few years and the time changes, well, gets shorter the more radical the speaker is.

Some consistency and logic would be nice rather than demented ranting and protest.

13 minutes ago, MattP said:

But it isn't, many governments are doing it, David Attenborough has done more than most, we don't have a hot day in summer now without it being followed by a string of "activists" being given air and print time to tell us all how terrible it is.

What's uncomfortable is an autistic 16 year old, scared to death doing the bidding of some pretty awful groups who keep giving us a different message.

We seem to just have "x amount" of time to save the planet every few years and the time changes, well, gets shorter the more radical the speaker is.

Some consistency and logic would be nice rather than demented ranting and protest.

Out of interest, what groups are they?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MattP said:

...was the communication in the science thread not clear or something? All of this has been addressed there.

4 hours ago, Line-X said:

To clarify. From memory you are a climate change sceptic - correct?

I am more in the confident Human ingenuity will prevail camp.  It is all fine to say X people will be affected, but people are affected by things everyday, and the time periods are relatively long tbh.

I am not about to sell my car and move to the hills just yet.

46 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I am more in the confident Human ingenuity will prevail camp.  It is all fine to say X people will be affected, but people are affected by things everyday, and the time periods are relatively long tbh.

I am not about to sell my car and move to the hills just yet.

...and I think this was addressed too.

Social media militancy - school children writing an open letter threatening to boycott the Royal Shakespeare Company due to their ‘sickening’ links to BP. 

Personally, I’ve never particularly liked Shakespeare but BP have subsidised hundreds of thousands of tickets for people to go and see his plays. If you don’t won’t to go, fair play - It’s  the use of ‘sickening’ that most annoys me.

• Like 1