Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 13:45, Fox92 said:

The (modern day) obsession with stats. 

I saw Curtis Woodhouse on twitter suggest Giggs was overrated and one reason because he didn't score as many goals as modern day wingers do.

It's not comparable given how the role has changed over time.

It's like when Maradona is considered by pundits/fans/players/managers to be one of the greatest ever yet a teenager on twitter will say he's overrated because his best return for Napoli was 15 goals.

Stats don't paint half the picture and aren't the justification to win a debate.

This might help:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zsrgp4j

On 17/06/2020 at 13:45, Fox92 said:

The (modern day) obsession with stats. 

I saw Curtis Woodhouse on twitter suggest Giggs was overrated and one reason because he didn't score as many goals as modern day wingers do.

It's not comparable given how the role has changed over time.

It's like when Maradona is considered by pundits/fans/players/managers to be one of the greatest ever yet a teenager on twitter will say he's overrated because his best return for Napoli was 15 goals.

Stats don't paint half the picture and aren't the justification to win a debate.

Alright I’ll bite, I was having that argument about Maradona the other day. Maradona is obviously one of the best players of all time but how many games of his have people actually watched? A few at World Cups, maybe the odd European cup game.

It’s conventional knowledge that Maradona is one of the greatest but I’m making the assumption that most people just ‘know’ it to be true without ever having thought about it. He performed well at world cups and that’s probably the basis for the idea, if Miroslav Klose had played in the 80s we’d probably think he’s one of the greatest strikers of all time. There’s an availability bias when looking at players in the past, there was fewer games on tv, no internet to watch or hear about things going on abroad - you’re probably not going to see clips of players in the past playing badly.

20 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Alright I’ll bite, I was having that argument about Maradona the other day. Maradona is obviously one of the best players of all time but how many games of his have people actually watched? A few at World Cups, maybe the odd European cup game.

It’s conventional knowledge that Maradona is one of the greatest but I’m making the assumption that most people just ‘know’ it to be true without ever having thought about it. He performed well at world cups and that’s probably the basis for the idea, if Miroslav Klose had played in the 80s we’d probably think he’s one of the greatest strikers of all time. There’s an availability bias when looking at players in the past, there was fewer games on tv, no internet to watch or hear about things going on abroad - you’re probably not going to see clips of players in the past playing badly.

In the 2010 World Cup me and my mate used to have a laugh about being asked in 50 years time by kids what it was like to watch the great Miroslav Kloss whilst struggling to describe his attributes without mentioning the word 'heading'.

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

When you get someone like Maradona, a player who obviously won top level titles across different leagues and Internationally (including winning the World Cup of course), I think it comes down to consistency. You look back at what he's done at the clubs he's been at.

But yeah I take your point about it being a given. I obviously never saw him play so all I know he, and a few others, are regarded as one of the greatest ever.

I still know who I personally consider greats in my lifetime, for example I think Brazilian Ronaldo is the greatest centre forward I've seen, but on social media I'll see people trying to knock stats out justifying why player X isn't actually good. It's daft. I remember Argentina playing in the World Cup final a few years back and Messi missing a one on one but I wouldn't use that to suggest I don't think he's a great.

Dunno where I've gone with that, I think I lost myself lol 

Maybe it's more because everything is more open nowadays and you see people's opinions more. Like I said Curtis Woodhouse trying to tell people Giggs wasn't that good because he didn't score as many as Mane/Salah!? It's a stupid comparison. Like when we had the old football thread, it's hard to make a comparison because the game has changed so much.

(I used Maradona as an example btw).

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, stix said:

The fact that it takes ISP’s weeks to activate services when you move house. Especially when there is no requirement for an engineer to come out to do anything. 

I know it’s a minor issue/first world problem but having two teenagers in a house without wifi for two weeks is going to be a bloody nightmare!!!

If any of you in the house has a decent amount of data on their mobile contract, you can always set that phone up as a mobile hotspot and share that data over WiFi to everyone. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stix said:

The fact that it takes ISP’s weeks to activate services when you move house. Especially when there is no requirement for an engineer to come out to do anything. 

I know it’s a minor issue/first world problem but having two teenagers in a house without wifi for two weeks is going to be a bloody nightmare!!!

You can get a Vodafone USB dongle for about 30 quid a month no contract.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

You can get a Vodafone USB dongle for about 30 quid a month no contract.

My isp is Vodafone. I will look into that though. 👍🏻

tbh it’s just the fact that i can’t see what the delay is in switching over. Somebody more in the know on here may put me right on the subject. Just seems a long time to me. 

Edit: But even then, if I was to buy a dongle for say the next month, would it not take them some time to activate that dongle? In the same way it’s gonna take time to activate my router? 

Edited by stix

33 minutes ago, The Bear said:

If any of you in the house has a decent amount of data on their mobile contract, you can always set that phone up as a mobile hotspot and share that data over WiFi to everyone. 

Yeah, thing is though mate, my girls probably plough through 100gb plus between them a month just on the WiFi at home. Plus the 20 odd gb on their phones. Cheers though

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, stix said:

Yeah, thing is though mate, my girls probably plough through 100gb plus between them a month just on the WiFi at home. Plus the 20 odd gb on their phones. Cheers though

When are you moving? I have an unlimited Vodafone dongle you can borrow, but we're going on holiday on the 3rd July and I need to take it with me for work 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Jumpers, sliders, shotguns, snipers, practically everyone who kills me on COD.

There should be an over 50’s lobby for the players who can’t see properly and whose reaction times are like those of errrrm someone in their 50’s  🤨 

You just know it would be full of teenagers hosing the old farts lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Jumpers, sliders, shotguns, snipers, practically everyone who kills me on COD.

There should be an over 50’s lobby for the players who can’t see properly and whose reaction times are like those of errrrm someone in their 50’s  🤨 

God I remember being a teenager wondering why everyone else was so shit at BF and COD. NOW I KNOW WHY. 

These days I get my online shooter fix on WW2 military sims like Hell Let Loose and Post Scriptum, they're all old farts playing them too.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, z-layrex said:

God I remember being a teenager wondering why everyone else was so shit at BF and COD. NOW I KNOW WHY. 

These days I get my online shooter fix on WW2 military sims like Hell Let Loose and Post Scriptum now, they're all old farts too.

I was decent once upon a time, KD of over 2 on Black Ops but now 🙈 the ravages of time 😂 

54 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

When are you moving? I have an unlimited Vodafone dongle you can borrow, but we're going on holiday on the 3rd July and I need to take it with me for work 

Wow thanks Debs that’s really kind of you but honestly I couldn’t do that. 

Get the keys tomorrow!! 🥳

Edit: When you originally got that dongle, did you have to wait a period of time for it to be activated? Or did you simply buy it, plug it in that day and it worked? 

Edited by stix
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, stix said:

Wow thanks Debs that’s really kind of you but honestly I couldn’t do that. 

Get the keys tomorrow!! 🥳

Edit: When you originally got that dongle, did you have to wait a period of time for it to be activated? Or did you simply buy it, plug it in that day and it worked? 

It's from work, it worked instantly, but I can't see why it would be any different if you bought one. The only thing I've thought of since is I'm pretty sure it only works for the device it's plugged into but I could be wrong, it may work as a hotspot too, I've just never needed to try. 

Good luck with the move! 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

It's from work, it worked instantly, but I can't see why it would be any different if you bought one. The only thing I've thought of since is I'm pretty sure it only works for the device it's plugged into but I could be wrong, it may work as a hotspot too, I've just never needed to try. 

Good luck with the move! 

Thanks. Yeah that’s the thing, if it does work as a hotspot then it’ll be perfect. 

We can’t wait. Busy week ahead!! 

12 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I was decent once upon a time, KD of over 2 on Black Ops but now 🙈 the ravages of time 😂 

I think it's mostly down to fairer matchmaking, I ended up with an average 3.2 KD on Black Ops 1 when I stopped playing and in MW now it's 1.03. At least that's what I'm telling myself lol

Hardly ever get a match anymore where it's full of noobs and every time you pop the trigger you get a kill

• Like 1

The interruption on the daily cornavirus update on the BBC, why o why do they proceed to have an interview with a guest/correspondent at 4.55pm knowing they will go live to downing street??? "Going to have to stop you there!" and "Now we have to go live to downing street" it just comes across as amateurish. 

Just reply the daily news headlines and just cut to fade FFS! 

10 minutes ago, oakman said:

Things being described as a Side Hustle or a Life Hack.

Any sort of life hack/recipe video you see pop up on Facebook or twitter are horrendous. The food ones are usually awfully decadent American recipes that probably take a few weeks off your life span