Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Got some feedback from an interview process yesterday where I was in the top two but what swung was the fact the other candidate was female because the company needs to look outwardly more diverse. Tbf I appreciate the honesty of the bloke and willingness to admit cos you know it goes on. 

A few months back I was going to apply for a programme for those underrepresented in venture capital. Thought being a working class white, straight male who wasn't on free school meals wasn't enough being as it never has been for anything else. Found out a white male straight guy that I knew at uni whose family own a house in Fulham and who went to grammar school is on the programme. I thought it was hubristic for me to apply, hence I didn't, so no idea why he did and how he got on. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Got some feedback from an interview process yesterday where I was in the top two but what swung was the fact the other candidate was female because the company needs to look outwardly more diverse. Tbf I appreciate the honesty of the bloke and willingness to admit cos you know it goes on. 

A few months back I was going to apply for a programme for those underrepresented in venture capital. Thought being a working class white, straight male who wasn't on free school meals wasn't enough being as it never has been for anything else. Found out a white male straight guy that I knew at uni whose family own a house in Fulham and who went to grammar school is on the programme. I thought it was hubristic for me to apply, hence I didn't, so no idea why he did and how he got on. 

The guy who told you that is a fool. There will be people on here who know more than me but isn’t that illegal and you can potentially sue? Although proving it may be difficult.

That, imho, is disgusting. I have been taught under no circumstances to have any kind of bias during interview process whatsoever. The course I went on for recruitment was quite strict on it. I know deep down there will always be some sort of bias in some way. People get judged every day rightly or wrong but to be actively told you weren’t hired because you weren’t female and they want to appear more diverse is wrong.

appealing may be extreme but that has shocked me what you’ve just put 

That's unfair and also illegal. Discrimination of any kind when interviewing/appointing an individual is an offence in law. Challenge it if you you feel you are better qualified although how you prove that without knowing the other candidate is probably impossible. 

The guy who disclosed this information to you is also in the wrong. Any interview process is confidential and restricted to the panel and the interviewee

2 minutes ago, Guest said:

Posting something along the lines of "WELL THEN, TIME TO BRING OFF THEIR STRIKER LOL" whenever a team goes 1-0 up is going to be the new go-to forum joke isn't it? From the genius minds who brought you amazingly witty gags about AFCON and Chris Sutton

Just swap the kop and the family stand and that will sort this problem out I reckon. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Guest said:

Posting something along the lines of "WELL THEN, TIME TO BRING OFF THEIR STRIKER LOL" whenever a team goes 1-0 up is going to be the new go-to forum joke isn't it? From the genius minds who brought you amazingly witty gags about AFCON and Chris Sutton

GERRIMIN!

39 minutes ago, Guest said:

Worse than this 10 posts every time a team who beat us is losing a game, reminding everyone they beat us.

10 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Can I add the "elevenarefe" people in with this lot, too? You know, that one person who you say something to but they've done it also but just that little bit better, or they've never done it but they're more than willing to tell you why they've not done it, how they'd do it and how they'd do it differently/better. They can't let you have your thing, or if they also have done it but better, they use a tone of superiority.

Exactly what I was getting at!! Also they can’t let you say anything without jumping on it or disagreeing. I worked with someone who you couldn’t even say anything to without it becoming a weird thing for them to disagree with. “Morning, how are you? Traffic was a bit bad this morning?” “No it wasn’t, you call that bad traffic?!?!”. X 

41 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Can I add the "elevenarefe" people in with this lot, too? You know, that one person who you say something to but they've done it also but just that little bit better, or they've never done it but they're more than willing to tell you why they've not done it, how they'd do it and how they'd do it differently/better. They can't let you have your thing, or if they also have done it but better, they use a tone of superiority.

Appreciate it's not quite the same thing, but I worked with someone who always owned having been ill before someone - it was really strange, as if they were proud of it.

"You're coming down with a cold? It'll be the same one I had." 

In isolation or from the outside looking in, not that annoying - but once it's been noticed it drives you insane when it happens again and again.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 2

In a similar vein, those who ask you a 'lead-in' question just so they can tell you about their life, ad nauseam.

They'll ask you about your new grandchild for example and before you can utter more than a few words they go on and on and on about theirs.

I think my problem is I can fake looking interested, so they carry on. One day I'll just look at them and say, 'You're boring me now' and enjoy the look on their face.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Can’t quite exactly define what I mean by this one but people who say things like “you’re tired?! Try having three kids” or  “cheer up” or “well you’re just lucky you’re skinny”. Or when you’ve had good news and they somehow find the one aspect of it that is negative and point it out. Basically those passive aggressive fvcks that are so insecure about their own life that every little thing they say has to be a slight dig. People that just drain all the energy from everyone they meet. X

There's nothing worse than working with someone who's just negative because you're stuck with them all day. Do my head in. I just wanna shout "look for a new job" then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Can’t quite exactly define what I mean by this one but people who say things like “you’re tired?! Try having three kids” or  “cheer up” or “well you’re just lucky you’re skinny”. Or when you’ve had good news and they somehow find the one aspect of it that is negative and point it out. Basically those passive aggressive fvcks that are so insecure about their own life that every little thing they say has to be a slight dig. People that just drain all the energy from everyone they meet. X

I call them 'mood hoovers' 

• Like 1

The humblebrag stilll gets me.

Some guy I used to worked with had to be forced to have a black schoolkid from a poor background shadow him for, at most, an hour around 10 years ago and complained about it at the time and afterwarss. Now the kid is a qualified lawyer and only after the company told people internally, he's managed to fish to out the only pic of both of them from the marketing department and posted on LinkedIn about 'when I first mentored him' on how he helped him and been an inspiration to someone who is from a working class black background, tying in black lives matter etc.

Wrote about 15 lines of how he was such an apparent inspiration on the kid rather than praising the kid himself so obviously just saw it as an opportunity for self promotion. What a wan ker.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Swarles Barkley said:

We’re all “insert name of football team who you obviously are backing” aren’t we?

such a stupid saying

Nearly bit, there! Good effort, but just a little too obvious. The art of these digs usually lies in the subtlety. Perhaps layer it a little more. It'll come !

On 15/07/2020 at 20:20, jonthefox said:

When people say ' yeah yeah yeah 100%'. :@

And “listen.”

I spoke with a fella the other day - just me and him standing in the street taking it in turns to exchange views. He told me listen at least four times when I wasn’t speaking and before he said anything. I had to expIain what might happen in a really friendly way what it might look like if I wasn’t listening and what may happen if he instructed me a fifth time.

• Like 2

Staying on the theme of social annoyances, one that gripes me is when you are in a group of random people discussing something everyone agrees with and then out of nowhere someone starts arguing their point at you as if you dont agree with them. 

Think they think its a way of making them look assertive or passionate about the subject or something to the other members of the group, quite sad really.