Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

9 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Disappointed to see supermarket workers being disrespected by some. Might not be as important as NHS staff but we've had to carry on throughout all of this, often made harder by inconsiderate arse holes. Yeah it's not an admirable job but we have families too which have been put at risk by our continued exposure to the public

100% often looked down on by society, but its something everyone needs, from Waitrose to Lidl and everything in-between.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Disappointed to see supermarket workers being disrespected by some. Might not be as important as NHS staff but we've had to carry on throughout all of this, often made harder by inconsiderate arse holes. Yeah it's not an admirable job but we have families too which have been put at risk by our continued exposure to the public

I'm sure it's happening but my impression is that respect for supermarket workers has gone up dramatically since covid and rightly so. 

Disrespecting anyone for their employment, unless it's illegal or immoral, is incredibly childish fullstop. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

When you see an advert for a sale and fancy freshening up your wardrobe so you hit the browser and go to the website but the clobber in the sale is still absurdly priced

IMG-20200604-WA0018.jpg

It’s ridiculous. Get an email saying there’s a massive sale on. Click the link, and not only are the most hideous colours the only ones on sale, but it’s literally a few quid off the already obscene price. 

6 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Essex blokes that live up the thick ponce stereotype on purpose.

In fact its pissing me off more that Denise van Outen is with this wet wipe

You have been watching CGB then I take it. He comes across as a right pleb doesn’t he.

Joe Swash just as bad as well, though I don’t actually thinks he likes his partner that much. 

4 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

You have been watching CGB then I take it. He comes across as a right pleb doesn’t he.

Joe Swash just as bad as well, though I don’t actually thinks he likes his partner that much. 

Yeah I usually hate gogglebox but since lockdown I’ve barely missed one lol 

Agree about Joe Swash. He’s obviously a moron, but lays it on thick like Joey Essex. 

Edited by RonnieTodger

On 11/06/2020 at 21:52, foxfanazer said:

You are every bit as important as nhs staff. Literally part of the logistics operation that feeds people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/06/2020 at 19:44, Parafox said:

This too. And they are the same people allowing you in and out of the store. They've been given a power they never dreamt of when they were told they would be mostly collecting trolleys when they applied for a job.

I put something similar in a different thread a few weeks back. 

Every job has it’s variation of characters (I know mine does). But with all the strict guidelines in place, it seems some supermarket workers believe that they’re immune to the virus and don’t need to stay more than a couple of inches away at best while rushing round the store. I appreciate that it’s probably a hectic job at the minute but still. 

Also had a few occasions where the ‘security’ staff have acted like power-mad ar$eholes completely unnecessarily.
Eg- allowing you to walk right up to the door before putting their arm out and stopping you in a manner you wouldn’t expect to be spoken to. Or not saying anything and then asking why you’ve walked in without been told otherwise. One even asked why I hadn’t come in and had waited outside while shaking his head at me in disgust. At my local ASDA it seems like you literally can’t win. I’m far from highly strung but politeness costs nothing and from some it seems like either too much hard work, or they’re just enjoying their power while it lasts. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

19 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

When they pronounce herb ERB it really gets to me. 

lol that gets me too. We drop our  Hs all the time except for that word, that the only word they drop the H for. 

Edited by Webbo

15 hours ago, oakman said:

Americans pronouncing vehicle as vee-hickle.

12 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

For some reason this has always really tickled me, I love to hear them pronounce it like that 

I kinda like it too, but isn't it more like vi-hee-ickle?  The more convoluted and the more syllables, the better.

Pronouncing aluminium as 'aloominum' gets me though.  As if aluminium is just too hard.  A bit like a toddler making an approximation of a difficult word.

Edited by murphy

On 11/06/2020 at 23:17, Benguin said:

I'm sure it's happening but my impression is that respect for supermarket workers has gone up dramatically since covid and rightly so. 

Disrespecting anyone for their employment, unless it's illegal or immoral, is incredibly childish fullstop. 

I agree.

Hate that kind of snobbery.

On 11/06/2020 at 19:37, Fox92 said:

Some supermarket workers too get really close or just stand around idling chatting with their colleagues.

On 11/06/2020 at 19:44, Parafox said:

This too. And they are the same people allowing you in and out of the store. They've been given a power they never dreamt of when they were told they would be mostly collecting trolleys when they applied for a job.

Just to clarify, I wasn't intending to cause offence. I think supermarket shop floor workers probably come into more contact with the general public than most other key workers outside of the hospital setting. I also understand that it must be worrying for some. For that very reason they should be amongst the most vigilant in terms of self protection and for the safety of the customers. The public have been advised to wear masks in supermarkets and other shops where social distancing is difficult but I haven't seen one member of staff in my local supermarket wearing a mask or gloves or using hand sanitiser which customers are expected to use before entry. I have been roundly told off by one person (I know it's only one and it's not a generalisation) for not wiping down the trolley handle and for walking to the entrance before I had been told I could. I then go in store and there's staff walking the wrong way down the clearly marked "no entry" one way system, putting stuff on shelves and hardly moving out of the way when people try to get past. I've had to wait until one of them finished stocking the shelf before I could get to what I wanted. 

It's not all but certainly it's evident that some staff don't maintain a safe distance from colleagues or customers and that's frustrating.

For the record, Morrison's is a shambles at social distancing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Just to clarify, I wasn't intending to cause offence. I think supermarket shop floor workers probably come into more contact with the general public than most other key workers outside of the hospital setting. I also understand that it must be worrying for some. For that very reason they should be amongst the most vigilant in terms of self protection and for the safety of the customers. The public have been advised to wear masks in supermarkets and other shops where social distancing is difficult but I haven't seen one member of staff in my local supermarket wearing a mask or gloves or using hand sanitiser which customers are expected to use before entry. I have been roundly told off by one person (I know it's only one and it's not a generalisation) for not wiping down the trolley handle and for walking to the entrance before I had been told I could. I then go in store and there's staff walking the wrong way down the clearly marked "no entry" one way system, putting stuff on shelves and hardly moving out of the way when people try to get past. I've had to wait until one of them finished stocking the shelf before I could get to what I wanted. 

It's not all but certainly it's evident that some staff don't maintain a safe distance from colleagues or customers and that's frustrating.

For the record, Morrison's is a shambles at social distancing.

You didn't cause offence mate. I think some people do give others a bad name but in all honesty inconsiderate customers are making the job almost impossible so maybe that's causing staff to have a 'what's the point' kind of attitude. 

As for wearing a mask, there are quite a few at my place wearing them but there's no way I could wear one for the 60 hours a week I've been doing. I get really claustrophobic and have problems breathing due to a nose break years ago. I can assure you every member of staff I work with are regularly washing their hands and using anti bacterial gel

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, murphy said:

I kinda like it too, but isn't it more like vi-hee-ickle?  The more convoluted and the more syllables, the better.

Pronouncing aluminium as 'aloominum' gets me though.  As bif aluminium is just too hard.  A bit like a toddler making an approximation of a difficult word.

They spell it as ‘aluminum’ though don’t they? 

6 hours ago, murphy said:

Pronouncing aluminium as 'aloominum' gets me though.  As bif aluminium is just too hard.  A bit like a toddler making an approximation of a difficult word.

When I first moved away from Leicester, the pronunciations that were noted by others, from elsewhere, was interesting. The big one is the way we pronounce the Y at the end of words like copy and money, a very pronounced Eh sound.

Maybe that’s just my diction though lol

9 minutes ago, Stadt said:

They spell it as ‘aluminum’ though don’t they? 

They do.

I'm bored so I looked it up:

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary English chemist Sir Humphry Davy named the element alumium in 1808 and then changed it to aluminum in 1812. British editors changed it to aluminium to be more in keeping with other elements such as potassium and sodium, while the Americans retained the spelling as aluminum.

Well I never knew that.  Seems they are more correct than we are.