Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Seriously considering deactivating my Facebook account.

I barely ever post anything. It's full of absolute cretins, fake crap, attention seeking horsesh*t, nonsense posts and adverts.

And generally with the world as it is at the moment, most things that aren't the above just get me down or make me anxious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I barely ever post anything. It's full of absolute cretins, fake crap, attention seeking horsesh*t, nonsense posts and adverts.

And generally with the world as it is at the moment, most things that aren't the above just get me down or make me anxious.

Got rid of mine a few years ago now, and I've never looked back. 

4 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Do it! Did it the other day as I found myself coming away angry at opinions of people I don't care about. 

In a much better mood recently too.

• Like 3

Worse things happen at sea (and elsewhere) but currently on hold to Hoover/Candy spares department, with the terrible hold music occasionally sticking (like CDs used to) so like the soundtrack to a nightmare. When I get through they won't be able to identify the model (even though I have the exact number) and if they can they either won't have the part or if they do the cost will be just enough to make it impossible to decide whether to write the sodding thing off or not

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Worse things happen at sea (and elsewhere) but currently on hold to Hoover/Candy spares department, with the terrible hold music occasionally sticking (like CDs used to) so like the soundtrack to a nightmare. When I get through they won't be able to identify the model (even though I have the exact number) and if they can they either won't have the part or if they do the cost will be just enough to make it impossible to decide whether to write the sodding thing off or not

Got cut off after an hour and a half without getting through

31 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

If I didn't need it for work, I wouldn't bother with Twitter.

Way worse than Facebook.

So so vile.

I've been on Twitter for over a decade now, and I genuinely don't know how much longer I can stay on it. Cesspool is a moderate way of putting it.

It's divisive, nasty, bitter, cruel, unforgiving. I don't know why most people even post. One word, comma, remark out of turn and you can get hounded ganged up on in a pile-on of epic proportions. Both sides, left and right, are on the lookout for their next victim they can hound into submissions.

People with rational, central opinions are rare, because when they say something rational they're usually called out as an apologist for the left or right. The BBC is a left-wing rag or a right-wing rag, depending on your viewpoint. Everyone is desperate to either get high and mighty or to extol their contemptuous bile (whichever political persuasion you swing)

Echo chambers are getting louder, hounds of either side are getting bigger, stronger in voice.

• Like 2

I've deleted Facebook, well the app anyway, recently too. Stuck with Twitter for now, it's my main source of news and there are some decent people and accounts to follow on there. I dont know what's worse, seeing the opinions of millions I've never met or seeing opinions of people I know, even more so if they are family members. 

30 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I've been on Twitter for over a decade now, and I genuinely don't know how much longer I can stay on it. Cesspool is a moderate way of putting it.

It's divisive, nasty, bitter, cruel, unforgiving. I don't know why most people even post. One word, comma, remark out of turn and you can get hounded ganged up on in a pile-on of epic proportions. Both sides, left and right, are on the lookout for their next victim they can hound into submissions.

People with rational, central opinions are rare, because when they say something rational they're usually called out as an apologist for the left or right. The BBC is a left-wing rag or a right-wing rag, depending on your viewpoint. Everyone is desperate to either get high and mighty or to extol their contemptuous bile (whichever political persuasion you swing)

Echo chambers are getting louder, hounds of either side are getting bigger, stronger in voice.

But other than that, you enjoy it? 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I quite like it but mainly because I've managed to get it completely wrong, in that I've managed to acquire next to no followers and basically tweet to an audience of about 5 people who don't seem to get too upset about what I put on there. I see people complaining about what you're talking about all the time, but I wouldn't know how to get more attention even if I wanted to

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Try espares mate

4 hours ago, RoboFox said:

The game ends when you stop playing, as the cliched Facebook meme goes.

2 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I actually love Twitter although I rarely actually tweet these days. Carved up into slices I follow footy stuff, music stuff, design stuff, beer / brewery / pub stuff and funny buggers - I steer clear of any politics and my experience on it is all the better for it.

Instagram is similar, it's only as vapid as you want your feed to be - I use it for virtually the same as above and find it a great thing to scroll through for that reason.

I rarely, if ever, go on Facey, the only purpose mine serves atm is a point of contact if anyone urgently needs me, which no one does.

Same. I follow breweries, pubs and some things related to work. I find it quite useful as a way to keep up with developments. Perfectly easy to switch off the mental stuff. 

2 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I actually love Twitter although I rarely actually tweet these days. Carved up into slices I follow footy stuff, music stuff, design stuff, beer / brewery / pub stuff and funny buggers - I steer clear of any politics and my experience on it is all the better for it.

Instagram is similar, it's only as vapid as you want your feed to be - I use it for virtually the same as above and find it a great thing to scroll through for that reason.

I rarely, if ever, go on Facey, the only purpose mine serves atm is a point of contact if anyone urgently needs me, which no one does.

Never got into Twitter but Instagram is my go-to now. Only go on Facebook for events and to find out who's birthdays I've missed

Sitting waiting in a queue on live chat with a query. Stated they would be with me in a couple of minutes. Sat there bloody half an hour with no response. 

Just don’t say you’ll be with me in a couple of minutes ffs

Edited by chrishlcfc

The (modern day) obsession with stats. 

I saw Curtis Woodhouse on twitter suggest Giggs was overrated and one reason because he didn't score as many goals as modern day wingers do.

It's not comparable given how the role has changed over time.

It's like when Maradona is considered by pundits/fans/players/managers to be one of the greatest ever yet a teenager on twitter will say he's overrated because his best return for Napoli was 15 goals.

Stats don't paint half the picture and aren't the justification to win a debate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The fact that it takes ISP’s weeks to activate services when you move house. Especially when there is no requirement for an engineer to come out to do anything. 

I know it’s a minor issue/first world problem but having two teenagers in a house without wifi for two weeks is going to be a bloody nightmare!!!

23 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I saw Curtis Woodhouse on twitter suggest Giggs was overrated and one reason because he didn't score as many goals as modern day wingers do.

It's like when Maradona is considered by pundits/fans/players/managers to be one of the greatest ever yet a teenager on twitter will say he's overrated because his best return for Napoli was 15 goals.

Stats don't paint half the picture and aren't the justification to win a debate.

94.5% of all statistics are bollox.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Depends on the stats and the debate IMO.

Actually...branching off from that, one for this thread - people that use anecdotal evidence as an excuse to disbelieve statistically proven science, eg. climate change and efficiacy of vaccinations.

• Like 3