Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Worst job you ever had

Worst job I ever had was as a scaffolder on a military base (summer job when at Uni), half of the other guys on the job were soldiers who couldn't think of anything better to do whilst on leave. Hard, dangerous work surrounded by the dumbest squaddies on earth.

My worst job ironically is the same as my best job

My current job involves helping people (well sort of) and doing a lot of liasing with other agencies to try and help people that I (my job) can't.

The bloody politics and dodgy bosses I work for and also some back stabbing two faced fvck wits in the job as well (usually trying to climb the ladder)

However the laughs you have with the genuine colleagues and eventually very good friends out of work make it all worth while

Calder Colours?

I did a shift lifting McFlurry mix from a belt on to a pallet. Every now and again some wierdo would come and remove the pallet and drop a new one for me to built. I was incredibly hungover as I did this. Did one shift and then begged for my old Tesco job back which I got.

Yep that's the one. Stuck it out for a whole summer! Forgot to mention the terrible smell of Picachic across the road too.

I've just remembered some other jobs I've done, I've carried fabric at rainbows dyers, involved getting up at 5am and lugging massive rolls of fabric around. Worked at a screen printers, it stank. Had a tempo job developing a database for an email list. The first day was great, I put the database together easily. They then wanted me to stuff and lick envelopes. I didn't go back.

My worst job ironically is the same as my best job

My current job involves helping people (well sort of) and doing a lot of liasing with other agencies to try and help people that I (my job) can't.

The bloody politics and dodgy bosses I work for and also some back stabbing two faced fvck wits in the job as well (usually trying to climb the ladder)

However the laughs you have with the genuine colleagues and eventually very good friends out of work make it all worth while

Great post...

Site engineer on M1 near Nottingham, setting out line and level for grading and paving machines.

It was so cold that when my chain-man (helper), missed with the sledgehammer and caught my knuckles I hardly felt a thing. As it got warmer I learned to swing a 12 sledge with consummate ease as it was less painful.

Cue: "Luxury!!!"

Doing some agency work unloading lorries for ordnal. Worked with some right dopes so went for a couple of pints at lunch to cheer myself up and convinced myself to stick it out until my holidays in a few weeks, spent the afternoon chatting to the lorry drivers and convinced myself to stick it out until the end of the week. Walked home at the end of the day and by the time I got back home I had decided I was never going back. The people I was working with were all with agency's as well yet were earning about £2 an hour more than me. It was that experience that sent me to college all those years back.

Cleaning the dog shite from the bottom of my daughters Nike airforce trainers tonight,the grips ,the smell,the gagging .

Began to hate being a manager at a largish branch of Lloyds.Ended hating every second,but had many good years before,including free holidays .something that was obviously stopped many years ago ,imagine the media if you went to Raffles ,Singapore these days for a bank jolly.

Labouring on Building sites in the Highfields for cash in hand in the 1980s as a student.

God knows what I breathed in.

No helmet, no goggles. I fell off something or cut myself or hammered my hand pretty much constantly. I worked unsafely from ladders and on rooftops.

I did strip outs, landscaping, labouring for brickies, plasterers and roofers.

I was once sat on the back of a truck (again, it was before 'Elf and Safety' kicked in) with a load of other labourers and we passed a film crew for East Midlands Today.

All my fellow labourers hid their faces. They didn't want the DHSS seeing that they had been working, so they could all go and sign on the following week.

:D

Labouring on Building sites in the Highfields for cash in hand in the 1980s as a student.

God knows what I breathed in.

No helmet, no goggles. I fell off something or cut myself or hammered my hand pretty much constantly. I worked unsafely from ladders and on rooftops.

I did strip outs, landscaping, labouring for brickies, plasterers and roofers.

I was once sat on the back of a truck (again, it was before 'Elf and Safety' kicked in) with a load of other labourers and we passed a film crew for East Midlands Today.

All my fellow labourers hid their faces. They didn't want the DHSS seeing that they had been working, so they could all go and sign on the following week.

:D

There was a lot of that in the 80s. I worked with a tiler working cash in hand on an Indian restaurant on the next corner to the job centre. He was called in for an interview once and the bloke interviewing him was the bloke he was on nodding terms with when they both arrived at work in the morning. He reckoned you could see in the interviewers face he was wondering all through where he knew his face from. :D

Not really had a job I really hated but one of the duties I hated the most, when working in the kitchens, was cleaning the stock pots in a fine dining restaurant, after the stock was removed (i was a veggie. It was vile) or making pate :sick:

Delivering the Sporting Blue newspaper on a Saturday evening. Had to collect the money from all the customers and had to deliver across half of Melton. Took fooking hours, first time I did it my parents thought I'd been kidnapped it took so long

I worked for a building company once. My stint lasted four months, it was part of my plan of financing my studies abroad.

It was a humbling experience for someone who had spent the majority of his life in a secure school environment and obviously, I got taken the piss out of me for coming across so book smart almost every single day.

Tell you what, I hated it quite a lot. The contrast to school was so extreme. Suddenly, you're amongst men who only care about how well you perform on the day and how well you can assist them and that they can rely on each other on each new site. I did my best, but the foreman gladly played the hostile card and used many opportunities to take it out on me.

All in all, I'm still glad I did it. It made me appreciate the hardships these men go through every single day and what effort it takes to last in this business up until retirement.

You won't hear me say a bad word about tradesmen in my life - unless they're deliberately doing something wrong.

Archived