Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Worst job you ever had

I worked for a building company once. My stint lasted four months, it was part of my plan of financing my studies abroad.

It was a humbling experience for someone who had spent the majority of his life in a secure school environment and obviously, I got taken the piss out of me for coming across so book smart almost every single day.

Tell you what, I hated it quite a lot. The contrast to school was so extreme. Suddenly, you're amongst men who only care about how well you perform on the day and how well you can assist them and that they can rely on each other on each new site. I did my best, but the foreman gladly played the hostile card and used many opportunities to take it out on me.

All in all, I'm still glad I did it. It made me appreciate the hardships these men go through every single day and what effort it takes to last in this business up until retirement.

You won't hear me say a bad word about tradesmen in my life - unless they're deliberately doing something wrong.

Us tradesmen thank you.

Ok, i know im old... but this was the dogs bollocks back in the day.

**Edit, possible language warning**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SentQjMIioY

"Derek and Clive - Behind the fridge", give it a listen you young whippersnappers  :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17-IDPQEqaw

Should it not be 'worst' job?

Yes, and was picked up on by Babylon in the second post.

I feel like the character in a short story I once read: it was set in a fictional society where criminals are executed repeatedly. Immediately after execution, teams of doctors moved in to revive the criminal, who was then nursed back to full health prior to being executed again.

Ok, i know im old... but this was the dogs bollocks back in the day.

**Edit, possible language warning**

"Derek and Clive - Behind the fridge", give it a listen you young whippersnappers :thumbup:

Have you ever listened to 'Derek and Clive Live', Oz? They take it to a new level in that. lol

'Squatter and the Ant' is just ball-achingly funny. lol

Have you ever listened to 'Derek and Clive Live', Oz? They take it to a new level in that. lol

'Squatter and the Ant' is just ball-achingly funny. lol

Yes.. oh yeh had forgotten Squatter... i listened to them all wayyyyyyyyy back in the day on cassette before this internet thingo happened, think its time to go a wandering... mind you not sure how they stand up in todays world :)

Yes.. oh yeh had forgotten Squatter... i listened to them all wayyyyyyyyy back in the day on cassette before this internet thingo happened, think its time to go a wandering... mind you not sure how they stand up in todays world :)

Cassettes? Mine are all on vinyl. lol

Straight after qualification I took up a job in an area I hated covering for nearly 4 people without the expertise or correct training to bullshit my way through.

The toughest period of my life. I couldn't quit as had commitments and finding an alternative form

Of employment was just as hard.

I will not lie, I realise it now but the job made me depressed and I believe I was borderline suicidal at times. I hated waking up in the morning.

However, like most things in life, the experience made me stronger for what was and has come since then. Very little phases me and nothing and I mean nothing, is as bad as that period.

If you are or have had something tough in life, it is character building. What might seem as a dead end or hopeless situation, will actually benefit you in the long run. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

Just thinking about that period makes me feel crap lol.

Oh and by the way I studied hard a school/college and university but still found myself in the unfortunate situation where I hated what I did.

Straight after qualification I took up a job in an area I hated covering for nearly 4 people without the expertise or correct training to bullshit my way through.

The toughest period of my life. I couldn't quit as had commitments and finding an alternative form

I will not lie, I realise it now but the job made me depressed and I believe I was borderline suicidal at times. I hated waking up in the morning.

However, like most things in life, the experience made me stronger for what was and has come since then. Very little phases me and nothing and I mean nothing, is as bad as that period.

If you are or have had something tough in life, it is character building. What might seem as a dead end or hopeless situation, will actually benefit you in the long run. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

Oh and by the way I studied hard a school/college and university but still found myself in the unfortunate situation where I hated what I did.

Sounds familiar, and very true.

:appl:

I suppose being a kitchen hand at the newly built Ross Service station on the M1 at Leicester Forest East wasn't the greatest way of earning a much-appreciated first crust, but even that was better than being a sub-editor on the Birmingham Post and Mail which re-wrote the definition of the word boring.

It wasn't the job i applied for - just a temporary holding job while the post I really wanted came up.

But the boredom won. Newspaper journalism was on the wane and I was more than happy to start working for myself instead.

Other than that - and the coldest midwinter days on Leicester market - all my other jobs have been great. Good bosses, lots of variety and excitement, so many chances that most folk never get to enjoy and, later, the chance to run several completely different businesses of my own.

Working life's been close to 10/10 for me. My only regret was not taking an offer to be night editor for The Press Association in London's Fleet Street, but there were good reasons. I often did shifts for Fleet Street papers but would have liked to have worked in the capital.    

Walked out of a job as Bar Manager in a 4 star hotel due to ridiculous working hours and had to get a job working in the local Wetherspoons to pay the bills. I was only there for 5 weeks but I hated every single ****ing second of it.

That 5 weeks gave me the push to go for my AAT qualifications and now I work as a finance assistant.

Worked at Dunelm Mill's manufacturing building in Syston when I was about 17. Only lasted about 2 weeks as I had to leave at 6.30am and didn't get back until 6.30pm. Buildings full of other miserable bastards and people that couldn't speak English.

Sometimes quitting really is the right choice. I'm the youngest artworker/designer at my new place of work.

Needed a job in the summer after I finished uni and worked for recruitment company.

It was alright at first but then a guy got sacked and I was sent to work on site at a garlic bread making factory.

I had to work split shifts (5am - 11am and then 5pm to 8pm) to cover the start of each shift - killing my social life instantly. I was a 21 year old managing 100-odd immigrant workers (mostly) of which about 10 spoke any English. To make matters worse the shift managers in the factory were proper nasty ***** and I'd never know if I needed 5 or 55 workers for the next shift.

Having spent a couple of months sat mostly by myself in a portacabin that stunk of garlic, watching Romanians and Russians scrapping in the car park between shifts, I finally jacked it in when (and I'm not joking here) an Iraqi guy reacted to being put on day shift by trying to stab me.

I still can't believe I stick out such a truly shitty job but I'm quite glad I did in a strange way. The communication problems, general irrationality and constant threat of violence certainly prepared me for a career in teaching if nothing else.

Needed a job in the summer after I finished uni and worked for recruitment company.

It was alright at first but then a guy got sacked and I was sent to work on site at a garlic bread making factory.

I had to work split shifts (5am - 11am and then 5pm to 8pm) to cover the start of each shift - killing my social life instantly. I was a 21 year old managing 100-odd immigrant workers (mostly) of which about 10 spoke any English. To make matters worse the shift managers in the factory were proper nasty ***** and I'd never know if I needed 5 or 55 workers for the next shift.

Having spent a couple of months sat mostly by myself in a portacabin that stunk of garlic, watching Romanians and Russians scrapping in the car park between shifts, I finally jacked it in when (and I'm not joking here) an Iraqi guy reacted to being put on day shift by trying to stab me.

I'm sure it was terrifying but I couldn't help but laugh at that

Trainee knitting machine mechanic at Peter Christian on Knighton Lane.

My boss was a horrible geezer who made you wash his car, held you down while the mechanics tried to grease your balls and generally knocked you around.

Was always telling me I was useless and wouldn't ever be any good.

The place is gone now, replaced by new blocks of flats, one block of ten flats I am interested in buying.

Wonder how that horrible ba&tard is doing now?

Ive enjoyed a "varied" work life, one of my first jobs was as a  (steam) Presser in a jeans factory.

Of course first, you know it was the 80s by the fact we were pressing a crease in the jeans lol. and if the crease wasnt straight down the middle of the jeans and perfectly crisp we had to redo them. :)

There were 8 of us in the press room, which was a low ceilinged room with no airconditioning or ventialtion each of us had a large industrial steam press (ever seen the prison laundry scenes from back in the day, that was the look and feel) that you had to slam down, lock in place and then hit with a blast of steam.

We were expected to press 100s of pairs each day and in summer with the outside temp hitting 40+, inside the press room it was always over 50..and with all the steam, it was literally (and i MEAN literally) like working in a sauna, i would finish they day my hands and arms up to the tshirt line completyely blue from the denim rubbing off, and completely soaked in sweat from head to foot, clothing soaked and enjoying the intake of everyone elses sweet sweat.

However.. we had a loud radio and a great bunch of lads and we got paid bonus for exceeding the daily limit... horrible and brilliant in one 

This is the kinda thing

brooks-tampa.jpg

Just in dead end agency warehouse jobs. Never applied myself enough at school despite being intelligent. I work hard now for little money and no real prospects

rant over lol

You're never too old to do the learning thing mate. It's called 'lifelong learning' these days..lots of courses and different ways of studying, geared up for people of all ages. Decide what you wanna do and go for it. PM me if I can give you any advice on how to access courses.

Archived