Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark 'expert' Lawrenson

Best live albums?

James brown - live at the apollo

Neil Young - Unplugged

10,000 Maniacs - Unplugged

Pearl Jam - Live on 2 legs

Arctic monkeys - live at the apollo

The Smiths - Rank

The Jam - Dig the new breed

The Clash - From Here To Eternity

Would be amongst my favourites.

Spiritualized - Royal Albert Hall

Thee Hypnotics - Live'r Than God

Sign yourself up to dimeadozen.org there are plenty of live recordings there spanning many decades some soundboard, some Tv and radio and some audience recordings

I was never a big Nirvana fan and still am not really bothered by them, with exception of a few tracks from Bleach and Mollys Lips, but Unplugged in New York is an amazing piece of work.

Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison is ace, and of course the fact that Fugazi are are about to release EVERY live show they played for download means one of them is bound to take the title for me.

Maybe I'm the only person who doesn't like live albums. I hate the crowd noise and the stupid whoops and people singing along. I want to listen to the band morons! Unless I was there and it brings back memories, it's pointless.

On the other hand a live recorded studio album is brilliant. I think that The Cowboy Junkies's Trinity Sessions is the ultimate example for me.

Maybe I'm the only person who doesn't like live albums. I hate the crowd noise and the stupid whoops and people singing along. I want to listen to the band morons! Unless I was there and it brings back memories, it's pointless.

I agree actually.

Portishead's Roseland NYC live album (on CD and DVD) is amazing (really, really amazing) and would be even better if they had removed the hands of every member of the audience before letting them in to watch. Clapping along to arguably their most beautiful song, Roads, is unforgiveable and completely ruins the atmosphere of the performance.

On the other hand a live recorded studio album is brilliant. I think that The Cowboy Junkies's Trinity Sessions is the ultimate example for me.

Yes, you have a point about whooping and shouting, Green Days Bullet in a bible being a good example Billy Jo Armstrong continually shouting ENGLAND can grate a little, and otherwise spolis a great live album. For me though I prefer some live tracks compared to the studio versions, Oasis's Familiar To Millions being a good example, Supersonic and Live Forever are far better live than in the studio.

That is why I love a good live album the energy of playing live can lift a song beyond a studio version, and for this reason I put up with the whooping and clapping and the thankyou's.

Yes, you have a point about whooping and shouting, Green Days Bullet in a bible being a good example Billy Jo Armstrong continually shouting ENGLAND can grate a little, and otherwise spolis a great live album. For me though I prefer some live tracks compared to the studio versions, Oasis's Familiar To Millions being a good example, Supersonic and Live Forever are far better live than in the studio.

That is why I love a good live album the energy of playing live can lift a song beyond a studio version, and for this reason I put up with the whooping and clapping and the thankyou's.

Brothers and sisters, GET THOSE HANDS IN THE AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIRRRRRR.

I was never a fan either but there are a few exceptions Bro,

vevy87.jpg

&

333.jpg

& although it's only half of it is live

still.jpg

Archived