Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

12 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

If I leave a wasp nest alone will cold weather eventually kill it off?

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. Had one in the roof of my house this summer, they were fine until a couple of weeks ago and they became super aggressive. Had the buggers sprayed. £45 treatment and if it doesn't work the first time they come out free of charge until they're dead. Worth every penny. 

8 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

If I leave a wasp nest alone will cold weather eventually kill it off?

Wasps don’t die in the cold, they die of starvation. The queen on the other hand stockpiles food, hibernates and reproduces in the spring at an exponential rate. Get rid or you’ll have a problem next spring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2018 at 15:35, Kopfkino said:

Yes but if the Queen survives hibernation there's a decent chance she'll be making her new one nearby next year

On 24/09/2018 at 18:31, Benguin said:

Wasps don’t die in the cold, they die of starvation. The queen on the other hand stockpiles food, hibernates and reproduces in the spring at an exponential rate. Get rid or you’ll have a problem next spring.

Iirc, this isn't entirely accurate. 

The Queen that built that nest dies at the end of the year. There are new queens that leave the nest and go off to hibernate. 

They're the ones that survive the winter, in theory, and when they wake they go and find a place to start a new nest. Obviously it's possible that they didn't go far and they might make the same choice that their "mother" queen did but its no kind of certainty. 

I'm not saying extermination isn't still the best bet but yanno. 

17 minutes ago, Buce said:

I guess it depends on its value. What did it cost?

£200 

13 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

If it's faulty won't the seller pay for it to be returned? 

It's only a small company so doesn't look like it, I'm going to have to pay customs again to get it back too. :dry:

17 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

£200 

It's only a small company so doesn't look like it, I'm going to have to pay customs again to get it back too. :dry:

You can claim the customs fee back if you're returning the item. I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't have to pay to return it, you shouldn't be out of pocket because they've sent you a faulty item. What does their returns policy say? 

35 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

£200 

I run a couple of ecommerce sites and I have to say that sounds a little unreasonable. We don't cover return postage for items that the customer simply doesn't like, but we will cover it for faulty products, internationally or domestic. 

If you've not already spoken to their customer service team, I would make a bit of a fuss and ask they cover return postage - especially given the amount spent. Ensure you include the paperwork and clearly mark it as a return and you should avoid any customs fees. If you had to pay any fees such as duty to receive the item, you should be able to reclaim those too.

1 hour ago, lcfcsnow said:

How do I reclaim the customs fees exactly? It was a few months ago and I don’t have the card anymore :mellow:

What is it and what’s the failt? It’s possible it might be cheaper and less hassle to have it repaired here. 

Random question which springs to mind in respect of a heavy topic - does the lady who received payment for the Cristiano Ronaldo allegations have to repay the settlement she received as the NDA is now broken?

Obviously not condoning anything if he did it.

22 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Random question which springs to mind in respect of a heavy topic - does the lady who received payment for the Cristiano Ronaldo allegations have to repay the settlement she received as the NDA is now broken?

Obviously not condoning anything if he did it.

I'd expect Ronaldo could sue for damages and whatnot but I highly doubt he will. Whether the allegations are true or not he'll want it dealt with ASAP as not to damage his "brand". In the end, wtf is even a few hundred thousands to Ronaldo, wouldn't even scratch his bank account. 

42 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I'd expect Ronaldo could sue for damages and whatnot but I highly doubt he will. Whether the allegations are true or not he'll want it dealt with ASAP as not to damage his "brand". In the end, wtf is even a few hundred thousands to Ronaldo, wouldn't even scratch his bank account. 

Yeah I honesty think thats the reason he paid her off in the first place, ie, negate bad publicity and close it off as opposed to actually assaulting her. Problem is that it reflects badly and could be interpreted as an admission of guilt in the eyes of the public.

Edited by Nalis

Is davieG an actual person or an automated robot, all I ever see of his (or it’s) posts are copy and paste sections from other sites, the Belvoir Road incident last night a few topics up, just a very long copy and paste and no actual input from the OP.

Im not so sure it’s a human, robot or alien from outaspace is my guess.

Edited by promised land
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, promised land said:

Is davieG an actual person or an automated robot, all I ever see of his (or it’s) posts are copy and paste sections from other sites, the Belvoir Road incident last night a few topics up, just a very long copy and paste and no actual input from the OP.

There was a point a few months ago when he didn’t post for a while ...     I think he had a flat battery.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, promised land said:

:D

I think @davieG provides a valuable service for those who don’t live in Leicester any more. 

He’s like FTs very own local news reporter who keeps us all updated on local news and issues as they break.

“Mr Leicester” on here :thumbup:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

:D

I think @davieG provides a valuable service for those who don’t live in Leicester any more. 

He’s like FTs very own local news reporter who keeps us all updated on local news and issues as they break.

“Mr Leicester” on here :thumbup:

Also for those who live in Leicestershire but cannot be bothered to trawl through the abomination that is the Mercury website :thumbup:

52 minutes ago, davieG said:

Just to clarify, yes I do post other stuff but I've been on here so long that I don't want to feel like I'm repeating myself so keep my comnents/thoughts to anything new I've got to say .

As for all the other stuff I've always thought that as an Admin I have a duty to try to keep the forum active so look to find stuff people may be interested in that might generate some posts considering I have the time to do so.

You’re not a bot then. :thumbup:

4 hours ago, davieG said:

Just to clarify, yes I do post other stuff but I've been on here so long that I don't want to feel like I'm repeating myself so keep my comnents/thoughts to anything new I've got to say .

As for all the other stuff I've always thought that as an Admin I have a duty to try to keep the forum active so look to find stuff people may be interested in that might generate some posts considering I have the time to do so.

Siri, are you davieG in disguise?