Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Anyone else see this thing about "heart age" today?

Here's the short test: https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/be-healthier/check-your-health/heart-age-test/

Apparently, I have a heart age of 77 (I'm 56) but on average can expect to live to 73 before I have a heart attack or stroke.....how does that work?

My designated heart age is no surprise as I've had atrial fibrillation and my Dad had heart problems under 60 (though he lived to 91).

But, if my heart age is really 77, my heart will have to be pretty invincible to last another 17 years without a heart attack/stroke? :dunno:

Does this mean, to quote Meatloaf, that "the last thing I'll see will be my heart still beating, breaking out of my body and flying away, like a bat out of hell"?

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Anyone else see this thing about "heart age" today?

Here's the short test: https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/be-healthier/check-your-health/heart-age-test/

Apparently, I have a heart age of 77 (I'm 56) but on average can expect to live to 73 before I have a heart attack or stroke.....how does that work?

My designated heart age is no surprise as I've had atrial fibrillation and my Dad had heart problems under 60 (though he lived to 91).

But, if my heart age is really 77, my heart will have to be pretty invincible to last another 17 years without a heart attack/stroke? :dunno:

Does this mean, to quote Meatloaf, that "the last thing I'll see will be my heart still beating, breaking out of my body and flying away, like a bat out of hell"?

Just done it. My heart age is 95, but can expect to live to 78.

Seven years to go!  :blink:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Does anyone else experience minor depressive feelings as the evenings/darkness is slightly becoming longer now, especially when alone? Felt it a bit tonight for no real reason.

Yes, about one in three of us do at some stage in our lives apparently..

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/seasonal-affective-disorder-1-in-3-people-suffer-from-sad-9814164.html

20 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Does anyone else experience minor depressive feelings as the evenings/darkness is slightly becoming longer now, especially when alone? Felt it a bit tonight for no real reason.

Seasonal mood disorder or whatever. 

Something to do with lack of production of melanin owing to the drop in sunlight. At least I'm led to believe as such. 

On 29/08/2018 at 07:39, FoxesDeb said:

The only question I can answer here is whether Vodafone broadband is any good, and in my experience, no. I switched to them and went straight back to BT within the cancellation period. I was under the impression that they used the same cables so I thought the service would be the same, but it was terrible. I'm not exaggerating when I say it would cut out 50 times a day. It was unusable. 

On 29/08/2018 at 08:31, Strokes said:

Vodafone broadband is crap, so is Plusnet. If it’s cheap, it’s because it’s shit.

Didn't bother with Voda, agreed a cheap deal for fibre with existing provider Plusnet.

They ****ed up immediately (yet again). Sent the numpty out to connect us up in the green box and emailed to tell us its been done. Bloody idiots hadn't bothered to send out our router. So now we have no broadband at all.

Do not even consider Plusnet. Don't be fooled by the jolly fat bloke on the adverts - they are an absolute shower of sh*ite.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Didn't bother with Voda, agreed a cheap deal for fibre with existing provider Plusnet.

They ****ed up immediately (yet again). Sent the numpty out to connect us up in the green box and emailed to tell us its been done. Bloody idiots hadn't bothered to send out our router. So now we have no broadband at all.

Do not even consider Plusnet. Don't be fooled by the jolly fat bloke on the adverts - they are an absolute shower of sh*ite.

I have about 3 plusnet routers collecting dust in my garage. If you want you can have.

• Like 1

I can't pass initial verification on anything that requires more than a cursory credit check, this includes opening new bank accounts. Can't check my credit report because the company can't identify me. Still stuck with the one bank account from when I first moved to the UK as a student.

There are probably a multitude of reasons why this is happening:

- Three legal first names, which is not accepted as a format in many places, including my bank.

- No permanent address, moving all over the UK with about 7 different addresses in the last 7 years.

- Have always rented all-inclusive so don't have any bills to my name.

- Use barely £1 on PAYG per month so don't have a mobile phone contract. (not sure i'd even pass the check to get one)

- Haven't bothered to update the electoral roll every time I move.

- Don't drive so don't have a license.

- Never needed any overdrafts, loans etc.

Bloody annoying and I have no idea how to fix it, needs to be done eventually if I am to get a mortgage when I plan to buy in a couple years time. Any ideas?

6 hours ago, brucey said:

I can't pass initial verification on anything that requires more than a cursory credit check, this includes opening new bank accounts. Can't check my credit report because the company can't identify me. Still stuck with the one bank account from when I first moved to the UK as a student.

There are probably a multitude of reasons why this is happening:

- Three legal first names, which is not accepted as a format in many places, including my bank.

- No permanent address, moving all over the UK with about 7 different addresses in the last 7 years.

- Have always rented all-inclusive so don't have any bills to my name.

- Use barely £1 on PAYG per month so don't have a mobile phone contract. (not sure i'd even pass the check to get one)

- Haven't bothered to update the electoral roll every time I move.

- Don't drive so don't have a license.

- Never needed any overdrafts, loans etc.

Bloody annoying and I have no idea how to fix it, needs to be done eventually if I am to get a mortgage when I plan to buy in a couple years time. Any ideas?

I’d start by getting on the electoral roll and speaking to your bank about upgrading your bank account. See if you’re eligible for a credit card from them and try to build as much history as you can ASAP.

• Like 1

On 10/09/2018 at 20:33, Wymeswold fox said:

My wife bought me a SAD lamp - it’s supposed to recreate a more natural light and make people like me less grumpy when the nights draw in. 

She also bought me a natural daylight alarm clock. 

I used the lamp a bit but not sure it made much difference. Don’t use an alarm clock, so haven’t tried the one she got me. 

It’s definitely a thing though, bud. You’re not alone!!

• Like 2