Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

It's amazing how many people think we'll go straight back down, they've probably never seen their own team, let alone ours.

I know. It's quite funny really, all these predictions, because I'd guess 80%/90% of these people will never have seen us play. But I'm confident we'll surprise people, we always have done under the solid guidance of Nigel Pearson.

You can't really argue with people if they think we are going to go down. We are an unknown quantity. I would like a valid reason besides 'it's a lovely place' though!

This. I don't see why people are scoffing at relegation, it's a very real prospect.

This. I don't see why people are scoffing at relegation, it's a very real prospect.

It's not so much that they're tipping us for relegation but it's because of the reasoning (or lack of), there's no fear factor? Come on.

There isn't as much of a fear factor as I wish there was, put it that way.

But that won't be the reason why we're going down though! Who does have have a fear factor besides the top 6? Stoke? West Ham?

It's not so much that they're tipping us for relegation but it's because of the reasoning (or lack of), there's no fear factor? Come on.

I know Merson didn't give a compelling case but it seems some posters get pent up at anyone saying we'll go down no matter what the argument. We're never going to be fancied regardless of how many games we won or points we racked up last season.

• Like 2

I know Merson didn't give a compelling case but it seems some posters get pent up at anyone saying we'll go down no matter what the argument. We're never going to be fancied regardless of how many games we won or points we racked up last season.

Some people do seem to be denying the fact that relegation is a very real prospect but at the same time pundits are passing judgement whilst knowing next to nothing about us and their arguments aren't convincing at all.

If we think dispassionately for a second, who would take Konchesky from us? Who would take DeLaet? Albrighton (who I think is a shrewd signing) has left a Villa side in a seemingly terminal decline, Nugent (somewhat unfairly) is best remembered for a failed big money move to Pompy, Ulloa is seen as over priced, Wasilewski will be a Wasilwho? to anyone outside Leicester, Morgan is seen as a decent 'big' centre back etc

As limited as many outsiders views of us may been seen by fellow city fans, we too have an incredibly limited knowledge of the standard of other Prem sides following our decade out of the top flight. It'll be the speed at which we adapt that'll prove key, the fixtures are kind and cruel in equal measure, the run in seems reasonably benign BUT that means we'll need to be prepared to weather a very very very poor first 2/3 of the season

Not too sure about that. A lot of us watch Premier League football every week, there are tons of live games on. In fact I'd argue we've seen more of them than other championship teams. We've also seen clubs like Hull for example in the championship, and then just a few months later in the Prem (and hold their own, despite most agreeing that they were very average looking in the Champ). So we do have some idea of the comparison between the two leagues.

Of course there are several players that we have that other clubs wouldn't want, but you've not mentioned several that I'd suggest will be a target for premier League teams in the future.

Just as importantly, there are many players who played for teams in last years Premiership and stayed up, who I wouldn't want. Such as most of the Sunderland team (Lee Cattermole, I'm looking at you!). The gulf in class between the bottom half and the promoted teams isn't that vast (generally) and some would argue the promoted teams are often better than several of the perennial bottom 8 sides. This isn't me guessing, this is backed up by the last few seasons of the premiership.

So there's no real excuse for some of these so called pundits, or supposed football fans of premiership clubs. Writing teams off because they just got promoted and you don't really know their players is incredibly naive.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have us as one of the favourites to go down, if I'm honest. Certainly not more than QPR.

Edited by Kitchandro

Pretty fair list if you ask me. Swansea should be lower (that sponsor is FAR too big for them to be that high up) and I don't get how we've managed to be 4 places above burnley given the template is the same (1 or 2 places, maybe, as ours has better trim).

Pretty fair list if you ask me. Swansea should be lower (that sponsor is FAR too big for them to be that high up) and I don't get how we've managed to be 4 places above burnley given the template is the same (1 or 2 places, maybe, as ours has better trim).

Southampton's is average at best, QPR's should be higher but all in all quite fair as you say.

Completely inconsistent in how offensive they find in-your-face sponsor logos.  Villa, Swansea, and Hull should easily be further down based on their initial criteria for other teams.