Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

The damned schedule of this season... the first five matches will be very difficult and we will presumably have a hard time in January and February. 

And the defence against set-pieces and crosses in the air are certainly problems.

I think getting the hard games out the way will make them realise that the premiership is a massive step up from the championship. Most of the squad have no premiership experience.

With the rumours of Esteban Cambassio I reckon Leicester have a likely chance of finishing higher than 17th.

According to the metro they may be offering him 5mil over a 2year contract.

Are you really citing the metro as a source, let alone one that might actually mean anything?

Edited by Haydos

Leonardo Ulloa (Leicester)

The task for a newly-promoted side is always to lure in the sort of quality that can consolidate their position in the league. Leicester's expensive splurge on Leonardo Ulloa can be seen as a real risk, with £7m in all likelihood taking a significant chunk out of their transfer budget. In his 18 months on the South Coast the burly front man certainly became a Brighton fan favourite but at 28, his lack of experience at the very top level is a concern.

He's a hard worker from the front, earning a strength of 'defensive contribution' from WhoScored.com courtesy of 0.9 tackles per game, but his strike rate is certainly not the best. A respectable tally of 14 last season came from 87 shots (16.1% conversion rate) and only two players missed more clear cut chances in the Championship last season (16). Leicester's desire to add to their strike force was understandable given top scorer David Nugent's record at top-flight level but their choice of reinforcement is questionable.

http://www.teamtalk.com/blog/16129/9408733/Reds-WBA-Hull-guilty-of-overspending

To put Ulloa's terrible conversion rate into context:

http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/99k2ovptnemo_ee0q3bufg/Show/Player-Focus-Contrasting-Conversion-Rates-of-the-Premier-Leagues-Top-Strikers

Last week, discussing Cardiff City Charles Reep and Egil Olsen's theory that it takes roughly nine chances to score a goal was highlighted. In the Premier League this season, it’s been taking 9.91: or, to put it another way, 10.03% of all shots go in. Cardiff, as a team, fall short of that average, but what of the strikers at the top sides?  How accurate are they?

2014%2F1%2FTop-7-Clubs.jpg

• Like 1

Think the Guardian article is fair although a smidgen harsh on Albrighton (Pearson likes people with something to prove anyway). It does, for me, highlight out greatest weakness though - depth. I think our strongest 11 is more than capable of a 12-15 finish, but if we get poor luck with injuries then we'll be dragged right into the battle.

Think the Guardian article is fair although a smidgen harsh on Albrighton (Pearson likes people with something to prove anyway). It does, for me, highlight out greatest weakness though - depth. I think our strongest 11 is more than capable of a 12-15 finish, but if we get poor luck with injuries then we'll be dragged right into the battle.

I agree. I do think we could do with 2 or 3 more players, even if they're just backup. We shouldn't expect to be as lucky with injuries and suspensions as we have been.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15205/9409864/paul-mersons-premier-league-season-201415-predictions

Merse: I would go for Burnley, Leicester and West Brom, rather than QPR. Burnley haven’t got any money and it was a miracle how they got up – Sean Dyche should be knighted for going getting promotion on that wage bill – but this is a bridge too far. Leicester is a lovely place and a beautiful ground – I’ve played there – and I just fear teams will turn up and want to play there. There’s no fear factor. As for West Brom, they’ve been hovering around relegation for a few seasons and sooner or later you’re going to go. While Joleon Lescott is a good buy, I don’t think they’ve majorly improved and the manager, Alan Irvine, is a very good coach, but sometimes it doesn’t work when you give a coach the top job. Brian Kidd was one of the best around and he got relegated with Blackburn.

What the ****  lol 

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15205/9409864/paul-mersons-premier-league-season-201415-predictions

Merse: I would go for Burnley, Leicester and West Brom, rather than QPR. Burnley haven’t got any money and it was a miracle how they got up – Sean Dyche should be knighted for going getting promotion on that wage bill – but this is a bridge too far. Leicester is a lovely place and a beautiful ground – I’ve played there – and I just fear teams will turn up and want to play there. There’s no fear factor. As for West Brom, they’ve been hovering around relegation for a few seasons and sooner or later you’re going to go. While Joleon Lescott is a good buy, I don’t think they’ve majorly improved and the manager, Alan Irvine, is a very good coach, but sometimes it doesn’t work when you give a coach the top job. Brian Kidd was one of the best around and he got relegated with Blackburn.

What the ****  lol 

It's like he couldn't think of anything else. I like Merse but at least come up with a decent reason!

• Like 1

It's like he couldn't think of anything else. I like Merse but at least come up with a decent reason!

We've known for a long time that Premier League pundits have a very very limited knowledge of anything outside the Premier League top 6. This knowledge is shown for all of its flaws when they have to talk about anything to do with the football league.

You almost feel sorry for Sky sports pundits compared to BBC because they can't get away with it as easy. Alan Sheared can talk about how poor Lukaku plays against us first game of the season until 20 games in he realised Wes Morgan is a great defender, old merson has a microphone shoved in his face for his opinion in July and comes up with "Leicesters a nice place" lol

• Like 1

We've known for a long time that Premier League pundits have a very very limited knowledge of anything outside the Premier League top 6. This knowledge is shown for all of its flaws when they have to talk about anything to do with the football league.

You almost feel sorry for Sky sports pundits compared to BBC because they can't get away with it as easy. Alan Sheared can talk about how poor Lukaku plays against us first game of the season until 20 games in he realised Wes Morgan is a great defender, old merson has a microphone shoved in his face for his opinion in July and comes up with "Leicesters a nice place" lol

Yeah to be honest for those guys their one and only focus is the premier league so you can't expect them to know too much about our strengths and weaknesses. They aren't exaclty going to sit around and watch videos of last season are they. At least say it might be a struggle with our relatively inexperienced squad.

Yeah to be honest for those guys their one and only focus is the premier league so you can't expect them to know too much about our strengths and weaknesses. They aren't exaclty going to sit around and watch videos of last season are they. At least say it might be a struggle with our relatively inexperienced squad.

I agree that it is they're job to focus on that league so they'll naturally know more about it but it also shows the snobbery of the former pros to only watch top flight football in their spare time too. As a football fan I watch as much televised football as possible, seems these people would turn their noses up at Brentford vs Wolves if it was on their sky box