Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

GTA V

• 3 weeks later...

Is GTA worth buying just for playing online because I can't be arsed to do the campaign?

I'd say so, but only if you have friends to play with, otherwise it can be a little to repetitive. But heists and races are great fun with friends!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a dilemma on this game.  My son is 9 and for some bizarre reason a lot his mates seem to have a copy with the blessing of the parents.

I am dead against him having it due to content i have read about on IMDB but the Mrs is telling me how left out he is feeling and the other parents say it is not full of 18 cert content and this is in later levels.  I actually doubt they have bothered to read up on it.
Would you let a 9 year old have this game?

I have a dilemma on this game.  My son is 9 and for some bizarre reason a lot his mates seem to have a copy with the blessing of the parents.

I am dead against him having it due to content i have read about on IMDB but the Mrs is telling me how left out he is feeling and the other parents say it is not full of 18 cert content and this is in later levels.  I actually doubt they have bothered to read up on it.

Depends what kind of films etc you would let them watch

Unlike some other games, you generally aren't rewarded/tasked with killing innocent people, however there is no real punishment (apart from a wanted level, which can be escaped). 

As you'd expect, the dialogue is brimming with adult content, you play a third of the game as a drug-addled nutcase who on occasion, eats human stew (promptly throws it back up again), and can be seen with his nob out. There's also strip clubs (tits, no fanny). Characters can be seen taking drugs from time to time

It's violent, but it's not as bad as some games - from what I can remember, bodies always remain in tact (no disfigurement/beheading seen). There is however a pretty graphic torture scene in one of the missions - again, nothing too over-the-top violent but it's a bit more disturbing than the rest of the violence in the rest of the game.

It's so weird though, as you might find your son spends a lot of the time taking part in triathlons, playing the stock market or other wholesome activities like taking photos of wildlife or skydiving. There's so much to the game, it's not all about caving prostitute's heads in

If you're unsure, I'd strongly recommend you play the game yourself first. Just for an hour or two - you'll get a feel for how slapstick you deem it and that might sway your opinion. The violence is there from the start, and it doesn't really escalate

I'd be in two minds about letting a 9 year old play it - like you say they don't want to be the only kid not playing it, but my guess is a lot of their friends might just be making up the fact that they play it to fit in

Actually, nuts to that. If your kid wants to see what's happening in he game there's videos all over the internet and his friends have the game so no doubt he'll already be accustomed to it. Let him play the game, and if he repeats any of the colourful language etc smash his console to pieces and tell him he can only play games again when he gets a job and buys a new console. Job done.

That is utter bollocks lol if GTA V aint a cert 18 game I dunno what is.

If he was just playing online, I'd probably be incline to get a copy as the story is the issue.

But as far as the story is concerned we are talking wanton bad language scenes of a sexual nature, a scene in which you have to graphically torture someone to get information out of them (pulling teeth, hammering knee caps, electrics) a heavy plot line to do with mass sales of Crystal Meth, I wouldn't particularly want my kids seeing it at 9 but unfortunately a lot of parents tolerate it and so you are left with this problem that they feel left out.....If I were you I'd try and get him a different game to make up for it. Guessing that's probably not an idea he's too open too though.

lol Its 18 year old content from the get go. The way i see it. Your sons friends are only going to be talking about it at school anyway and if he goes round their houses will play it there anyway. I played violent games from a young age and didnt make me go around being violent. You know yourself if your son is mature enough. Does he already show violent behaviour? If he is generally a chilled out lad then i would let him play.

Its not all violence either. You can play golf, Tennis, do marathons, cycling etc. Its a massive game.

By not allowing him to have the game will only make him go and play it elsewhere anyway. I think the main issue is the swearing. Maybe let your son have the game but if he starts swearing instantly take it away.

Whether he plays the game or not he will still know what happens in the game through his friends. He will still be aware of the violence/swearing/drugs etc. So he might aswel play it.

I say all this but when my son turns 9 and asks for GTA 6 i will prob say no lol

That is utter bollocks lol if GTA V aint a cert 18 game I dunno what is.

If he was just playing online, I'd probably be incline to get a copy as the story is the issue.

But as far as the story is concerned we are talking wanton bad language scenes of a sexual nature, a scene in which you have to graphically torture someone to get information out of them (pulling teeth, hammering knee caps, electrics) a heavy plot line to do with mass sales of Crystal Meth, I wouldn't particularly want my kids seeing it at 9 but unfortunately a lot of parents tolerate it and so you are left with this problem that they feel left out.....If I were you I'd try and get him a different game to make up for it. Guessing that's probably not an idea he's too open too though.

This is probably the most 18 rated game I have ever played far more heavier than the other GTA's. You have bent FBI, psychopath Trevor who makes Joe Pesci in goodfellas look sane, strip clubs, heavy on drugs and torture. It is explicit in violence, sex and drugs. I wouldn't let a 9 year old play this game

I would let him have it to be fair I think a lot of us have played gory/viloent type games from young ages, however I can remember my dad not allowing me to play King Pin on the PC due to the content but I eventually made him let me play it.

I think it depends if your kid is the viloent/angry type or a normal kid.

I used to love playing Max Payne when I was like 10 and that hasn't effected me in anyway and that was pretty screwed up.

I would let him have it to be fair I think a lot of us have played gory/viloent type games from young ages, however I can remember my dad not allowing me to play King Pin on the PC due to the content but I eventually made him let me play it.

I think it depends if your kid is the viloent/angry type or a normal kid.

I used to love playing Max Payne when I was like 10 and that hasn't effected me in anyway and that was pretty screwed up.

Wow King Pin what a game that was.

Walking round with crow bars smashing peoples heads in was always fun

Thanks all. Really valuable inputs. To answer a question posed by a few of you. He is in no way violent and knows his boundaries. At the match he isn't allowed to swear when singing and replaces those words with alternatives. No worries about him startin on the meth etc but from a moral standpoint should I allow him to be exposed to it. It's actually harder to convince the wife he shouldn't as she is unaware of any kids ability to access levels within games. She thinks it's just driving cars... Despite what I have shown her

Thanks all. Really valuable inputs. To answer a question posed by a few of you. He is in no way violent and knows his boundaries. At the match he isn't allowed to swear when singing and replaces those words with alternatives. No worries about him startin on the meth etc but from a moral standpoint should I allow him to be exposed to it. It's actually harder to convince the wife he shouldn't as she is unaware of any kids ability to access levels within games. She thinks it's just driving cars... Despite what I have shown her

If your taking him down Leicester probably fair to say bad language isn't going to be an issue. To be honest if he was just a few years older I'd be more inclined to recommend it I know I was playing the likes the original GTA (obviously a lot more implied adult content that the more up to date ones) Quake Doom Carmaggedon etc from about the age of 12-13 just 9 is really quite young. I remember seeing Terminator 2 at about that age and seeing heavy content at that age does make an impression on you.

That said the game is very slapstick and doesn't take itself very seriously so perhaps it would have less of an effect. I'd undoubtedly tell you it'd be fine if I didn't have a son and am able to put myself in your shoe's lol the idea does make me feel very

First of all let me state that I don't believe there's any way violent content in video games can change someone's pre-disposition to violent real-world behaviour.  The only thing to really worry about is whether there's content that would cause distress.  The torture scene aside (and that one's thickly interspersed with dark humour, though I'm not sure a child his age would pick up on it), I'm not sure there is anything in there that would scar a child, I'd possibly include the missions where you smoke a joint and then start seeing aliens, after all even relatively tame looking monsters can actually be quite scary to small children.  But like others have said, if it's a case of social gaming with friends then he'll never encounter these anyway so he's not likely to be exposed to anything more gratuitous than he's likely to find randomly exploring the internet.

First of all let me state that I don't believe there's any way violent content in video games can change someone's pre-disposition to violent real-world behaviour. The only thing to really worry about is whether there's content that would cause distress. The torture scene aside (and that one's thickly interspersed with dark humour, though I'm not sure a child his age would pick up on it), I'm not sure there is anything in there that would scar a child, I'd possibly include the missions where you smoke a joint and then start seeing aliens, after all even relatively tame looking monsters can actually be quite scary to small children. But like others have said, if it's a case of social gaming with friends then he'll never encounter these anyway so he's not likely to be exposed to anything more gratuitous than he's likely to find randomly exploring the internet.

If the kid was 12-13 I would agree... he is 9 not even out of primary school yet. The game itself is fine bar the two things you mentioned but it is more the cut scenes and story that is very heavy... Especially the Trevor scenes in particular... it is far heavier than any game I have played, although I haven't playing manhunter or kingpin.

Archived