Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

GTA V

If the kid was 12-13 I would agree... he is 9 not even out of primary school yet. The game itself is fine bar the two things you mentioned but it is more the cut scenes and story that is very heavy... Especially the Trevor scenes in particular... it is far heavier than any game I have played, although I haven't playing manhunter or kingpin.

The kid probably wouldn't even understand the concept of what a joint is or does anyhow, he probably just think its a ciggie and next minute you know he is smashing up some aliens and probably forgot about what happened previous.

If the kid was 12-13 I would agree... he is 9 not even out of primary school yet. The game itself is fine bar the two things you mentioned but it is more the cut scenes and story that is very heavy... Especially the Trevor scenes in particular... it is far heavier than any game I have played, although I haven't playing manhunter or kingpin.

I dunno, there's a lot of toilet humour which a child would find funny in the Trevor scenes.  Granted there's also a lot of violent jokes which a child his age probably wouldn't see as a joke but as an example of this funny drunk guy's badassery.  All the sexual references, while no doubt incredibly uncomfortable to watch through with a child, would surely go straight over the head of someone so young.   A lot of the cutscenes I would say you can chalk up to being the kind of thing he'll not even clock, yet playing the game later on in life he'll think "holy shit I can't believe I played this as a kid", good examples of which from my life being the Mafia game storyline and the Scary Movie franchise.  So much stuff that went over my head or that I thought was 'cool' instead of disturbing, yet it never negatively affected my personality.

Anyway, in short my answer to the original question is:  Don't let him play through the storyline but let him join his friends on the online game, if indeed that is what 9 year-olds are playing these days which seems odd to me.

That said I've just looked up when Mafia and Scary Movie came out and I'd have been 13 and 11 respectively so maybe I was just a bit of a clueless kid. lol 

I dunno, there's a lot of toilet humour which a child would find funny in the Trevor scenes.  Granted there's also a lot of violent jokes which a child his age probably wouldn't see as a joke but as an example of this funny drunk guy's badassery.  All the sexual references, while no doubt incredibly uncomfortable to watch through with a child, would surely go straight over the head of someone so young.   A lot of the cutscenes I would say you can chalk up to being the kind of thing he'll not even clock, yet playing the game later on in life he'll think "holy shit I can't believe I played this as a kid", good examples of which from my life being the Mafia game storyline and the Scary Movie franchise.  So much stuff that went over my head or that I thought was 'cool' instead of disturbing, yet it never negatively affected my personality.

Anyway, in short my answer to the original question is:  Don't let him play through the storyline but let him join his friends on the online game, if indeed that is what 9 year-olds are playing these days which seems odd to me.

That said I've just looked up when Mafia and Scary Movie came out and I'd have been 13 and 11 respectively so maybe I was just a bit of a clueless kid. lol

This is my point

I think 11-13, probably still not ideal but you've got to sort of appreciate that kids aren't going to avoid stuff with adult content until they are 18 years old, just not pratical.

9 is still very young.

Good point, but I remember playing Mortal Kombat 2 when I was 8 which was thoroughly violent and as it used digitised photos in a weird way it actually looked more lifelike than the violence in newer games. I just thought it was cool rather than scary - 20 years on, I've still not gutted anyone.

I'd say Manhunt is definitely a more violent game. The first thing you have to do is get a plastic bag and suffocate a victim with it. Nearly all of the necessary violence in GTA is between the characters you control and thugs/lowlives/gangsters (violent people). There are missions where you can opt to take an approach which negates violence altogether

Thanks all. Really valuable inputs. To answer a question posed by a few of you. He is in no way violent and knows his boundaries. At the match he isn't allowed to swear when singing and replaces those words with alternatives. No worries about him startin on the meth etc but from a moral standpoint should I allow him to be exposed to it. It's actually harder to convince the wife he shouldn't as she is unaware of any kids ability to access levels within games. She thinks it's just driving cars... Despite what I have shown her

If your son isn't violent and doesn't have any sort of behavioural difficulties, I'd be inclined to let him play it. Chances are he's already played/seen it and I really don't think it'd have any affect on him. I also don't think playing games affects a person's disposition - the most harm done will likely be possibly learning new swear words, and him maybe asking you if taking drugs makes you see funny aliens. 

Might actually make him a better person - a few instances in the game you'll come across someone who has had their bag/bicycle snatched. By retrieving it and handing it back to the victim you get rewarded

In any case I can't see a 9 year old getting that far through the storyline anyway.  I had to rage quit Mafia at the fvcking car park mission and return to it a couple of years later when I was better at video games and as I mentioned earlier I would have been 13 then.

In any case I can't see a 9 year old getting that far through the storyline anyway.  I had to rage quit Mafia at the fvcking car park mission and return to it a couple of years later when I was better at video games and as I mentioned earlier I would have been 13 then.

I don't know about that - can't remember anything about the GTA V story missions being particularly difficult, and it was so gripping I just wanted to keep playing it. However yeah I imagine playing online is what the kids do most - customise cars and all that shit

If he only plays free mode and not the story he'll be okay in my opinion. The story is phenomenal but contains elements that I myself was not comfortable with, particularly surrounding Trevor, who is needlessly violent and abusive (which may or may not affect your child depending on if you're an hysteric woman who frequents american daytime shows). If you play the free mode and consider it an urban simulator, then it could be okay for him to play, apart from the strip club maybe. In the free mode the game does not encourage violence towards pedestrians, cops or hookers.... but gives you the freedom to do so if you desire. Also, as others have mentioned, he will probably find a way to play\view the content any least this way you can control it. If he plays it and runs over some prozzies that doesn't mean he's gonna grow up to be a murderer... its what any boy that age would do. However there are some story elements that I personally would shield my son from. But then again who am i to tell you how to raise your child? Play the game, use your judgement :) 

as long as you as a parent let him know that gta is a game and real life is real life i dont see the issue. he's a kid sure but he's not a complete idiot. i played gta/cod/bully/true crime (what a game) from the age of like 10 and it was always pretty obvious that in the game it was funny to get a machine gun out and blow up people then run away but that was not ok in real life. 

the only thing id be concerned about is that it does make out prostitutes/strip joints/drugs are sort of cool and he might think it'd be cool to do some of those things, but he's 9, you've got bigger issues than gta if he genuinely goes out and starts buying whores off the street. 

I don't know about that - can't remember anything about the GTA V story missions being particularly difficult, and it was so gripping I just wanted to keep playing it. However yeah I imagine playing online is what the kids do most - customise cars and all that shit

No but try to imagine you're playing with the coordination, combat instincts, and reactions of a 9 year-old.  The AI's basically like playing against your older brother who always wins at that age, surely.

as long as you as a parent let him know that gta is a game and real life is real life i dont see the issue. he's a kid sure but he's not a complete idiot. i played gta/cod/bully/true crime (what a game) from the age of like 10 and it was always pretty obvious that in the game it was funny to get a machine gun out and blow up people then run away but that was not ok in real life.

the only thing id be concerned about is that it does make out prostitutes/strip joints/drugs are sort of cool and he might think it'd be cool to do some of those things, but he's 9, you've got bigger issues than gta if he genuinely goes out and starts buying whores off the street.

Exactly, it isn't the violence that worries me kids games are even violent these days lol it is how it glorifies the things you mentioned... I think he probably isn't going to be playing through the story so it shouldn't be an issue like others have said.

Exactly, it isn't the violence that worries me kids games are even violent these days lol it is how it glorifies the things you mentioned... I think he probably isn't going to be playing through the story so it shouldn't be an issue like others have said.

yeah they are "glorified" but like i said, he's 9 years old, realistically even if he thought they were the coolest things in the world and he was intent on doing them no matter what it's basically impossible for him to do so for at least 5 years, probably more.

even the baddest of 9 year olds isn't going to ring up a drug dealer and arrange a drop off, or use some fake id to get into a brothel, so they will all just have to remain a fantasy of the game, which is where they'll stay. 

No but try to imagine you're playing with the coordination, combat instincts, and reactions of a 9 year-old.  The AI's basically like playing against your older brother who always wins at that age, surely.

I sort of know what you mean... I started gaming at 4 with a Sega Master System and wouldn't often be allowed new games so I'd play them thoroughly and was fairly skilled at gaming from a young age. Me and my older brother played Street Fighter 2 all the time when he got a SNES and it was always a close fight! If anything the reactions are probably sharper in a 9 year old - whenever I used to get pasted playing COD it was usually a stupid kid who was running rampant

Huh, maybe I just came to the shoot at people with guns games a bit late then, I only got relatively decent at Counter Strike for instance once I hit 15.

Doom at 7, Quake at 10! I was 11 when GTA1 came out and been a huge fan of the series ever since. I was actually pissed off when I found out GTA III had gone 3D, didn't think it would work but the top-down originals is so far back in time now, III was a massive step forward in gaming

Doom at 7, Quake at 10! I was 11 when GTA1 came out and been a huge fan of the series ever since. I was actually pissed off when I found out GTA III had gone 3D, didn't think it would work but the top-down originals is so far back in time now, III was a massive step forward in gaming

Booting up Vice City for the first time was pretty special in the series.

I played games like GTA when I was younger and it did'nt make me go into the streets and steal cars, run people over and shoot them. I personally think people over react, my son is 12 and he plays GTA, hes a good lad who gets his head down at school, does his homework and he is very polite to people, I couldnt ask for a more all round child. 

I personally think its good for kids to watch violent films and watch all the crap that goes off in the world, it makes them more street wise instead of wrapping them up in cotton wool and being oblivious to whats going on. 

the train mission on san andreas took me an absolute age

the train mission on san andreas took me an absolute age

For me it was the Zero RC mission where you had to take out the planes with a gattling gun. That was ridiculous. So much harder than the other missions (I imagine with a PC mouse it would have been a doddle)

For those who wanted to 100% the game, a couple of the driving and flight school Gold requirements were absurd. Managed it all in the end though

Archived