Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Loving This Country,a recommendation from someone on the this thread, Kerry’s unseen Mum is brilliant “snuffling for slops” one of my favourite lines lol 

This Country is one of the best comedies of recent times. 

I seen a lot of BBC3 trailers on social media so decided to give it a watch and instantly loved it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Loving This Country,a recommendation from someone on the this thread, Kerry’s unseen Mum is brilliant “snuffling for slops” one of my favourite lines lol 

lol that episode is the first one that did me. Double dinners.

• Haha 1

This Country is fantastic. I watched the first episode ages ago and wrote it off because I thought it borrowed too much off the Office but got back into it and it just gets funnier and funnier

"I don't smoke I vape"

"I went to this vaping exhibition at the NEC with Kerry and there was 10,000 of us all just vaping"

"Here, I was on the bus the other day and the driver pulled up and says to me 'no smoking' I said 'it's not smoke it's vaping'"

And then later Kerry points out he doesn't vape or smoke I pissed myself

• Like 1

Guest MattP
13 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Should have pulled the flush lol

Probably my favourite show on TV at the minute, the characters are brilliant, the Vicar's son needs to come back for another appearance.

"Mum!"

"What?!"

"What's in a BLT?"

"Well.... you've got yer bacon"

"Yeah"

"And... your lettuce"

"Yeah"

"And you can have onions in it if you want!"

"What else do you have?"

"Well some people like to have chicken instead of the bacon, see"

"But what's the 'T' stand for?"

"T? Well the T's for toMAAHto!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/04/2018 at 01:03, Wookie said:

I thought Manhunt Unabomber was decent but not outstanding, 6.5 out of 10. Shevchenko was good though.

I'd have given it an 8 but each to their own. Mindhunter I watched the 10 episodes in 1 sitting. Very good series. Any recommendations similar to those 2 on Netflix?

4 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Completely baffled by Marcella, literally the killer could be anyone from half a dozen people.

Nice to see Nigel Planer and Keith Allen working together again.

The Marcella season is getting worse by the episode. I'll watch the final episode next week but I don't think I'll bother with a third season if it's made. I need an internal logic to series in order to enjoy them - that doesn't mean that they have to be realistic or even possible, they don't have to follow our "real" world logic but they have to have their own logic system. Coincidences are possible but when a series continually relies on a numerous coincidencies in order to justify a storyline I turn off. Marcella has become that for me.

Other series I've been watching recently:

Season 3 The detectorists - This series is simply fantastic. The humour is low key, quiet and yet outstanding. I'll be sad to get to the end of it.

Season 1 Hap and Leonard - my wife and I enjoy the acting of James Purefoy so decided to give this a go, we're only 4 episodes into the first season but a couple of those were really funny, I'm hoping it keeps this level of entertainment going.

Season 2 The Frankenstein Chronicles - this certainly has it's own logic system but at least it is remaining within it. Not as good as the first season but watchable (though my wife may not think so).

Brittannia Season 1 - My wife couldn't stand it but I've kept it on the backburner for when she's not around as I may come back to it. Interesting in parts but some poor acting lets it down.

The Alienist season 1 - terrible acting, boring script, given up after 2 episodes (though my wife would have continued).

Narcos finished 3rd season - maybe not as informative as the first 2 but worth watching nonetheless.

Season 4 Shetland - finished and enjoyed.

Homeland Season 7 - good but not as good as season 6.

Stargate Origins - what a load of shit - terrible acting, terrible storyline diasater for those of us who enjoyed stargate and stargate atlantis.

Have the Oath and the Terror on my possibles list - has anyone started watching them and have feedback for me to consider? 

2 hours ago, FIF said:

The Marcella season is getting worse by the episode. I'll watch the final episode next week but I don't think I'll bother with a third season if it's made. I need an internal logic to series in order to enjoy them - that doesn't mean that they have to be realistic or even possible, they don't have to follow our "real" world logic but they have to have their own logic system. Coincidences are possible but when a series continually relies on a numerous coincidencies in order to justify a storyline I turn off. Marcella has become that for me.

Other series I've been watching recently:

Season 3 The detectorists - This series is simply fantastic. The humour is low key, quiet and yet outstanding. I'll be sad to get to the end of it.

Season 1 Hap and Leonard - my wife and I enjoy the acting of James Purefoy so decided to give this a go, we're only 4 episodes into the first season but a couple of those were really funny, I'm hoping it keeps this level of entertainment going.

Season 2 The Frankenstein Chronicles - this certainly has it's own logic system but at least it is remaining within it. Not as good as the first season but watchable (though my wife may not think so).

Brittannia Season 1 - My wife couldn't stand it but I've kept it on the backburner for when she's not around as I may come back to it. Interesting in parts but some poor acting lets it down.

The Alienist season 1 - terrible acting, boring script, given up after 2 episodes (though my wife would have continued).

Narcos finished 3rd season - maybe not as informative as the first 2 but worth watching nonetheless.

Season 4 Shetland - finished and enjoyed.

Homeland Season 7 - good but not as good as season 6.

Stargate Origins - what a load of shit - terrible acting, terrible storyline diasater for those of us who enjoyed stargate and stargate atlantis.

Have the Oath and the Terror on my possibles list - has anyone started watching them and have feedback for me to consider? 

Loved narcos, season 3 was ok but not a patch on the other 2. 

I was a die hard stargate fan and loved the original show and the Atlantis spin off. Stargate Universe was rubbish and boring. Not yet tried the new one. 

For something different you should try altered carbon. I posted about it a few weeks ago. I think you would enjoy the storyline if you like futuristic stuff. I personally loved it. 

On 06/04/2018 at 12:27, FIF said:

I need an internal logic to series in order to enjoy them - that doesn't mean that they have to be realistic or even possible, they don't have to follow our "real" world logic but they have to have their own logic system.

I think I know what you mean - I call it 'being true to itself'. 

I think a good program/film has its own context and agenda and stays within that. It doesn't go outside of the aims it sets itself. It doesn't matter what that context/agenda is - it can be as far fetched as it likes, and it's not a matter of genre. Tthe important thing is that it knows what it is and stays within its own remit. So, yes, an internal logic.  

To me, a program/film is dead as soon as it loses its own way,  once it doesn't know where its going nor why. In fairness, I think it's difficult for any TV series to maintain that, whilst at the same time keeping a freshness (not least for its makers/actors), for any great length of time. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 12:27, FIF said:

The Marcella season is getting worse by the episode. I'll watch the final episode next week but I don't think I'll bother with a third season if it's made.

Watched it last night ...  what a load of sh1te !! ...    was actually bored half way through and the bit where she goes off the rails and cuts her chops open with the scissors ..   jeez !!! ...    then a bloke wanders up and says "Hey, we are thinking of making a third series"  (sorry "we could use a dead person") ...   utter bolox !!!!

Edited by Countryfox
  • Like 1