Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Leicester City cut losses on Matt Mills as defender completes move to Bolton

Leicester City have cut their losses on defender Matt Mills, who has finally completed his move to Bolton.

The 25-year-old defender has joined the Trotters on a three-year contract after finalising the details of his transfer yesterday.

• 3934711.png
    Leicester City have cut their losses on defender Matt Mills

Mills had agreed personal terms and passed his medical, but the move was held up over a financial clause in the deal between the player and City, but a compromise has been reached.

The deal, which should be officially announced today, was believed to have been an initial loan with a view to a permanent transfer, but the Mercury understands it is a permanent switch.

The fee is undisclosed but the Mercury understands it is significantly less than the sum City paid for the central defender last year, when he joined from Reading in a deal which was potentially worth close to £5million, a club record for a defender.

It is possibly even less than the £2m that the deal was originally said to be worth.

The move brings to an end a frustrating year for Mills, who began the season as City captain under Sven-Goran Eriksson but did not feature in Nigel Pearson's first team after the 3-2 defeat at Watford in February.

Mills was not even training with the first team at the end of the campaign.

Lee Peltier also looks set to leave the King Power Stadium in the next 48 hours to join Neil Warnock at Leeds in a deal worth £350,000.

Pearson will now look to bolster his defence, and Hull's James Chester is believed to be a target.

However, new Hull boss Steve Bruce said he had received no contact from Pearson, and added that, while there had been some interest in his players, they had not received any bids.

City are also keen on Hull midfielder Robert Koren, but reports that a £500,000 bid had been submitted last week for the Slovenian appear wide of the mark.

"I've not spoken with Nigel and I would have thought if there's anything at all, he'd call me," said Bruce.

"I've seen it myself, all the speculation in the papers and on the TV, but I've had no contact with Nigel, who's someone I've known for a long time.

"If he's got interest in any of my players, I would think he'd come to me.

"We've had four or five enquiries I'm told, but no bids.

"The one thing I don't want to do is lose my better players.

:wave: bye

At last.

Let that be an end to it.

Will be interesting to see him return in a Bolton shirt. He is bound to throw a sicky mind you!?

I'm sure he can't play against us this season, Isn't it loan rules

Seems in that picture he has failed to make a defensive clearance, typical Mills.

Best news we could hope for this summer, no more rants about this pathetic t**t of a footballer.

Good riddance to bad overpriced and overrated rubbish.

Seems in that picture he has failed to make a defensive clearance, typical Mills.

Best news we could hope for this summer, no more rants about this pathetic t**t of a footballer.

Good riddance to bad overpriced and overrated rubbish.

I think it's the first time ever, but I actually agree with you. I think this could be the deal of the summer, even though we are, inevitably, making a loss. This could pave the way for 1 or 2 good signings.

A disappointing episode all round. A wasted year, a waste of money and we've sold a player to our rivals at a bargain price.

Couldn't agree more..

Utter shambles.

But I'm glad he's gone cos he could have just sat out his contract here.

It would appear that any previous 'loan' arrangement has now been superceded by a permanent deal.

Now he's gone, he's gone. Personally, I couldn't care less. He never recovered from the nightmare he had when we lost at home to Reading at the beginning of last season.

AND to be fair to the Reading fans, they did tell us that we'd bought a 'pig in a poke' - which at the time seemed to be just sour grapes - but they have had the last laugh with 5 million from us at the start of the season and promotion at the end of it!

They didn't need Mills and neither do we! Move on! (though it will be interesting to see how many red cards he gets with Bolton!)

Archived