Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Twitter Thread Numero Who Cares!

Beckford's goal record was poor in the league last year but let's not forget a few things:

• He made his debut in September
  • He was on the bench for a lengthy period of time
  • Whilst he didn't score many in the league, he bagged 6 goals in the FA Cup (4 against Forest & Chelsea)
  • Towards the end of the season he looked a different player to the Beckford we had seen at the start

He won't set the league alight next year, but I have every confidence he will score a good enough amount of goals, provided he is in the team regularly.

Beckford's goal record was poor in the league last year but let's not forget a few things:

• He made his debut in September
  • He was on the bench for a lengthy period of
    time
  • Whilst he didn't score many in the league, he
    bagged 6 goals in the FA Cup (4 against Forest & Chelsea)
  • Towards the end of the season he looked a different player to the Beckford we had seen at
    the start

He won't set the league alight next year, but I have every confidence he will score a good

enough amount of goals, provided he is in the team regularly.

Can't dispute a couple of those points but:

1) The reason he was on the bench was that he was playing awfully. So to use that as an excuse for him not scoring goals is nonsensical - he wasn't even good enough to get in the team.

2) Despite starting regularly (maybe even all) in the last 9 games of the season, Beckford scored once. He was also substituted twice at half time during that period. He had returned to form closer to that of his first four months than that of his six-eight week purple patch.

Oh, and to those giving Mark w a hard time about wages.

Our club is running an unsustainable business model. For the future of the club, our big earners must start justifying their wages otherwise we may not have a club left to support.

This is something we should all care about.

Appreciate the point that others have underperformed, but the fact that Beckford seems to be revered as the second coming by half the board astonishes me.

Our club is running an unsustainable business model. For the future of the club, our big earners must start justifying their wages otherwise we may not have a club left to support.

Appreciate the point that others have underperformed, but the fact that Beckford seems to be revered as the second coming by half the board astonishes me.

At some point we have to trust that the people running the club know what they are doing and if you think they don't and are, as you claim, running an unsustainable business model maybe we should all be protesting about the further spending we have seen over the summer.

Why people get a players wages thrown at them when they show support for one of our players is beyond me. I hope that if we fail to get promotion and Knockaert, for example, has a really good season he shows a bit more loyalty and patience towards us than we do to our players. If he says we are not good enough for him after one year I would be very disappointed.

No, our players must start justifying their place in the team, not their wages, and that applies to all of them, whatever they happen to earn.

The wage they get is what the club were happy enough to pay them, and how much stick they take shouldn`t be based on their wage, but performance, and while Beckford under performed last season, there were plenty of others who also under performed, but who seem to get next to no criticism at all.

No, our players must start justifying their place in the team, not their wages, and that applies to all of them, whatever they happen to earn.

The wage they get is what the club were happy enough to pay them, and how much stick they take shouldn`t be based on their wage, but performance, and while Beckford under performed last season, there were plenty of others who also under performed, but who seem to get next to no criticism at all.

good post

At some point we have to trust that the people running the club know what they are doing and if you think they don't and are, as you claim, running an unsustainable business model maybe we should all be protesting about the further spending we have seen over the summer.

Why people get a players wages thrown at them when they show support for one of our players is beyond me. I hope that if we fail to get promotion and Knockaert, for example, has a really good season he shows a bit more loyalty and patience towards us than we do to our players. If he says we are not good enough for him after one year I would be very disappointed.

It's people trying to justify Beckford being our highest earner because they think he'll get 20 goals next season that annoys me, not people praising him because he has done nothing to prove it. I myself praised his performance against Sunderland so I can't be accused of that, but I just think that we need to be sensible, we're not rich, we're dependent on the owners who have loaned us the money. If they pull out and we still have players on those kind of wages we will be in the shit. Praise him all you like that doesn't really bother me, but suggest he's our best player, or he will get twenty goals next year, or that he is worth the ludicrous money he is on and I will have a problem with that because last season he was nothing but average. I'm not saying Beckford is a bad player, I just don't think he's one worth £25,000-£30,000 a week because if the owners leave (They have no real allegiance to the club, there is every possibility they could) then we couldn't support that and we'll have a player who there is every chance will not want to leave because he knows this is where he will earn the most money. I don't think he's a bad player at all, I think he's an average striker at this level earning an amount a lot higher than he really deserves. Best case scenario he takes a wage cut and we keep him earning a more sensible wage, but that isn't going to happen and there is no reason he should accept one. As a result of that I would like us to move him on, and as for you suggesting some players who performed badly last year avoid critisism you are dead wrong, King, Gallagher, Wellens get no end of shit (and on a much more sensible wage one would imagine) yet I'm one of the few who sticks up for them, and as a player I don't think Beckford is bad, just that he earns to much for what he is. Beckford probably gets the most support from people on here (and at the stadium in fact) of those who underperformed last year so don't try and suggest otherwise. Countless posters slate Wellens/King/Gallagher for arguably poor seasons, yet one or two who do similar with Beckford (And not to the extent of booing him/groaning during a pre-season friendly like Gallagher got) get all the shit, fair that is. :dry:

The wage they get is what the club were happy enough to pay them, and how much stick they take shouldn`t be based on their wage, but

performance, and while Beckford under performed last season, there were plenty of

others who also under performed, but who seem to get next to no criticism at all.

I completely agree that players should be primarily be judged on their performances, not their wages.

But to completely disregard the fact that we don't have unlimited funds to splash on under-performing players is just burying your head in the sand.

Even assuming the Thais are prepared to put up with continued failure, would it not be better to spend the apparently large pot of money

available to us on players who justify their pay?

We must not be complacent about this. Wasted money is wasted money, no matter how much of it you have.

It's people trying to justify Beckford being our highest earner because they think he'll get 20 goals next season that annoys me, not people praising him because he has done nothing to prove it. I myself praised his performance against Sunderland so I can't be accused of that, but I just think that we need to be sensible, we're not rich, we're dependent on the owners who have loaned us the money. If they pull out and we still have players on those kind of wages we will be in the shit. Praise him all you like that doesn't really bother me, but suggest he's our best player, or he will get twenty goals next year, or that he is worth the ludicrous money he is on and I will have a problem with that because last season he was nothing but average. I'm not saying Beckford is a bad player, I just don't think he's one worth £25,000-£30,000 a week because if the owners leave (They have no real allegiance to the club, there is every possibility they could) then we couldn't support that and we'll have a player who there is every chance will not want to leave because he knows this is where he will earn the most money. I don't think he's a bad player at all, I think he's an average striker at this level earning an amount a lot higher than he really deserves. Best case scenario he takes a wage cut and we keep him earning a more sensible wage, but that isn't going to happen and there is no reason he should accept one. As a result of that I would like us to move him on, and as for you suggesting some players who performed badly last year avoid critisism you are dead wrong, King, Gallagher, Wellens get no end of shit (and on a much more sensible wage one would imagine) yet I'm one of the few who sticks up for them, and as a player I don't think Beckford is bad, just that he earns to much for what he is. Beckford probably gets the most support from people on here (and at the stadium in fact) of those who performed last year so don't try and suggest otherwise. Countless posters slate Wellens/King/Gallagher for arguably poor seasons, yet one or two who do similar with Beckford (And not to the extent of booing him/groaning during a pre-season friendly like Gallagher got) get all the shit, fair that is. :dry:

Just to point out that I didn't say any of those things as you replied to us both in the same paragraph.

The only player whose wage gets mentioned is Beckford, at least that I have seen. If we are in such a mess financially then perhaps looking at all the players wages and determining value for money would be prudent. Or perhaps we should let Pearson and the club make those decisions and decide if a player in his squad is worth the money he earns.

I agree

Just to point out that I didn't say any of those things as you replied to us both in the same paragraph.

The only player whose wage gets mentioned is Beckford, at least that I have seen. If we are in such a mess financially then perhaps looking at all the players wages and determining value for money would be prudent. Or perhaps we should let Pearson and the club make those decisions and decide if a player in his squad is worth the money he earns.

Beckford's wages are really the only ones that have somewhat become public knowledge, I'm pretty sure ITK's have clarified that he is our highest earner and on around £25,000-£30,000 a week (I'm pretty sure they have anyway), no one really knows enough about other players wages to discuss it.

Beckford's wages are really the only ones that have somewhat become public knowledge, I'm pretty sure ITK's have clarified that he is our highest earner and on around £25,000-£30,000 a week (I'm pretty sure they have anyway), no one really knows enough about other players wages to discuss it.

I agree

I agree

Here is what was said about Beckford's wages, I guess it comes down to if you trust Bert, but if he's right then those wages just can't be supported in the Championship, especially on a 28 year old who has been so far above League One nothing but average in my honest opinion. That's doesn't mean I think he's a bad player just not worth the money is on and so should be let go, is that not fair enough?

I really don't think he's worth his £25k a week (or thereabouts). Maybe he'll do a lot better playing alongside a target man like Futacs, but that would mean dropping Nugent, which wouldn't be a good idea. For the money he's on, he has to start, and I don't think he's good enough to be guaranteed a place in the team every match. I honestly don't think he's much better than Waghorn, and freeing up JB's wages would allow us to really strengthen the squad.

If he does stay, I expect a big improvement from him this season over last season.

And the rest.

Here is what was said about Beckford's wages, I guess it comes down to if you trust Bert, but if he's right then those wages just can't be supported in the Championship, especially on a 28 year old who has been so far above League One nothing but average in my honest opinion. That's doesn't mean I think he's a bad player just not worth the money is on and so should be let go, is that not fair enough?

I don't know Bert from Adam so it means less than nothing to me. Yes of course you are allowed your opinion but so are those who like Beckford, even if they are sometimes deluded about his ability. We have all heard the criticisms and justifications multiple times but in the end I think if people choose to believe he will come good then fair play to them.

Saying he won't get 20 goals is just as stupid. Nobody knows how many goals Beckford will score. But I bet it will be a good few.

Just as stupid as what?

and I'm not sure anyone has said he won't get 20 goals, I underlined that my problem was people saying he will, not that he could.

no one really knows enough about other players wages to discuss it.

Anyone what cares will kbow what we have a wage bill totalling £15 million yet we make just £6 million. We also know that the Thais are loaning this to the club.

It costs a pound to find that out, I care and the current spending is similar to a Portsmouth esque crash situation (second admin - Kitson 20k and Lawrence 15k).

Archived