Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blueblood1989

Pearsonality

I don't know whether Pearson is contemptuous of the media, condescending or just cautiously guarded. I don't know whether he's dismissively arrogant or just a man who prefers to let his actions and his footballers do the talking.

My own attitude to the media was to feed them as many stories as they needed so they were so happy they didn't need to ask awkward questions and had a lot of easy copy to lose if they did.

As a journalist myself I understood they were doing a job and would more likely become mischievous if they were short of something to write.

Pearson strikes me as someone who detests media interviews and this worries me a little for the future because if we are really successful, dealing with the most ruthless - some would say souless - members of the press will be a major part of the job.

But that's for another day and if Pearson is learning to be an attacking manager there's no reason he might not learn to cope more easily with the media.

And, yes, I can understand him being irritated by Stringer. As a journalist Stringer might argue that he asks the questions expected of him and asks them again until he gets an answer or a pissed off blanking. I wonder at times if there's a natural clash because both Pearson and Stringer are both as arrogant as the another.

But it may simply be the veneer of self-assurance they both present as a defence mechanism in doing what they have to do in the way they think best.

My guess is there'll be times when Pearson will need some allies among the media but, right now, I'd back him to do his job in exactly the way he chooses because he's given us hope when there was none, given us attitude when it was lacking and given us enjoyment where there was only frustration.

Above all, he's given us a team we might yet become proud of.

I met NP when he was Hull manager after a game at City, had a chat about his days at LCFC he was very approachable and intelligent.

When he talks to the media he is very guarded. He knows what those guys are like they build you up and then knock you down when your not flavour of the month anymore.

An example of this is in a recent article in the Mercury he said he won't get to excited when we win neither will he get too upset when they lose. He tries to stay calm whatever the result.

The few of us who have met NP on this thread have only said good things about him. Hes not boring.

I really don't understand what some people want from an interview ? For him to say were going to play like Barca or were going to romp the league and not lose another game all season?

Get real people. He knows what the owners, and fans want but he has to keep people grounded also. Over confidence is just as bad as under confidence.

If you dont like listening to him, dont listen to him. Its not a neccessary element of supporting Leicester to listen to his interviews. Besides, if we win, he'll say we need to look to the next game as there's still a long way to go, and if we lose, he'll probably say the same thing. So there you have it.

Give me your managers email address and I'll let him know you feel this way. All sounds a bit kinky to me though... but each to their own

:D guess re reading my post I asked for that, nice one! I don't wanna shag NP though, I just like his strong no nonsense managerial style. :rolleyes:

Np needs to work on his media persona, because it is embarrassing, it doesn't do him or the club any favours, sadly football is so dictated to by the media that being media savvy is important.

It doesn't reflect on his managerial ability, but it would help his relationship with the press and subsequently with the fans.

I am sure he would hate doing it, but if he prepped his answers beforehand, you don't have to be a genius to second guess stringer, I think it would do him a lot of good. As much as his interviews have the cringeworthy comedic value of an episode of the office, we don't want to think our manager is akin to David Brent

Np needs to work on his media persona, because it is embarrassing, it doesn't do him or the club any favours, sadly football is so dictated to by the media that being media savvy is important.

It doesn't reflect on his managerial ability, but it would help his relationship with the press and subsequently with the fans.

I am sure he would hate doing it, but if he prepped his answers beforehand, you don't have to be a genius to second guess stringer, I think it would do him a lot of good. As much as his interviews have the cringeworthy comedic value of an episode of the office, we don't want to think our manager is akin to David Brent

I think this may be the first time I'm not going to agree with you, why should he conform?

We know the majority of media are bullshitters, yes they are a link between him and the fans but I'd rather judge him on footballing matters. He doesn't have to answer to the fans, yes we pay money to go and watch the games, but I'm not paying for him to sing and dance for me. Personally I have no problem with his no shit approach, Sven was a genuinely nice guy in interviews, but in terms of football he just wasn't good enough. It may do him some good with our fans to play along with Stringer, but why should he? If this is what our fans are going to start targeting him for then it really does highlight how idiotic we are!

this attitude is why modern football is in the doldrums.

Why? Because I want the manager of our team to be very good at his job and not take shit from our overpaid players or fickle fans, so that we can get to where we need to be?

Get down from the horse you tart.

I think this may be the first time I'm not going to agree with you, why should he conform?

We know the majority of media are bullshitters, yes they are a link between him and the fans but I'd rather judge him on footballing matters. He doesn't have to answer to the fans, yes we pay money to go and watch the games, but I'm not paying for him to sing and dance for me. Personally I have no problem with his no shit approach, Sven was a genuinely nice guy in interviews, but in terms of football he just wasn't good enough. It may do him some good with our fans to play along with Stringer, but why should he? If this is what our fans are going to start targeting him for then it really does highlight how idiotic we are!

It shouldn't matter, and it kinda sucks that it does, but you see how easily people get up in arms on here, and this is in no small part stoked by stringer and his tweets.

If he could get stringer and co on board it would make his life easier and quell fan dissatisfaction.

I think what sums it up for me was when he wasn't asked about the Matt Mills incident, and decided to go off on one about how he didn't want to discuss it, which was weird because he was asked about his starting line up.

He just needs a little coaching in how to handle the press, Gordon Strachan had it right, he didn't like the press and put them in their place when they asked stupid questions.

Too much is made of it being called 'the developement' or 'u21 'squad... its basically our reserve team squad. The match day squad has to learn match day routines and tactics and focus on that.... anyone not in that still has to train.

people making mountains out of molehills , me thinks!

Good post..!

This...

It shouldn't matter, and it kinda sucks that it does, but you see how easily people get up in arms on here, and this is in no small part stoked by stringer and his tweets.

If he could get stringer and co on board it would make his life easier and quell fan dissatisfaction.

I think what sums it up for me was when he wasn't asked about the Matt Mills incident, and decided to go off on one about how he didn't want to discuss it, which was weird because he was asked about his starting line up.

He just needs a little coaching in how to handle the press, Gordon Strachan had it right, he didn't like the press and put them in their place when they asked stupid questions.

Is it that important though? Does being nice to the media put points on the board! Managers are judged on results, If Pearson gets those results, that's all that matters!

Pander to Stringer? Ridiculous. I hope he continues to treat morons like Stringer with the contempt they deserve. It should be the fans that change their attitude and stop being knee jerk idiots. Pearson is just fine as he is, he commands respect and equally gives respect to those that deserve it. If he maintans those principles he'll have the right people on his side, and it doesn't really matter what everyone else thinks.

Is it that important though? Does being nice to the media put points on the board! Managers are judged on results, If Pearson gets those results, that's all that matters!

No but it can help take the pressure off when our vocal minority of fans are stirring things on here on the radio, the press can pick it up and make it worse or support the manager.

They dont help each other, Stringer asks shit questions and Pearson sidesteps or is obviously condescending in his replies. I don't really mind and wouldn't hold it against Pearson but would be nice to sometimes make the conversation more enjoyable even if he does not say anything of real importance

Couldn't hurt to show a little personality - people warm to interesting/nice characters!

Far prefer hearing Shakespeare when he takes the interviews!

In my view, Pearson has it exactly right. It's entirely down to the players to show the right attitude and application to get themselves back in the team and stay there, St Ledger did it and Nugent has just done it. If Beckford & Danns don't then they can train with the development squad till the end of their contracts or until we can get rid as far as i'm concerned. Pearson doesn't owe us an explanation for his decisions, he's the boss, it's his job that's always on the line, not ours, he doesn't have to listen to the opinions of the rest of the world and it's sister, his opinion on team matters is the only one that counts and he's the only one that can make the decisions. Personally, I like the way he handles the media, he doesn't take any crap from anyone and why should he? He may come across in interviews as arrogant but so what, it hasn't done Fergie or Mourinho any harm and doesn't affect their ability to make decisions in the best interests of their clubs. It won't affect Pearsons decisions either

No but it can help take the pressure off when our vocal minority of fans are stirring things on here on the radio, the press can pick it up and make it worse or support the manager.

I genuinely don't think Pearson gives a monkeys toss about 'opinion'. He seems to do it HIS way. If the results keep coming I don't give a shite about whether he gets pissed off with Stringer et al.

I'd so much rather have Pearsons no-nonsense than Svens (or many other managers for that matter) kiss-arse.

I want a successful football manager capable of winning games home and away and getting our team in the top two.

I couldn't care less if Pearson was an entertaining, spouting comedian like Holloway or dead behind the eyes like Brendan Rogers.

In my view, Pearson has it exactly right. It's entirely down to the players to show the right attitude and application to get themselves back in the team and stay there, St Ledger did it and Nugent has just done it. If Beckford & Danns don't then they can train with the development squad till the end of their contracts or until we can get rid as far as i'm concerned. Pearson doesn't owe us an explanation for his decisions, he's the boss, it's his job that's always on the line, not ours, he doesn't have to listen to the opinions of the rest of the world and it's sister, his opinion on team matters is the only one that counts and he's the only one that can make the decisions. Personally, I like the way he handles the media, he doesn't take any crap from anyone and why should he? He may come across in interviews as arrogant but so what, it hasn't done Fergie or Mourinho any harm and doesn't affect their ability to make decisions in the best interests of their clubs. It won't affect Pearsons decisions either

Yes yes yes!! Well said. One Nigel Pearson!!!

Too much is made of it being called 'the developement' or 'u21 'squad... its basically our reserve team squad. The match day squad has to learn match day routines and tactics and focus on that.... anyone not in that still has to train.

people making mountains out of molehills , me thinks!

Agreed. Waghorn played for them on Monday- he's very much in the plans.

I doubt that these players will be ignored by the hierachy and cut off from the rest of the squad, just that their training methods won't be so intense in preparation for first-team games.

Archived