Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
darko2k7

Leicester 1-2 Crystal Palace Post Match Thread

Today was just one of those games that happen every now and again. Nothing seemed to fall for us, many of our players were not at their best, we didn't get decisions that on another day we would have.

It's the first game that we have lost this season that I can truly say that we deserved nothing from, because of the way we played.

I agree with what Pearson said, we were beaten by the better side on the day. But I don't think they are better than us in general like some seem to be saying. I mean I don't think they would beat us over and over again if we had to keep playing them.

If that Nugent chance goes in early on then who knows what might have happened. That miss pretty much started the day as it continued on, as thing after thing kept not going for us. Like someone else said, it's very fine lines between one chance sending the game in one direction or completely the other.

It's worse to see that Cardiff, Borough and Forest won, so not a happy day.

All in all though, we have to be pleased with nearly a 2 point per game average and 2nd place at this stage of the season.

The Watford game will tell us how far we have come from last season. Will be feel sorry for ourselves next week, or will we dig in and start a new unbeaten run. I'll be reserving further judgement until I see how we handle that.

Palace played alright and we weren't strong enough for a huge chunk of the game. Having said that we still had one cleared off the line, Nuge had a great chance and a couple of other half chances. Not forgetting what looked to me a stone wall penno and that was from the cop.

The ref and lineman were an utter joke, but they didn't lose the game for us today so lets not bring that up as an excuse. We weren't good enough today, we lost the midfield battle for most of the game (something can't be said about most games this year). We didn't create enough going forward and we didn't defend set pieces well enough.

Well done Palace, we are still second though. We have a week to recover and get a bit of energy back into our play, we've looked a tad flat against Brighton and Palace.

Just hope we're not entering in our losing streak again! :unsure:

Not a great performance, but I would say awful, we had a good go at them but when you are playing 12 men it's difficult. One or two legs looked tired to me Morgan and Drinkwater, give them a rest, bring in Danns and Moore in.

Zaha is a must signing for me, looked world class compared to Dyer.

Today constitutes half of our longest losing streak this season.

Palace support was quality though

I keep hearing this bumming of them but thought they were nothing more than ok. Miles better than our shambles, but Oadby Town probably create more noise than us so that's nothing to crow about.

Well it could be worse you could be the guy I saw trip on the stairs at half time and send two trays chips and a coffee flying, probably queued for 20 minutes to get them as well.

Today was just one of those games that happen every now and again. Nothing seemed to fall for us, many of our players were not at their best, we didn't get decisions that on another day we would have.

It's the first game that we have lost this season that I can truly say that we deserved nothing from, because of the way we played.

I agree with what Pearson said, we were beaten by the better side on the day. But I don't think they are better than us in general like some seem to be saying. I mean I don't think they would beat us over and over again if we had to keep playing them.

If that Nugent chance goes in early on then who knows what might have happened. That miss pretty much started the day as it continued on, as thing after thing kept not going for us. Like someone else said, it's very fine lines between one chance sending the game in one direction or completely the other.

It's worse to see that Cardiff, Borough and Forest won, so not a happy day.

All in all though, we have to be pleased with nearly a 2 point per game average and 2nd place at this stage of the season.

The Watford game will tell us how far we have come from last season. Will be feel sorry for ourselves next week, or will we dig in and start a new unbeaten run. I'll be reserving further judgement until I see how we handle that.

Totally agree

Palace support was quality though

They sounded good on the radio after they'd scored and at the end of the game. Couldn't really hear them between that though.

Other than the 'We Love You' that our supporters were singing in the first 10 minutes, I didn't really hear our fans at all. Hoping it'll be better in Watford.

Weren't good enough today. No excuses, not even the diabolical ref. But interesting that Palace haven't played many top table sides yet. Our boys looked a bit jaded but hopefully now we've got a run with more lower table teams we'll recover our form and get back to winning ways.

IMO Palace fans were quality, loud with varied chants, good on 'em...

Well, I'm aware I'm probably gonna get crucified for this but after reading thru all of the comments on this thread, nobody has said what I'm sure we're all thinking. So, I'm gonna be the first to say it.....We LOST today. At home. That's it.....we're doomed. We're obviously suddenly a load of old dogpoo and we're gonna be relegated. PANIC PANIC PANIC. Sack Nige!!! Sack Nuge!!! Sack Kaspar!!! We are LEICESTER CITY....we are MAHOOSIVE and we deserve better.

Right from the moment I saw their enthusiastic turn out I feared the worst ,sometimes you can tell by the opposition fans' body language ( balloons and all ) that they felt they had a good chance.

And as for the football they were right. Palace are a big raw boned side I felt ( nobody under 5'11"?), with 2 wide players that can cause problems. Other than that would any of us fancy anyone other than those 2? They bullied us off the ball and we looked lightweight , when a palace player wanted to win a tackle or header he generally won it. We could not play through them and this game and the Brighton one are the only 2 this season when this has been the case as we have passed teams to death.

Anthony and Drinkwater have been our major play makers this season and quite simply they did a job on them.

One of those games.

Not like they came here and passed us off the park. They scored both their goals from set pieces which we seem particularly bad at defending from this season.

We had two efforts cleared of the line one quite dubiously, maybe using his arm. Also had a couple of decent penalty shouts.

Will be interesting to see if we can bounce back next week...

As for the Palace fans, their away support will be back to their usual numbers soon enough after their 'big day out'.

Tactical and footballing mess today. And for all the diabolical refereeing - from the man in the middle and another on the side with his flag - that was no excuse.

To start at the beginning we looked like we'd never seen a football all season in the first five minutes. Almost every attempted pass went astray and there's no excuse for us being prepared so badly.

Presumably Dyer was injured or ill because taking off the only genuinely pacey player we had was a forced decision so early on because he (with Vardy) had already made one of our two excellent early chances for Nugent and he was nowhere near the worst performer to be seen in a Leicester shirt.

Kasper, Whitbread, Knockaert and Drinkwater were diabolical, Konch was getting run ragged and Vardy looked about as likely to score as a eunoch on a beach full of nymphomaniacs, missing one glorious close-range chance in the second half.

By the time we'd gifted Palace two goals and slouched out for the second half it was clear that major changes were needed to both our personnel, our ideas and our attitude. But the personnel changes came too late, yet again, and the uninspired thinking continued.

Futacs remained on the sidelines (having looked entirely indifferent going through the motions of keeping warm out on the pitch over half-time) despite the fact we desperately needed an aerial threat and had none. How bad must the bloke be not to have got a game today?

Knockaert, meanwhile, kept running into whichever brick wall in a Palace shirt was in front of him so making his colleagues nervous of running anywhere. Even when Kingy directed a pass to his feet he'd run somewhere else.

What the hell is he ever doing in central midfield cos he's a collection of mistakes in motion away from the front third and no-one else seemed to have the faintest idea whether he was likely to twist or stick.

Then we seemed to be mesmerised into repeating the same wasteful final ball when going forward - a hopeful cross onto the heads of Palace's giant defenders with poor Vardy and Nugent needing a set of library steps apiece to have more than token chance of competing.

Even early on I saw Vardy plead with DeLaet to feed the ball on the floor but no, nothing changed - the visiting defenders must have headed so many crosses they'll all be needing aspirin in the morning to ease the throbbing.

I know Palace closed us down well but where did our passing go? Kingy, although not competing with his recent new-found vigour - was the only one trying (successfully in the main) to play the ball quickly and simply.

Quite apart from allowing Palace free passage through the centre of our defence for the uncontested header which gave Palace their second goals, I don't specifically remember Whitbread heading the ball to one of our players once. And, yet again he almost gave away his "gift-a-day" goal chance...with Kasper joining him this time - twice.

Drinkwater seemed lost and far more likely to fall over the ball or himself than to give a short, sharp, accurate pass and I've already mentioned Knockaert. He just wore himself out running into countless dead ends with the inevitable results.

He did, to his credit, try to vary our countless corners but he just doesn't deliver the ball with enough power, spin or accuracy to be effective even if we'd showed we'd planned some well-honed manoeuvres on the training ground - which we clearly hadn't. Almost every cross was an easy picking for the Palace defenders so why did we persist in putting the ball in the air at all.

Even Morgan caught the bug. Times he did a Mills and simply threaded a high, hopeless ball forward and to a team so well equipped t o do damage on the counter with their ever-dangerous wingmen.

If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed our passing team could be so easily reduced to the level of being boring and predictable.

Yes, King reduced the arrears and maintained our record of having scored in every game but, while we didn't deserve the injustice the referee heaped onto us, I don't think we deserved to draw either.

Mind you, failing to give the handball on the left post had lots of us questioning the referees honesty or his eyesight and it wasn't the only occasion. There was some seriously blatant pushing in the box which should have brought a spot kick too.

As for one of the linesman - he reminded me of one of the three monkeys. Hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil ...he just didn't see what was in front of his eyes and didn't seem to have any idea that a ball is only out when all of it crosses the line...either for us or the opposition.

Altogether I was glad to get home!

Some incredible overreaction to our first home defeat fo the season! We were outmuscled and caught cold by a very strong and well organised Palace team! We had previously excellent performers in Drinky, Knocky and King off there games which had a big impact. NP tried to change it and if not for abysmal decisions we could probably have ot a draw from a game we didn't show up in. NPs interview was fantastic, honest, complimentary to CP and not damning of the lads who have been primarily outstanding. I'm expecting big showing at Watford....COYB :chant:

Palace are the best team I've seen this season, except for us obviously. Thought Zaha and Bolasie on the wings were great, whilst Jedinak was a monster in the centre of midfield.

As Pearson said, too many players had an off day today. Drinkwater in particular was awful. He's the heartbeat of our team and has been one of our best players this season, but let's call a spade a spade. He was atrocious today. Constantly gave the ball away and seemed to be running through treacle. But at least he was still asking for the ball, which is a commendable trait.

Schmeichel also had a bit of an off-afternoon, and I'm still unconvinced by Whitbread and James. But then again, the pair of them have had very disjointed starts to their City careers.

The referee and his assistants were absolutely terrible. The standard of officiating is just not good enough. What really grinds my gears is that there is no consistent application of the role of the linesman. Either referees should be forced to defer to them on incidents in their portion of the pitch (my preferred option) or they should be told just to flag for offside, as a matter of course for all referees. Not some utilising their assistants as assistant referees and others just using them for offside. There must be consistency.

What is not acceptable is when the assistants appear to have been given the power to give decisions (as appears to have been the case today, with the linesman in front of L1 flagging for handball at one point) but being too timid to do anything about it. Towards the end of the first half, two absolutely blatant fouls were committed right in front of the linesman in front of the West Stand. He must have seen them. He must have known they were fouls. But he just stood there and let play go on.

I'm not saying it's cost us the game or anything. Palace fully deserved their win. But something needs to be done about the cowardice of match officials in this country - it's our ticket money ultimately going to these guys, and they're not adequately implementing the rules of the game.

We were under the cosh from the off really. Pretty poor performance all round though palace were superb. Best side Ive seen so far.

Shouldve been a penalty for us though. Ref did seem a bit biasedd.

De laet is mint going forward but not so good defensively. Shouldve intercepted the ball lwading to the corner for their second and couldnt get out of the way of a ball going out for a goal kick, conceding the corner which they scored from.

Need to start converting chances from crosses and corners though.

Bit gutted about losing but no shame in it being to Palace

Edit, knocky needs to stop trying to do so much. Times today he held onto the ball for too long as he did on Tuesday and ends up being tackled. Frustrating though i suppose if he was the all round players he'd not be playing for us

Went to the match today, worst performance I've seen so far this season, along with having another dodgy ref. Drinkwater was the worst player on the pitch for me, couldn't compete with the Palace midfield and gave the ball away far too often.

And the goals we conceded were poor, both from set pieces. Nugent and Vardy were ineffective up front, and so were Dyer and Knockaert out wide. We do need to bring in a striker who can add more quality to our strike force, because we haven't scored enough goals recently, albeit we've scored in every game.

But on the bright side, we're still in the top 2 and let's hope we stay there by the time we beat Watford in the next match. We don't want to let our hard work in getting to where we are in the table go to waste.

Honest assessment, we were 2nd best all over the park. They defended better, attacked better and won the midfield battle.

We're gonna lose games, the champions lose games, it's nothing to get too down about, we've got a manager and a squad who are determined and will come back stronger just like they did in League One & the play-off season.

Credit to Palace, best fans at us by an absolute distance and a solid team to boot, wish them luck, rather them than the sell-out Welsh cvnts.

Ref shouldn't be near this level, he was nothing short of a disgrace.

Leicester weren't disgraceful but poor and need to learn from it.

Archived