Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Monk

Watford Post Match Thread

If you actually watch goals against us be honest how many times could Kasper actually save them? If he was as good as everybody says he is 3 goals should not have gone past him he still has alot of room for improvement to make it my eyes! We should not be this bad at defending

Has it been established why Knockaert took the penalty?  Did NP or Morgan as captain have any input?

Watford were definitely the better side and NP will stand or fall by his signings.  We ended up with a very inexperienced back four in Keane and Schlupp and perhaps too many young players.

NP has been backed in the transfer market but we ended up with a very second best forward line and shouldn't have had to rely upon having Kane on the pitch.  Futacs and Vardy haven't succeeded.  Matty James has been excellent and the best signing this season with De Laet close behind.  Knockaert has potential but probably not good enough yet to be in a top two side.

On balance I think NP has had his chance and hasn't assembled a good enough squad so as Alan Suger would say "Reluctantly you're fired".

I agree with your assessment. We just haven't been good enough.

Tactically Pearson has failed as much as anything. Our squad is talented and improving but it has major weaknesses and is too small.

It's not easy building a squad, but in January I knew we hould have strengthened in certain areas, we didn't, and we have paid for it.

But substitutions and style of play has cost us as well.

I do blame a lot of the players for bottling it, not trying hard enough often enough, and being badly out of form at the wrong times, but Pearson has made monumental errors as well, even today in isolation.

I like him, but he's failed since January.

If you actually watch goals against us be honest how many times could Kasper actually save them? If he was as good as everybody says he is 3 goals should not have gone past him he still has alot of room for improvement to make it my eyes! We should not be this bad at defending

Yeah, third best defence in the league. It's just not on, clearly all of our defenders and Kasper are shit.

Stop whining.  He has been excellent all season. Tool!!

Stop whining.  He has been excellent all season. Tool!!

Prove to me where he's been excellent apart from a couple of penalty saves, check the goals from corners, crosses etc and see if they are savagely instead of going around calling people tools!

Go and actually see the goals we have conceded

Yeah, third best defence in the league. It's just not on, clearly all of our defenders and Kasper are shit.

To me just shows how poor this league is for scoring with better strikers we would have been done over alot more

Watford were so much better than us. There passing was premiership at times. We would have lost that all day long.

Gutted how it ended

If we had scored that penalty 30 seconds earlier we'd have drawn and been looking forward to Wembley.

Do me a favour, our defending got worse and worse as the season went on and it was hopeless today.

Morgan should stay in, I hope Kasper stays, but the others are not good enough.

Has anyone seen that film Goal 2 where Arsenal have a penalty at the end and its saved and Real Madrid clear it out and score up the other end? I remember saying at the time how unrealistic is that

To me just shows how poor this league is for scoring with better strikers we would have been done over alot more

But we're still in this league and this defence is the third best in the league and has conceded over two goals in only one league game. Other clubs were punished by strikers in this league, other clubs were ripped apart, are you seriously suggesting that all strikers in this division have an off day against Leicester City?

But we're still in this league and this defence is the third best in the league and has conceded over two goals in only one league game. Other clubs were punished by strikers in this league, other clubs were ripped apart, are you seriously suggesting that all strikers in this division have an off day against Leicester City?

Well look at th time we played watford at home in the league we should have been at least 3 goals down by half time, how many times away from home we have been 2 nil in the first half then bring I e goal back to lose 2-1 to make it look better this bull about we have only lost by one goal is a load of bull

This is the only comment i'm going to make, I like to make comments after match with proper feelings.

We played quite well 1st half, not so good 2nd, too defensive for my liking I kept saying throughout the 2nd half (Especially after they went 2-1 up) that we would should make it to extra time but if one team was going to score and win the tie it would be Watford, we simply had no attacking danger or threat, we got the penalty, I was crying why the fuck was Knockaert taking it (Before the penalty), afterwards I certainly was crying it, why the fuck didn't Nugent take it! FFS! Who let Knockaert take it? Who allowed it?

And as a fan i'll admit I wasn't thinking about anything but scoring it, but as professionals why wasn't anything thinking about defending if it was missed and a counter attack occured.

Gutted absolutely gutted, having said that given our 2nd half of the season performance we didn't deserve to make the playoffs in all honesty, we did, we all got carried away, but as usual it was for nothing

Deja Vu - Another Frenchman, Another Penalty, Another Playoff.

More comment to follow in the following hours and days, as I am pretty pissed at the moment (Appologies for not making that apparent by wrong spelling e.t.c)

It pains me to say it we got out of the season exactly what we deserved, nothing.

We all thought it might still happen, but being realistic why do we deserve to get promoted.

We end the season winning 3 out of 17 and early season inconsistencies, any team that really challenges for promotion has to be consistent.

We were inconsistent when np took over and he hasn't resolved it, some fresh ideas need to be brought in.

It pains me to say it we got out of the season exactly what we deserved, nothing.

We all thought it might still happen, but being realistic why do we deserve to get promoted.

We end the season winning 3 out of 17 and early season inconsistencies, any team that really challenges for promotion has to be consistent.

We were inconsistent when np took over and he hasn't resolved it, some fresh ideas need to be brought in.

Agree, we ended up sixth and got beaten by the better team in the play offs!!

Beaten by the better team.  No shame in that despite the way we eventually lost.

However as for what happens next, I personally really don't know.

Pearson has now had three cracks at getting us to the Premier League (two of those times with huge financial backing) and in truth we haven't really come close.  The difference in tactical ability (albeit thanks to eight loanees) was staggering and I can't imagine the owners would be too impressed with spending £90,000,000+ to see us clinging on in matches with ten men behind the ball and lumping it forward to the solitary big man and hope for a mistake or set piece every time we come up against a top four club (reminded me so much of England it was scary).  We will get nowhere in the long run doing so and I am doubting Pearson's ability to get anything more from this team.  

Next year will be even harder with FFP and quality teams around us.  Today made it clear we are a long LONG way from becoming a solid Premiership outfit so what do we do? Stick or twist? 

PS I still love Knockaert...the ONLY player we have that will ALWAYS try to make something happen offensively.  90% it doesn't work, but when it does, he is lethal.  He is not the reason we lost today, but he IS the reason we were there in the first place.

:scarf: ALLEZ LES BLEUS!  :scarf:

Watched the game in Nicaragua, in five star hotel room with a danish chick, who was p**ed that i had the game on at 5.30 am, and was jumping round that it was actually being shown.

In the last 90 secs went from ecstasy to despair, and then punched the bed so many times that she ran to the bathroom!

Hence now on my own watching the untied game, while shes gone for a 'walk'

Beaten by the better team.  No shame in that despite the way we eventually lost.

However as for what happens next, I personally really don't know.

Pearson has now had three cracks at getting us to the Premier League (two of those times with huge financial backing) and in truth we haven't really come close.  The difference in tactical ability (albeit thanks to eight loanees) was staggering and I can't imagine the owners would be too impressed with spending £90,000,000+ to see us clinging on in matches with ten men behind the ball and lumping it forward to the solitary big man and hope for a mistake or set piece every time we come up against a top four club (reminded me so much of England it was scary).  We will get nowhere in the long run doing so and I am doubting Pearson's ability to get anything more from this team.  

Next year will be even harder with FFP and quality teams around us.  Today made it clear we are a long LONG way from becoming a solid Premiership outfit so what do we do? Stick or twist? 

PS I still love Knockaert...the ONLY player we have that will ALWAYS try to make something happen offensively.  90% it doesn't work, but when it does, he is lethal.  He is not the reason we lost today, but he IS the reason we were there in the first place.

:scarf: ALLEZ LES BLEUS!  :scarf:

I think you makes some fair points.

The bit in bold is a big issue for me. We've gone backwards.

Pearson WAS building an exciting young team, but the inclusion of Wood and Kane signalled the start of our descent into shit football. Today we were so far behind Watford in our passing in the second half it was unbelievable. We move it so slowly and hoof it up to big men who don't even have it in them to win headers or use upper body strength. It's sad that I am desperate for Steve Howard back at the moment.

Some of our young players lost form badly (well, most of them actually) and this can be put down to inexperience, but our experienced players like Nugent and Dyer (who lets face it, is never consistent and never will be, bless him) had the same problem.

Its difficult to see whether we will find that something(s) that made us such a progressive attacking team in the first 3rd/half of the season.

Oh well, who gives a shit I need to forget about this for now. Another season in the championship, urghh.

Agree with the first part, second part is nonsense.

Pearson did fvck up with his tactics today, we were suicidal in the second half and got battered.

And we did need a real leader, but not to stop Knocky taking a penalty, we needed a leader to talk to the other defenders who were having a mare. He wasn't organising Keane, he wasn't advising Schlupp, we were all over the place.

I don't agree Pearson got his tactics wrong: getting tactics wrong would have been to have gone to the game trying to defend the lead. Watford stepped up their game in the second half, but Leicester still looked to put pressure on the Watford defence whenever possible. After all , that's what led to the penalty. Kane also had a good chance on the counter attack. I also don't agree the defenders apart from Morgan were playing badly - Keane perhaps wasn't as dominant as a very good Watford attack but still made some good tackles and got sufficient on the ball to deflect one of Watford's best chances (Abdi) past the post. I thought Schlupp did well on the whole - far better than the first leg. I think Pearson was spot on playing him rather than Konshevsky (I'm assuming he was fully fit) as I think his comparative lack of pace would have led to even more Watford chances.

However, with Wood off the pitch, I was very surprised to see Knockaeart step up to take the penalty, as presumably our first choice penalty taker. We must have been practising penalties so hopefully he was better in training. But winning a penalty shoot out does seem quite remote.

We came very, very close getting to Wembley where I think we could beat have beaten either opponent. If the same squad can be kept together, with 2-3 signings to strengthen it,  we should be able to get automatic promotion if the same form is shown as in the last 3 games.

Archived