Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

Just now, Mr Mister said:

They should just just demolish that International Hotel Building as it is an eyesore. But the council are just too dumb to see it.

It's not the councils to demolish.

• Like 4

I walked around the city centre at the weekend, worked out it was 40 years ago when I worked on Charles Street.   I suppose it wasn't a surprise to find out that virtually EVERYTHING as changed. And are security cameras compulsory now....but I suppose it must be comforting there's no crime therefore?  you didn't use to see beggars around.

Anyway, it'll always be my home town (somehow), it may be grimy in parts, and I love it!     And a little old lady said she remembered my granddad's shoe shop in the Silver Arcade.

Jobs at new 'Selfridges of sport' are being advertised outside former BHS site

Sports Direct boss Mike Ashley has taken on the 100,000 sq ft store on Gallowtree Gate

By

Hayley WatsonOnline Content Writer

17:27, 19 FEB 2018

Panels have been erected outside the former BHS site on Gallowtree Gate advertising jobs at what is set to become a major new retail concept for Leicester.

Last year the boss of Sports Direct, Mike Ashley, took on the 100,000 sq ft city centre store to create what he calls the “Selfridges of sport”.

The concept will combine a brand new Sports Direct store alongside its fashion brands, USC and Flannels.

USC sells branded men’s and women’s clothing, including Boss, Calvin Klein, DKNY and Lacoste.

While the more upmarket Flannels sells luxury brands including Gucci, Vivienne Westwood, Dolce & Gabbana and Valentino.

Budget gym Everlast Fitness Club will open in the basement of the building, with memberships starting from £5 per month.

The Leicester page on the Everlast website says that customers can expect a range of gym equipment, a large free weights area, saunas, group exercise studios and a fuel bar.

Everlast Fitness Club will open in the basement of the store

Building work started on the site in summer 2017, although it appeared to have slowed at the end of last year.

However the venture could be set to open sooner rather than later, as building work is expected to finish at some point in 2018.

A spokesperson for Sports Direct said: "We are looking forward to opening the new store later this year, and we'll be sharing more exciting details in due course."

How can you get a job at the "Selfridges of Sport"?

Panels outside the "Selfridges of Sport" site are advertising job vacancies at Sports Direct, Flannels, USC and Everlast Fitness Club.

Job-seekers are encouraged to visit the websites of each retailer to see the latest jobs at the new Leicester stores.

USC is one of the fashion brands set for the store

One job currently listed is for a Loss Prevention Officer at Flannels .

Applicants must have at least three years' retail security experience.

The salary is listed at £8.80 per hour, plus bonus scheme.

To search for jobs, visit the career pages for Sports Direct , Flannels , USC and Everlast Fitness Clubs .

13 minutes ago, Webbo said:

My dad would have been living there at that time.

Must've been years since I've driven through that area, but suppose from what's being said in general about the area your Dad would've probably preferred living there at that time than now..

Just now, Wymeswold fox said:

Must've been years since I've driven through that area, but suppose from what's being said in general about the area your Dad would've probably preferred living there at that time than now..

It was a pretty rough area atm too, mind you they had moved there from Braunstone so maybe it was a step up. He was an extrovert character, he would have got on anywhere.

On 21.2.2018 at 19:02, Wymeswold fox said:

I come from there.  That 1st Photo,became a Bit of a black Spot.

Also for many years,one of the best places to See Santa make His Tour.

The small Common besides the New church,is where we crossed, to Go to 

NP.secondary school. Opposite the Common,Further Up  where the

Mother and child are walking,was the Primary School.

Behind the New Flats,the NPS Sports fields.

My Chidlhood,Teenage school years,within 500 sq Meters.

My springboard,to Sport,working,travelling ambitions/success/careers.....

My roots....

And Know that you are in my heart,

When the Last Tear drop falls....

Edited by fuchsntf

Revamped Haymarket theatre set to host its first event in more than a decade

A £3.6 million overhaul is nearing completion

By

Dan MartinPolitics Reporter

05:00, 23 FEB 2018

Leicester’s Haymarket Theatre is set to stage its first event in more than a decade next week.

A £3.6 million revamp of the venue is nearly complete and a dance event is planned on Friday to ‘reawaken’ the theatre that closed in 2007 when Curve opened.

A council-backed consortium has carried out a major overhaul of the 1970s theatre and replaced 901 seats in the auditorium, which were torn out in previous failed attempts to sell the leasehold to the building.

The stage has been repainted and the rest of the building is nearing completion.

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby, who will launch the first show, said: “The theatre looks absolutely stunning.

“When we set about bringing it back into use we all had the view it could never be made to look as good as it was when it originally opened, but now it is better than it has ever been in its whole life.

“I am looking forward to seeing it come back to life.

“We have succeeded in turning something which was a burden to the taxpayer into something that will be a real asset for the city.”

The council embarked on the project because it was locked into a 99-year lease on the disused building which was costing the public purse some £180,000 a year. The lease has almost 60 years to run.

It has paid for the revamp but the consortium, made up of figures from the Leicester’s arts and business scene, will take on the annual running costs.

Other work carried out includes improved door finishes in the public areas, high-quality toilet facilities, better heating provision in the back-of-house areas, and improved decoration.

The improvements are being complemented by works to revamp the steps and piazza area outside the theatre – works due to be carried out by the owner of the Haymarket centre.

A series of "soft launch'’ events including opera, and ballet performed by international companies are planned, as well as a week-long CAMRA beer festival that 9,000 people are expected to attend.

In April the Haymarket is set to host two large e-sports event for gamers called League of Legends and Hearthstone.

The Haymarket today was granted a licence to serve alcohol.

The police had objected because the venue sits in a cumulative impact zone (CIZ) - an area the police and council says is already saturated with bars and pubs.

Officers were concerned about how thy could manage potential audiences of up to 1,200 people on their way to and from the venue and wanted guarantees that policies would be put in place to safeguard young people using the venue.

The consortium agreed to work closely with the police and draw up suitable policies to prevent potential public disorder and nuisance and the licence was granted.

Haymarket1.jpg

I really hope the Haymarket succeeds. It was one of the first provincial theatres to attract major productions with well known actors in shows back in the 70-80's. It's in a perfect location (apart from the scumhole that is Belgrave Gate) to appeal to people.

32 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I really hope the Haymarket succeeds. It was one of the first provincial theatres to attract major productions with well known actors in shows back in the 70-80's. It's in a perfect location (apart from the scumhole that is Belgrave Gate) to appeal to people.

Me too...  I’ve been there many times and even performed there as a kid!

has to work hard to differentiate from the excellent Curve

iMaybe live music?

2 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Me too...  I’ve been there many times and even performed there as a kid!

has to work hard to differentiate from the excellent Curve

iMaybe live music?

Yeah, it would be a good venue, separate from the Curve where, maybe up and coming bands could play live. Maybe make Leicester a place to showcase new artists, singers, bands, poets, who knows. there's so much that could happen if the people who are financing it can think on a broader level.

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Yeah, it would be a good venue, separate from the Curve where, maybe up and coming bands could play live. Maybe make Leicester a place to showcase new artists, singers, bands, poets, who knows. there's so much that could happen if the people who are financing it can think on a broader level.

Shame it's an absolute pit on Belgrave gate.

The old Evarards at Fosse Park is set to be the location for a variety of well-known shops.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/business/work-gets-underway-135m-fosse-1305331

I try to avoid shopping at Fosse Park, as it tends to get crammed with the sometimes difficult to navigate car parks there.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

23 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

The old Evarards at Fosse Park is set to be the location for a variety of well-known shops.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/business/work-gets-underway-135m-fosse-1305331

I try to avoid shopping at Fosse Park, as it tends to get crammed with the sometimes difficult to navigate car parks there.

Tell me about it, i don't think ive ever been and not got lost or couldn't find the bloody exit. 

On 23/02/2018 at 20:13, Parafox said:

The thing is, this is exactly what Leicester used to be

But that was mainly down to The Charlotte

As soon as that place shut the music scene, for bands at least, in this city completely died

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrSpaM said:

The thing is, this is exactly what Leicester used to be

But that was mainly down to The Charlotte

As soon as that place shut the music scene, for bands at least, in this city completely died

Only been to The Curve once, thought the auditorium was a massive step down from the Haymarket. How far is the back row from the stage at the Curve? Maybe they do opera glasses...

Losing The Charlotte was a crying shame, and so many live music venues are struggling with noise restrictions. I know the revamped Shed has been trying to get late events on, but not much luck.