Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Waghorn on loan

Last season I said that Waggy isn't a bad player and that he contributes to the team. However he isn't a 'natural finisher'. He's playing a similar role at Millwall apparently. Holding the ball up, contributing to the others, but not exactly prolific.

I felt we needed to be scoring more goals and Waggy doesn't do enough in that respect IMO. But he's not a bad player.

:thumbup:

Fair enough. I didn't think we needed that at the time and I stand by that, but I guess I can see where you're coming from.

So, a question for you and anyone else who wants to answer it.

David Nugent's goals are mainly coming from Penalties and his all round contribution to the team isn't as good (currently) as Waghorn's was last season when he played regularly and at Millwall right now. Vardy and Waghorn are scoring at similar rates and both clearly have an awful lot to add to the team generally. Chris Wood isn't featuring that often and when he has featured after January last year he hasn't exactly ripped up any trees. Based on that, should Martyn Waghorn be starting games for Leicester City when he returns?

We must assume he has been loaned out to see if he can still cut it - of course if he gets good he should play - why do you lot want crap players and crap managers here, ever? I never have got this, we all have favourites but surely Leicester City winning is the sole aim of the club, not having love ins with players or staff.......

The best for us would be to get JB back.

We must assume he has been loaned out to see if he can still cut it - of course if he gets good he should play - why do you lot want crap players and crap managers here, ever? I never have got this, we all have favourites but surely Leicester City winning is the sole aim of the club, not having love ins with players or staff.......

I think mark is alluding to the fact that Waghorn should now be playing upfront for us off the back four allegedly reasonable performances for Millwall and his token goal against Derby for the season. Obviously 6th highest goal scorer in the Championship David Nugent isn't cutting it (we all know how good Martyn can be at pens as well so it's not like we're going to miss Daves peanlty prowess, not like he's never missed an important one is it)

Anyway back to comparing goal scoring records instead of performances as we need to change this up to show he's just as good as Jamie Vardy, and Wood's obviously not ripping up any tree's it's not like he scored a hat trick the last time he started is it. 

In short bring back Martyn, clearly the best option we have, I hold no bias here what so ever (ignore my avatar)

Fair enough. I didn't think we needed that at the time and I stand by that, but I guess I can see where you're coming from.

David Nugent's goals are mainly coming from Penalties and his all round contribution to the team isn't as good (currently) as Waghorn's was last season when he played regularly and at Millwall right now. Vardy and Waghorn are scoring at similar rates and both clearly have an awful lot to add to the team generally. Chris Wood isn't featuring that often and when he has featured after January last year he hasn't exactly ripped up any trees. Based on that, should Martyn Waghorn be starting games for Leicester City when he returns?

At the risk of sounding like I've been at the sauce already, I would rather have Wood on the bench than Waggy, but would rather start Waggy than Wood. I feel that over 70 - 90 minutes, Waggy would contribute more with his all round play. But if we need a goal, Wood is more likely to deliver in 15 - 25 minutes as a sub than Waggy. But I can feel a "Yakubu" type debate coming on now as someone undoubtedly wants to point out that Wood might deliver even more goals if he was on for longer !

I think mark is alluding to the fact that Waghorn should now be playing upfront for us off the back four allegedly reasonable performances for Millwall and his token goal against Derby for the season. Obviously 6th highest goal scorer in the Championship David Nugent isn't cutting it (we all know how good Martyn can be at pens as well so it's not like we're going to miss Daves peanlty prowess, not like he's never missed an important one is it)

Anyway back to comparing goal scoring records instead of performances as we need to change this up to show he's just as good as Jamie Vardy, and Wood's obviously not ripping up any tree's it's not like he scored a hat trick the last time he started is it. 

In short bring back Martyn, clearly the best option we have, I hold no bias here what so ever (ignore my avatar)

I'm not saying that Nugent isn't cutting it and personally I'd stick with Nugent and Vardy, I've never seen any point in changing things around too much when we're winning. Wood did score a hattrick against a bottom half League One side, but as I'm sure you're aware from the Beckford debate, I really don't think that's proof that he should be starting games in the Championship.

My point was that (in fewer games) Waghorn has scored one goal from open play this season and so has Nugent (I'm sure we have at least one more competent penalty taker in the team), right now Waghorn's performances and contribution seems to be better than Nugent's. I'm asking whether someone like Col or indeed anyone else would have Waghorn in the starting line-up for us on the back of that. That doesn't mean that I myself would, I can just see why people would and was asking to see if anyone would.

and your point is??????

That you can't understand why people would tolerate 'crap' players being here... but think that Jermaine Beckford should have been in a Leicester City shirt last season.

Nope. He's not very good you see.

I'm not saying that Nugent isn't cutting it and personally I'd stick with Nugent and Vardy, I've never seen any point in changing things around too much when we're winning. Wood did score a hattrick against a bottom half League One side, but as I'm sure you're aware from the Beckford debate, I really don't think that's proof that he should be starting games in the Championship.

My point was that (in fewer games) Waghorn has scored one goal from open play this season and so has Nugent (I'm sure we have at least one more competent penalty taker in the team), right now Waghorn's performances and contribution seems to be better than Nugent's. I'm asking whether someone like Col or indeed anyone else would have Waghorn in the starting line-up for us on the back of that. That doesn't mean that I myself would, I can just see why people would and was asking to see if anyone would.

Fair enough, well my two penneth no, he most certainly should not be starting games for us, shouldn't even be considered until his loan at Millwall has had a bit more time to play out. 

Against shit it may have been but it was still an extremely good hat trick. I don't recall Martyn scoring one of them at any level/competition. 

As I've told you before I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of Jermaine Beckford, I may have (correctly) told you he would score more goals then Vardy and Waghorn put together last season but I was far from unhappy to see him gone. 

If we want to win crossbar challenge then YES Waghon should be starting.

I hope he does well at Millwall, I hope he does well enough that we bring him back, put him in the first team and his goals get us promoted.

I expect that Millwall may sign him in January.

In response to Mark's post earlier...

No.

I would not split up the front two at present.

I'm of the school of thought that a 'strike partnership' is crucial to any success.

Fryatt and Howard for example, neither brilliant strikers in their own right, both looked better playing together. Their natural reading of each other's game kinda worked.

The same is true of Vardy and Nugent I think.

The best strikers have nearly always looked 'at their best' when paired up with another particular player.

Fowler and Owen

Shearer and Sutton

Heskey and Claridge

Etc etc....

Funny how this has gone a bit quiet.

I play with a Birmingham fan who went to their 4-0 mullering of Millwall on Tuesday, a Birmingham fan who actually quite likes Martyn Waghorn in fact, however his performance on Tuesday was summed up as "did absolutely nothing apart from mis-control the ball and give the ball away" 

Just to make sure we're getting a clear picture of his performances other than noticing their results are getting better so presume he must be playing out of his skin.

I play with a Birmingham fan who went to their 4-0 mullering of Millwall on Tuesday, a Birmingham fan who actually quite likes Martyn Waghorn in fact, however his performance on Tuesday was summed up as "did absolutely nothing apart from mis-control the ball and give the ball away" 

Just to make sure we're getting a clear picture of his performances other than noticing their results are getting better so presume he must be playing out of his skin.

I'd like to point out that, that's not at all what I've personally been doing. Spoke to a Derby fan when Millwall played them and watched the Charlton game, so don't assume that everyone is judging him on how well Millwall are doing.

He's a terrible footballer. Cannot believe I'm reading that one of his strengths is holding the ball up! He can't control the ball. He can't shoot unless it's a snap shot. He never wins the ball in the air.

Thankfully, I know he has no future here. Be good to offload him and his wages. He's too young to be sitting in the reserves. League 1 is his level

He's a terrible footballer. Cannot believe I'm reading that one of his strengths is holding the ball up! He can't control the ball. He can't shoot unless it's a snap shot. He never wins the ball in the air.

Thankfully, I know he has no future here. Be good to offload him and his wages. He's too young to be sitting in the reserves. League 1 is his level

Yep he is a terrible footballer.

As many as Vardy now in a lot less games, same as preseason. Personally I think a 'match fit' Waggy is better than Vardy, that's why one was at a premier league club and one in the non league. Not knocking Vardy, great work rate, but does he have the class. If Waggy had been given the games Vardy had, would he have scored more?

Archived