Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LeicesterBran

What Game Are You Playing At The Moment ?

11 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Anyone played Kingdom of Amalur? Tempted by the remaster being on sale right now but wonder if I'd be better off just starting a new Skyrim campaign instead

I was literally about to post about this. Its free on PS Plus this month so i downloaded it and started it last night. Never played it before and not really sure what to make of it so far. It hasnt built the story up really so im just finding myself doing quests with no real intention. Wondering if i want to continue or find something else to play

11 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Anyone played Kingdom of Amalur? Tempted by the remaster being on sale right now but wonder if I'd be better off just starting a new Skyrim campaign instead

It's okay. 

It feels like if you fed every game made since WoW was released in to an algorithm and got a computer to simulate the exact median RPG. 

It is quite possibly the most generic game I've ever played. But that also means it's extremely playable. 

It's an extremely 7/10 title that won't change your life and you'll probably forget you've played it in a year or two's time but it'll fill a couple weeks of fairly enjoyable playtime. If it's on sale I'd totally buy it to be honest, it's an extremely safe purchase that you can't go much wrong with. 

I've been playing the Amalur remaster on Ps4, prob about 75% through. I originally had it on ps3 a long time ago but never got far.

It's generic as hell, feels very dated  and is barely remastered. Some of the voice acting is terrible (what is the gnome accent meant to be?). The plot is no great shakes. It's an MMO but offline. And yet...I find it strangely enjoyable to play. Quite a cathartic experience, I run around whacking things without having to engage brain too much. I think the combat is pretty decent. I find a lot of the lore and dialogue tedious but a lot is skippable. Despite my criticisms I think there's a lot to be enjoyed. Doesn't come close to Skyrim for world building though, the areas feel very artificial and segregated due to being separated by corridors. 

Thank you all for the responses, those along with a few reviews I've looked at make me feel it sounds a lot like the sort of thing I'd get on well with alongside a few spliffs, but since I'm not smoking right now I think I'd struggle to get into the relative monotony so I'll give it a pass, cheers.

34 minutes ago, tw511 said:

It's an MMO but offline.

Yeah this is what I was getting at with the WoW nod. 

It's basically offline, single player world of warcraft, loads of side quests that you're not gonna read that require you to fetch and kill stuff. Yknow. 

It's a time sink more than an epic but it'll do. 

• Like 1

On 03/11/2021 at 18:56, Line-X said:

Yeah I noticed that - but I liked the idea of the greater immersion of the survivor. 

What I don't understand is that this game is, for its maximum effect, designed for collaborative strategy. If the other three players are random online gamers, then they might shaft you. be out for themselves, simply wait it out to the detriment of other players or just be completely crap. Really don't like the sound of that. The intrigue from this comes from evading and confounding the killers. Rather attempt that on my own. 

Yeh there’s no in game coms with this but you can play with a friend or three. But if you play with randoms then it’s risk or reward. It’s either you come across good players or selfish/shit players. You tend to get players that know what they are doing but there’s is the odd game where none of the survivors know what they are doing. I’ve played games where I’m saving people, baiting the killer away, healing players, then once I’m on the hook, I just get left there to die. It can piss you off.

14 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Hit 100 hours with AC Valhalla.  Can see this taking another 25 hours to platinum.  Only three areas left to clear in England, then there's Norway to clear up and I still haven't touched the Norse stuff.  Game is too big and too easy and yet I keep coming back for more.  

So if im right you havent completed the Sigurd storyline yet? If not then you are in for a treat. Its mental 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Hit 100 hours with AC Valhalla.  Can see this taking another 25 hours to platinum.  Only three areas left to clear in England, then there's Norway to clear up and I still haven't touched the Norse stuff.  Game is too big and too easy and yet I keep coming back for more.  

Assume you can enjoy this without having played the previous games? 

It looks pretty epic so might pick it up

6 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I'd say you definitely can, they're becoming more and more standalone than they used to.  Once the Desmond Miles stuff finished after AC3 they didn't really have any major over-arching story.  There's obviously some continuity relating to the games' universe development, but nothing that would prevent you enjoying this one.

55 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I'd actually suggest going Odyssey instead. Much better game. Not that Valhalla is bad it's just extremely easy and the world/setting is nowhere near as vibrant.

• Like 1

I picked up a month of ubi+ to play valhalla. first time i wasnt in the mood for yet another AC slog, but after a break im quite enjoying it, its seems well put together for the most part, story is interesting and i enjoy the little side missions you discover. trying not to think about how bloody long it is though

The AC Games do continue on from each other but it doesnt mean you cant enjoy say Valhalla before Odyssey. You have your games main story but the back story regarding the animus (which is in actual fact the MAIN story for Assassins Creed) isnt necessary for you to still be able to enjoy the game.

However if you do decide on Valhalla before Odyssey then when you travel to the present time you wont understand what is going on. For me you may aswel play them in the correct order (Origins - Odyssey - Valhalla)

You could always watch a youtube video on the story of Origins and Odyssey to catch up. Ive played all 3 and Odyssey for me is the most enjoyable

On 03/11/2021 at 13:19, Libertine said:

Try the sequel P5: Strikers. Different combat but similar style - 'only' about 30 hours too so not too much of a slog.

I played Persona 5 Royal on my Bro in Laws PS Plus account so ive just had another look at what else he has available and, lo and behold, he has P5 Strikers.

Happy Days ill blast through that next. Kingdom of Amalur hasnt gripped me at all. Just too many quests thrown your way and no real challenge

• Like 1

19 hours ago, buzzer_b said:

Yeh there’s no in game coms with this but you can play with a friend or three. But if you play with randoms then it’s risk or reward. It’s either you come across good players or selfish/shit players. You tend to get players that know what they are doing but there’s is the odd game where none of the survivors know what they are doing. I’ve played games where I’m saving people, baiting the killer away, healing players, then once I’m on the hook, I just get left there to die. It can piss you off.

I'm surprised you don't opt for the 'killer' given your avi.

4 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

The AC Games do continue on from each other but it doesnt mean you cant enjoy say Valhalla before Odyssey. You have your games main story but the back story regarding the animus (which is in actual fact the MAIN story for Assassins Creed) isnt necessary for you to still be able to enjoy the game.

However if you do decide on Valhalla before Odyssey then when you travel to the present time you wont understand what is going on. For me you may aswel play them in the correct order (Origins - Odyssey - Valhalla)

You could always watch a youtube video on the story of Origins and Odyssey to catch up. Ive played all 3 and Odyssey for me is the most enjoyable

i didnt complete odyssey so i watched youtube vids of the present day ending and scenes......it doesnt do a great job following on from the last one and you can catch up on what happened by reading the emails on her laptop. its been crap since the desmond storyline ended. it actually felt like it mattered back then

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Line-X said:

I'm surprised you don't opt for the 'killer' given your avi.

I’ve recently just purchased the Halloween DLC but it was because the survivor has a good perk I want but I am tempted to give Myers a run.

I just find running survivor is much more fun. I can imagine running as Killer would be toxic as fvck, especially as I’ve never really played Killer.

1 hour ago, buzzer_b said:

. I can imagine running as Killer would be toxic as fvck, especially as I’ve never really played Killer.

From looking into it over the last week, that's one of the concerns surrounding this game. 

5 minutes ago, Line-X said:

From looking into it over the last week, that's one of the concerns surrounding this game. 

survivors are way more toxic to the killer than vice versa. a good survivors or 2 can ruin your day with their shenanigans. not really much you can do to troll as a killer except face camp, but you have to catch them first!

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

Agree with that. Origins is my favourite of the recent trilogy

It's got the perfect length out of the 3 of them for sure.  Clocking in at around 80 hours to platinum felt just about right.  Odyssey took another 15 hours to platinum and felt more like filler especially clearing camps to wipe out those question marks.  Medusa was also a huge pain as I was beginning to lose patience with the length of it all by this point.  Valhalla on the other hand is just too long.  The individual story arc format does keep it going though and that works better at sinking in the time without it feeling too laborious compared to the last one.  I see there is a free expansion coming out this week though - more hours! lol  I've now just got Winchester and Hampshire to clear in England having done all the collectibles in every other region and then finish Norway.  Then clear trophies.  105 hours in.

Of the three games, Valhalla feels the most polished of all of them though.  It looks fantastic on PS5, but having waited until it came down in price and through various updates later, I am yet to come across any type of bug at all in 105 hours of game time.  That in itself is impressive.  Both the previous titles had problems months after release, the most infuriating of which was getting an NPC to follow to a location (tree?) and instead would walk round and round in circles without following.

Need to have this finished by February though with the H:FW release.

11 hours ago, Thefox81 said:

Forza Horizon 5. Visually stunning on next gen. Races seem to be very similar to previous Forzas. Lots to get your head around very early with the accolades and horizon adventure but overall a couple of hours in seems good.

I've been living on it since early access Guy Fawkes(i.e burn the Catholic Day).

Running fairly well on older hardware with my One X, regular pop-in the distance and lighting changes noticeable though. On the consoles it seems really well optimised again like most Forza's but PC users having issues with crashing.

At the moment there are too many exploits which level you up and get lots of money quick - I've barely raced but have 15m in the bank, own every property, bought a couple very expensive cars like the Jesko; and it's not even that you need money, the game will just throw high end cars at you through wheelspins and minor little milestone achievements, for instance the most expensive car in the game, I used my free car token on it very early on only to find out it's easy to get anyway.

3* on every stunt already, every road driven, all the fast travel boards smashed, got the weekly challenges out the way, everything is easily obtainable without even racing.

Part of me thinks the way Horizons are built around regular acquisition of shiny new cars, wheelspins ect. it's designed psychologically to get you hooked, to keep coming back for daily/weekly challenges ect. Just all of the challenge is very very easy. Altogether as the consumer, it's a lazy but fairly satisfying time burn.