Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LeicesterBran

What Game Are You Playing At The Moment ?

In a bit of a circling pattern with playing games at the mo', nothing sticking, looking forward to next year... then in a dark christmas shopping hole of deep confusion and frustration I saw it... the future... it's coming soon and it will be glorious... forget your Elden Rings, your Horizon zero Dawns... all praise and give thanks...

image.jpeg.03e5066beb3dd915635ccb78cf4e3dd8.jpeg

With a USB with Sensible World of Soccer on it, a couple of micro-switch joysticks and we're awaaaaaaaaaayyy.... Forget about 4K 60fps. Forget about deformation and high rez textures. Real time physics and global illumination don't mean anything where I'm going. And I don't care that my mates are saying it's a waste of money, just put an emulator on your PC... IT'S NOT THE SAME! 

Edited by Hoopla10
  • Like 1

Noticed that Subnautica: Below Zero is on game pass. 

Downloading now. Absolutely can't wait to dive in. 

Subnautica is one of the best games of the last decade IMO and I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't played it to try it out. I wish I could go back and experience it again. 

One of the most stunningly dread-inducing games I've ever played. Pure thalassophobia.

• Like 1

Dicey Dungeons and Nowhere Prophet have been my go-to side games lately, both fall into the roguelike deck builder genre but in very different ways.  Thoughts on each:

Dicey Dungeons has fairly basic core mechanics (you roll your dice, your cards have costs, if any of your dice match a card's cost you can use it to play that card) but there is a surprising amount of depth to it.  The idea is you're one of a few selectable characters who have been turned into anthropomorphized dice to play as competitors in a diabolical gameshow, not that there are any quizzes or mini games, the gameshow aspect is purely thematic, you're here for a card battling dungeon run.  That said there is a prize wheel which they spin at the end of each successful run...  The playable characters all have different decks but more importantly they also have different abilities (unlocked after maxing out a bar which fills up a bit each time you lose hp) and ways of using or even rolling their dice as well as their own series of 'episodes' to beat which mess with their abilities.  For instance most characters have a set amount of dice to roll which increases as they level up, typically your entire dice pool is auto-rolled at the start of each turn but with the robot character you have a target value which increases as you level up, you can keep rolling dice as long as you are below that total value and if you can get your roll total to add up to the target you'll get a jackpot and can use a special effect, but if you roll too high all of your unused cards will break for that turn making any unused dice useless.  You're incentivised to hold onto your dice for as long as possible by some cards which get more powerful with each new dice rolled.  In one of his episodes you're given a status effect for the entire run which forces you to discard any roll which matches an unused dice while still adding their value to your total.  'Episodes' are fairly quick to get through so it's a good one to jump in and out of, the short time commitment means you never feel all that cheated when you pull runs that you ultimately had no possible way of beating, which will happen occasionally because it's all ultimately random.  Solid recommendation. 

Nowhere Prophet is more of a 'hardcore' deck builder which will drag you in and hold your free time hostage.  It's much more involved as a deck-management game than DD, resource management too.  You're a nomad of sorts in a post apocalyptic cyberpunk world and you have to lead your followers/recruits who are represented as playable cards through the wasteland via battles and text-based scenarios.  You can choose which followers you take into battle with you, if a follower gets reduced to 0hp in combat it gains a wound, if a wounded follower gets reduced to 0hp in combat it dies and you lose that card forever.  You need to change your deck around a lot.  You also need to make sure you have enough food and 'hope' in stock to last your journey, otherwise you'll begin to lose followers without even battling.  But even if you're shrewd and stock up on plenty of both, sometimes you'll just randomly lose a follower to the plague or mutants or something in a text pop-up during a travelling phase because why not?  Sometimes that follower can be your best card which you've been carefully looking after through wounds and food shortages for most of the run.  So.  Much. Fun.  If you're into card battlers and text adventures confronting you with decisions which can and will impact your chances of succeeding you'll probably get a kick out of this one.  Another solid if not a little salty recommendation.

Those of you who are still after next gen consoles, definitely recommend following these on twitter and sticking notifications on for them

They are how I recently managed to get an Xbox and they seem to be one of the first to announce whenever stock is available - PS5s just announced

Edited by moore_94

1 hour ago, buzzer_b said:

I see The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is on offer on the PSN store for £6.99. Can anyone recommend this?

100%

Also get the expansions if you can.  I think I paid £7.99 for both at the time.

Another thing worth mentioning is the long awaited PS5 upgrade is due at some point in the first/second quarter of next year.  If you have a PS5, it might be worth holding off on getting too engrossed in it until then as once you start it will eat up your time as the story is very well told and you will want to keep going back for more.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

100%

Another thing worth mentioning is the long awaited PS5 upgrade is due at some point in the first/second quarter of next year.  If you have a PS5, it might be worth holding off on getting too engrossed in it until then as once you start it will eat up your time as the story is very well told and you will want to keep going back for more.

I only have a PS4 and doubt I will upgrade to the PS5 anytime soon but hearing that the game eats up time is music to my ears because I’m only currently playing one game atm (DBD) and I’ve lost my gaming appetite. 

41 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

My top game. Amazing.

55 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

100%

1 hour ago, Beliall said:

yes

Cheers for the advice guys. I’m guessing it’s one of those games that you can just jump straight into without playing any of the other Witcher games?

• Like 1