Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
indierich06

Realistic signings now we are up... (and some unrealistic ones)

Its interesting on these threads that nobody is suggesting a major makeover is needed, rather a few players here and there.  We have:

• Upcoming: Drinky, James, Moore, Mahrez, Wood, Knocky, De Laet, Vardy, Schlupp
  • Experience: Nugent, Morgan,  Was, Hammond, Phillips, GTF, King, Dyer, Konch

Assuming we sign the ones who need signing, you can make a case for all these being in the squad next year except Phillips who is likely moving to coaching.  You can imagine this squad finishing 15th or better, before any additions are made, and the quality is spread out, making us resistant to injury. That's an outstanding position to be in for a team just being promoted.  I think much stronger than anyone else who might join Leicester.  

All credit to Nige and the front office.  They have made Leicester into something other managers envy, which you hear in their post-match comments.  Imagine that - Leicester is a club to be envied.  Who would have thought that, even a year ago?

Also, if the Baggies do drop, how about a cheeky steal for the Return of the Mac ?? PL experience ? Aerial presence ? Possible he'd fancy a final swan-song at PL level ? Probably wouldn't cost much as a fee or on wages (comparatively) ??

Good shout. He'll even improve our record of scoring from set pieces.

I think we already have a good enough squad to stay up.

If we want to make sure and aspire to a mid-table finish (eugh), we need to sign 3 or 4 quality players.

The problem Pearson is going to have is bringing in these players and not disrupting the harmony in the squad. Having shipped out some of the overpaid, under-performing types from the Sven era, the last thing he'll want is a return to the two-tiered pay structure which undermined us.

If Cardiff can bring in Gary Medel, Norwich Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Sunderland Emanuele Giaccherini it should tell us 2 things:

1) Just by being in the top flight we will be capable of attracting players who have been top class elsewhere.

2) Just because they've done well elsewhere, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll be a success here. We need to tread carefully.

Chris Wood scored a shitload last season but has not been first choice this season because he does not fit into the team as a whole. Ruud van Nistelrooy scored a shitload for Man Utd but was moved on to benefit the team.

There is a reason that out of 5 or so Fulham managers Bent never lasted that long in their starting lineup. His appetite has gone and he jogs everywhere. He offers nothing else unless you offer it to him on a plate and even then his finishing these days leaves a lot to be desired.

Learn your lesson from the Beckford saga. Thinks hes better than he is.

What's Chris Wood got to do with it? I wasn't commenting on whether Bent would be a good signing for us, more the fact that you said he'd never done anything since Charlton when his record clearly suggests otherwise. 

And no need to preach to me about Beckford; I called that one from the start.

The biggest consideration for me is that we will have a lot of games next season where we will be on the back foot and would take a point. We haven't had to contend with that this season.

Playing the same 4-4-2 week in week out with Knocky and Mahrez out wide is probably not going to happen so it's vital that our signings can help us adapt to cope with games where we're under the cosh for long periods. Even away at places like Southampton, Newcastle, Stoke, Villa, West Ham, that could well be the situation.

I do see Hull's signing of Huddlestone as the benchmark. That doesn't necessarily mean signing a big lump to play defensive midfield. We haven't needed that kind of player this season for games like Millwall, but adding more Premier League experience could be important.

I have always rated Darren Bent, but he never seems to stay at football clubs for very long? Is he motivated? Does he want it? Team ethic? People in football (Pearson) will know!

As much as I like Darren Bent, he's not really lived up to the hype in recent years and has had rather mediocre seasons after leaving Charlton.

Plus, he's just celebrated his 30th birthday. I know it might sound harsh, but I can't tell whether he still has the desire to prove himself at that age.

His inflated wages will also be an issue.

Walsh always scouts in France, it's like he is scared of planes, so he uses the Channel Tunnel instead.

Anyway more names from Kingfox aka Leicester's next scout

CB - Johan Djourou, Kostas Manolas

CM - Mile Jedinak, Jem Karacan

WG - Anthony Mounier(French), Ikechi Anya

ST - Aron Johansson, Bogdan Stancu, Jonathan Soriano

Walsh always scouts in France, it's like he is scared of planes, so he uses the Channel Tunnel instead.

Anyway more names from Kingfox aka Leicester's next scout

CB - Johan Djourou, Kostas Manolas

CM - Mile Jedinak, Jem Karacan

WG - Anthony Mounier(French), Ikechi Anya

ST - Aron Johansson, Bogdan Stancu, Jonathan Soriano

If everything was as easy as playing Football Manager.

There's also way too few French names in there.

If Kasper goes I'd go for Tim Wiese on a free transfer or Adrian if West Ham go down.

In defence I'd go for a new left back in Aaron Cresswell. Centre Back to partner Wes, I am big fan or Wasyl and he can be a good player for us in the PL so can Moore. But,we need a CB that has played in the top flight perhaps Steven Caulker or either Johnny Heitinga or Brede Hangeland as Fulham are likely to go down. A right back as back up for RDL, John Brayford is a good shout. Yeah I know he never got a game at Cardiff, and is at Sheffield United. I believe he can be a decent player in the EPL.

Midfield: Scott Parker for his Premier League experience, Mats Daehli I rate him highly have seen him play and he is a good player if Cardiff go down I'd go for him. That lad has flair. Either Alex Pritchard or Alex Merkel as back up for Danny Drinkwater in midfield. Pritchard has impressed at Swindon and most Spurs fans rate him highly. Merkel, is a good player altough he has gone from playing in the Champions League for Milan to now playing for Watford in the Championship. I rate the lad.

Wingers:  Wilfried Zaha he needs to change his attitude he is talented though. Johnny Willams does not fit into Palace's style of football. Would have Ince but, don't want him polluting the KP each week.

Striker: Either Danny Ings or Ross McCormack.

This should get you all going but we only have about 4 or 5 players that have any chance of hanging in there for a Prem season - Kasper, Moore, DeLaet maybe Nugent off the bench and at a touch Vardy (which surprised me for sure - probably surprised himself as well). The rest would be lucky to get on the bench at any other Prem club and if we play them we are going straight back down - the best chance we have is that a combination of clever loans and bargain buys and a Pulis like approach to the division gives us a Palace style chance at survival - play like we did against Yeovil and we will get the record for lowest points for sure - don't be blinded - we have managed 12 shots on target in the past 3 games, against a weakened Burnley and two crap teams....it's gonna be tough

I wonder if our unofficial link with Anderlecht will help us... They have a 19 year old Serbian international with something like 13 goals in 24 games. His name's Aleksandar Mitrovic, he's about 6ft 3 and seems full of potential.

We don't have even the slightest semblance of a relationship with Anderlecht though. Their fans just like Wasyl.

Only GTF in that list has properly featured for us this season, so your point is irrelivant

Remember we will be playing less games next season and Pearson consistently starts with the same 11. We are not going to need a squad bigger than say 23 players.

I did forget about Logan, but then Pearson risks unsettling Kasper and the defence if he sparks a battle for the number 1 shirt.

Regardless of whether they've properly featured, they've been in and around the squad. Still, look at what you are saying though - you're saying that we're going to get rid of the back-up members of the squad and not replace them: we are not going to leave the squad as a bare-bones one for a prem campaign.

Archived