Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
indierich06

Realistic signings now we are up... (and some unrealistic ones)

The only positions I think that Nigel will definitely strengthen is out wide, central midfield and a left back. The thing with Pearson is he's not going to sign anybody for the sake of it. If he can't find anyone with the right attitude who'll aide our style of play that he won't sign them, he certainly won't sign a new striker because he's not sure that Vardy and Nugent are up to the job, they've got to be an improvement to what we've already got and most importantly, they've got to fit the squad.

I definitely think that a anchoring midfielder will be signed if we're to continue to play with 2 overlapping full backs. I think its very rare now that a lower premier league team will attempt to play an attacking brand of football without someone to sit and hold. Drinkwater definitely isn't that player and I have my reservations about James in that role. What we can be certain of this summer is the signings are most likely to be unexpected as they like to keep things exceptionally close to their chest. We may sign 1 player or we might sign 5 but I have confidence that all of them will improve the squad 

Maximum 3 signings. Wenger has always said this and I have to agree with him. You can't just buy a load and hope they stick (us, QPR, Spurs etc) but add just a couple (hull, Liverpool, Chelsea, man city etc). Three max in the summer and the window in Jan if needed.

Bardsley as experience and cover ? Not cos he might be playing tonight just think hes decent n solid.. couple of loanees too...

is the squad made up of 25 players plus unlimited u21s or do the u21s all need to be british? Not so sure

Maximum 3 signings. Wenger has always said this and I have to agree with him. You can't just buy a load and hope they stick (us, QPR, Spurs etc) but add just a couple (hull, Liverpool, Chelsea, man city etc). Three max in the summer and the window in Jan if needed.

Maybe that's where Wenger went wrong though? All the teams you mentioned had big overhauls before getting success. Hull signed 6 in the summer as well.

I would love to see Marko Marin play for us, not wanted by Chelsea but unlikely he would come to us, and he would demand high wages, so looking at the thread title it's not realistic.

What is good and is reflected in all the posts here is the faith we have in Pearson's transfer dealings and the ability of the scouts to unearth some gems from abroad.

It's going to be an exciting summer preparing for the Prem.

Just a thought, if we are thinking of buying players from the Prem or Championship we will be paying over the odds compared to equivalent players from abroad, playing in England seems to add a million or 2 onto transfer fees.

And, I put this on another thread i expect us not to sign anybody who demands a relegation clause in their contract, it shows zero loyalty to the club and would ruin our great team spirit.

Would Bolton swap Mark Davies for Neil Danns? Or is his contact up anyway?

Back up keeper

Full back

CB

CM

Winger

Striker

Basically 1 of every position. Keep the core of the squad together but you have to assume that several will leave (Danns, Gallagher, SSL, GTF, Phillips, and possibly more). Got to look to improve every area, however well we're doing/looking.

Agree with you on this. It takes time for players to gel into a team so bringing in too many players could disrupt the chemistry. That being said, I'm sure there's good arguments for both sides.

We wont get Caulker. Tottenham have been sniffing around to take him back, and they'd be ahead of us by a long way if we both wanted him.

I'd be tempted to take Liam Ridgewell from West Brom if he's available on a free (transfermarkt has him down as 'club option 1 year'). Has prem experience, unlike Cresswell.

Marc Albrighton from Villa would be worth a shout, too.

Always liked Connor Wickham but just read this about him on tonight's match report-

It has to be said Connor Wickham has struggled to make any sort of impact for Sunderland. It is the striker's first home appearance since being recalled from a loan spell at Leeds United and has yet to have a shot either on or off target. Maybe time for a rethink?

Wickham moved to the north east from Ipswich for 8m in 2011 and has scored just one goal since.

And now I am not so sure.

Sorry mate.. do you mean Wenger who hasn't won any silverware for 9 years and then splashed out 45 mill on what looks to be something of a flop?

That's a model that has made money but being in football is about winning things also.

First post, be kind.

IMO the players we have that are good enough to play regularly; Schmichael (not actually convinced he will be with us though), Morgan, Konch, Drinkwater, Knockaert, Wood (Technically our best striker, with games, could prove decent)

The ones who can do a job; De Laet (not good enough defensively) Moore (needs more experience and a few more years) King, James, Mahrez (potentially decent) Nugent, Schlupp & Vardy (could all be effective off the bench)

As for potential signings i would like to see....

Dorans - Would sit nicely, especially as we play some decent stuff these days.

Bent - He will score goals - and with Knockaert and Mahrez getting better, we have the flair to create chances...

Hangaland (SP) - Not quick I know, but better than Morgan.

Zaha - Do i need to say more?

Hoolahan - can go missing but under rated IMO

Austin - convinced he can step up

But the one signing I would kill for is Kieran Trippier - one of the top three players outside the PL, however he is young and English and according to reports, if Man U sign Seamus Coleman, he is on the way to Goodison.....

Powell

Mikel

Caulker

Borini

Berahinio

Mikel?! Maybe if Chelsea are happy to pay the other £70k of his weekly wage!

Johnson is a little bit more realistic but again, are we going to pay the same wages Sunderland pay him? He's prob on at least 50k a week.

I can't see us signing many if any established Prem players - their wages would be just to high for us imho.

Sorry mate.. do you mean Wenger who hasn't won any silverware for 9 years and then splashed out 45 mill on what looks to be something of a flop?

That's a model that has made money but being in football is about winning things also.

I think he means the Wenger who is infinitely more successful than any manager we have had, qualified for the CL on a limited budget, unearths fantastic players and to this day competes with billionaires.

The man is so much more qualified on how to build a squad than anybody here. If he had as few injuries as his rivals in the past few seasons they'd probably still be top of the league.

The majority of prem teams do not play 442 ie play 3 central midfielders and a striker who can ply up front alone my guess is?

aleft back

a central midfielder different and may link with Drinkwater/James

a  goalscoring striker who is comfortable playing  up front alone (linked with 2 this season  Djorectic? Jenko?

Archived