Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
indierich06

Realistic signings now we are up... (and some unrealistic ones)

Are all the people saying they want St Ledger to get a new contract on Twitter part of some early April fool's day thing I'm missing?

Hes an Ireland international. Had a couple of solid spells for us which were ended because of injury not form.

Gets an unfair rep because he made one or two mistakes.

We need a new left back or 2.  Would love Bertrand here but I reckon he will end up at Southampton as a makeweight for Luke Shaw to Chelsea.  Think we may find a couple of new centre backs and another keeper or 2.  Have a feeling Nige will keep the midfield and front men as they are, perhaps 1 big signing up front.  The lad from Metz on Babylons video is a shit hot finisher.  I have no idea if anyone else is after him or not but from You Tube looks excellent.  Never heard of him before.

I think the positions we need to strengthen in for the starting eleven are a CM who can keep the ball and someone who can effectively link the midfield and striker, be it a withdrawn striker or attacking mid. I don't play FM or FIFA so I can't name names.

As always, we need adequate cover with quality in every position.

Dunno how willing he'd be to leave Reims who are currently 7th in Ligue 1 but Grzegorz Krychowiak is a relatively young (24), defensively minded midfielder who can put himself about a bit. He's a Polish international who will be in the final year of his contract next season. He's really good in the air and would give us a threat from set plays also.

A couple of players who have played against us recently, Craig Conway and Shane Duffy, might also be of interest. We were after Duffy at the start of this season if I remember correctly.

To many unrealistic targets mentioned, Caulker for example has been one of the highest scoring defenders in the league. He is being linked back with Tottenham, do we honestly think we have a chance?

Ironically do think we are going to need another centre back though.

I think the fact he's paid a wedge for being mostly shit doesn't help either. If he gets a new contract at City it will be as Events Organiser.

CB- Lescott would be top billing but its a position we need to cover

LB- Have liked Marcos Alonso in his spell for Sunderland this season. Not sure of his status at end of season. Pablo Armero is on loan to West Ham and will be playing for Colombia in the world cup. Vast experience and may be available.

CM (cover)- A couple of shouts that i think would do us no harm as cover in the engine room would be Wilson Palacios and Graham Dorrans. Both would be good squad men.

Box of tricks- A few suggestions: Gnabry on loan from Arsenal would light up the KP, Zaha would be an obvious candidate, Scott Sinclair's career has gone sideways and he is another exciting player to keep tabs on.

Striker- My choice would be Kolbeinn Sigthorsson, the Icelandic international playing for Ajax.Got all the attributes for me, knows where the net is, and is doing it on the international scene too.

Back up GK

Back up RB

CB (maybe x2)

LB

CM (bigger, more imposing CM than we have. Someone like a Mulumbu or Yacob at WBA) - that would leave DD, King, James, Hammond and said CM

1 or 2 Wingers

Big name Striker to add to Wood, Vardy and Nugent

Players I would like to see us to sign:

Caulker

Cresswell

Nick Powell

(McCormack - purely due to amount of goals scored in such a poor team!)

Zaha

Steele

Djordjevic

There's definitely more prospects but I do forget...

But looking at Southampton's squad now vs. the Championship (and even League one):

Schneiderlin

Cork

Fonte

Lambert

Lallana

Ward-Prowse

Shaw

Kelvin Davis

All of those were present both in Championship and now in the PL. That's a core of players around which a squad has been built. For me, we could easily do this:

Schmeichel

Morgan

Moore

Drinkwater

Knockaert

Mahrez

Vardy

James/Wood

We have a good core to the squad but we still need to add serious quality within our ranks to stay up and hopefully establish ourselves.

Signings like Jay Rodriguez, Gaston Ramirez and Steven Davis wouldn't go amiss!

Back up GK

Back up RB

CB (maybe x2)

LB

CM (bigger, more imposing CM than we have. Someone like a Mulumbu or Yacob at WBA) - that would leave DD, King, James, Hammond and said CM

1 or 2 Wingers

Big name Striker to add to Wood, Vardy and Nugent

Players I would like to see us to sign:

Caulker

Cresswell

Nick Powell

(McCormack - purely due to amount of goals scored in such a poor team!)

Zaha

Steele

Djordjevic

There's definitely more prospects but I do forget...

But looking at Southampton's squad now vs. the Championship (and even League one):

Schneiderlin

Cork

Fonte

Lambert

Lallana

Ward-Prowse

Shaw

Kelvin Davis

All of those were present both in Championship and now in the PL. That's a core of players around which a squad has been built. For me, we could easily do this:

Schmeichel

Morgan

Moore

Drinkwater

Knockaert

Mahrez

Vardy

James/Wood

We have a good core to the squad but we still need to add serious quality within our ranks to stay up and hopefully establish ourselves.

Signings like Jay Rodriguez, Gaston Ramirez and Steven Davis wouldn't go amiss!

Cattermole/Barry

Bertrand

Caulker

and I reckon thais will spend stupid money on a well known striker like Eduardo  

I think the last two seasons have shown the club's moved past that kind of immaturity. And it's Pearson who picks the players, not the owners.

A lot of people seem very ambitious on this thread. I'd get a lot of satisfaction from a dull transfer window of signing a bunch of 'nobodies' who went and proved the majority wrong. Again.

we need quaity and experience and those come at a price and i know people think no way will that guy come to us but i know they have gone bust now but portsmouth attracted some quality . 

id like to see some hidden gems come to the club that will not only do us proud but will also increase in value 

i dont want to see some player who is at the end of his career and looking for a last big pay day. 

Think we need the following to supplement our current squad (and bearing in mind the players who will on their way out):

Back-up GK, starting LB, back-up RB, strong CB, midfield beast, winger, striker - so at least 7 players.

Byron for competition at right-back, Cresswell for left-back, if Cardiff go down then Caulker would be a shout. Mutch as others have mentioned would be another good signing. Looking at some Prem teams and the physicality of the league, the one type of player I'd love us to sign is a physical 6'3"+ centre midfielder - someone with presence in the middle: basically a poor man's Toure... Play them alongside Drinky and James/King so they can work their magic and I'd be confident we could do well.

Going to be one interesting summer and I can't wait to see what Nige and co. do with the cash.

I agree with most of what you are suggesting is needed.  RB i am not so sure of as De Laet will be first choice in the PL I believe and then you have Liam Moore as backup at CB and RB and then you also Have Wes, even though his pace will not be good enough in the PL and RB.

The other roles are what i also would be looking to.  Your description of the mid field beast sounds like my Aussie mate Mile Jedinak at Palace.  He is now captain and controls what happens on the park.  So yes, if we do go and get that type of player it will require a different style of play rather than 4-4-2.

I think we will play some if not most games at home starting at 4-4-2.  we don't play a tradtional 4-4-2 anyway it is a very free lowing and flexible style, but when you have a midfield general like a Toure or Lucas at Liverpool 4-4-2 just won't cut it.

Hes an Ireland international. Had a couple of solid spells for us which were ended because of injury not form.

He gets a bad rep because he is absolutely NOT the sort of player to have in the dressing room...

You hear so many stories and think "That cant be true" but they are... 

Watch the peterborough united documentary where Ron atkinson went in there to try and save them as an advisor, Sledge was an absolute Cnut then... Thought he was the dogs bollocks and caused an 11 man brawl in the dressing room at half time in a match.... and another smaller fight after a match on another occasion.

Had so much ability a few years ago.. but a complete cock.

Archived