Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Leonardo Ulloa (Brighton) - Bid accepted

Not a chance. It depends on much more than height. A "target man" needs to be able to read play, have good anticipation of the balls movement, good spatial awareness, strength, jumping ability, control/touch etc. Jamie Vardy is better in the air than Chris Wood and he's much shorter. Marko Futacs is one of the biggest strikers I've seen play for Leicester City and he was dire. If all things are equal then yes height is a factor but it's not the most important thing by a long stretch.

Agreed, Tim Cahill use to win an awful lot of headers despite his height

If Ulloa put in a transfer request I think we'd get him for a lot less then £5 million. The questions are, is he really that loyal to Brighton that he'd turn down a chance to play in the Premiership? Is he questioning his own ability to succeed at a higher level, under a big price tag and the pressure that comes with it? I'm not so sure he even wants to come here, that's what worries me about this, not the price tag!

If Ulloa put in a transfer request I think we'd get him for a lot less then £5 million. The questions are, is he really that loyal to Brighton that he'd turn down a chance to play in the Premiership? Is he questioning his own ability to succeed at a higher level, under a big price tag and the pressure that comes with it?

If he hands in a transfer request I definitely wouldn't want him here. 

I've heard Lambert from Southampton to Liverpool for £4M plus add-ons, done deal.. If true, then what price Ulloa?

( Not had that deal verified to me yet ).

Edit:- Seems to be true, Lambert having medical on Saturday. 32 years old, two year deal.

( And we've had an offer of £5M turned down for Ulloa ??????????????????????).

I've highlighted the key part, by the end of next season he's going to be 33... if he was 27 then the fee would be 3 or 4 times what they are paying.

I've highlighted the key part, by the end of next season he's going to be 33... if he was 27 then the fee would be 3 or 4 times what they are paying.

Agree with that. But then you also have to take into account that Lambert has scored at the top level and ulloa hasn't

For both our sakes I hope you keep hold of him then!

I just don't understand why people have so little faith in the management to put together the team THEY want.

They just put a team together that romped to the title breaking records left right and centre, yet people who have probably seen him play half a dozen times think they know better.

It might not work out if he signs, but seeing as the management will have thought this through and have more information available to them than anyone on here they are in a much better position to choose.

Agree with that. But then you also have to take into account that Lambert has scored at the top level and ulloa hasn't

I'm sure they have, and that will be why he's going for £4m rather than about 500k that someone of his age would fetch in the champ.

I would be very disappointed if we shelled out that sort of cash for Lambert. Not much different to

Andy Carroll except the latter is a few years lighter.

Ulloa would be a quality addition. Would complement our style as well as giving more of an aerial threat. It is rare that you get a big man who is also technically very good. He would be a Premier hit.

I take your point, up to a point, but exaggeration is not really necessary. 

What's an exaggeration?

Look at the top scorers list https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/premier-league/top-goalscorers.html

You wouldn't get much change out of £12m for any of the top 20 if they were 27 or younger. In fact most would go for a lot more now.

Ulloa is the type of striker in the last few years that has stepped up and done OK. Like Holt (first season) and Lambert.

If Nigel think this is the way to go, I'm with him. I think we'll get him for around £6 million. If he get us 10+ goals it will be worth it.

I just don't understand why people have so little faith in the management to put together the team THEY want.

They just put a team together that romped to the title breaking records left right and centre, yet people who have probably seen him play half a dozen times think they know better.

It might not work out if he signs, but seeing as the management will have thought this through and have more information available to them than anyone on here they are in a much better position to choose.

I do have faith and agree that he COULD be useful. The thing that worries me is how Brighton are holding us to ransom for a player completely untested at our level and that from what I've seen is no better than what we have already. If he is a target for the purpose of being a squad player then fair enough but not at more than £5m. Personally I think we need a quality striker with at least some experience in a top division in this country or another to go into the new season with.

Archived