Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2014/15 Stuff it in here.

For a player who will be England's left back for years to come, has bags of potential and you'll be able to get about 15 years out of him, not a bad price.

Bingo. You're buying a quality player now who will only get better. I can genuinely see him becoming one of the best LBs in the world, he is exceptional for his age.

Jordi Alba, maybe the 2nd or 3rd best Left Back (when fit) in the world behind Alaba, cost Barcelona 14million euros. Luke Shaw, who has had 1 and a half good seasons for Southampton is going to cost Manchester United £30million, that £500,000 for every Premier League appearance he's made.

Until English players aren't so overpriced it is seriously going to hurt English football on the international stage. Look at Lallana for example, he could have gone to one of the best clubs in the league, with a manager who would get the best out of him but Liverpool have been priced out of the move and have instead gone abroad to get some as good, in Shaqiri, for £10million less.

If the best English players aren't playing for the best teams they can then it'll only hurt their development in the future, Lallana could have been something special if he had Rodgers as manager.

It all stems from Premier League clubs having too much money and power in the first place. If Southampton feel that they don't need to take under £30mil for Shaw then why would they sell him for under that? The only people they're spiting is themselves.

It's the fact that clubs like Southampton actually have the power to hold out for such crazy money that is a problem. Seriously - £55mil nowadays gets you Shaw and Lallana? It's laughable. I like both of them but if I was paying that much I'd be wanting the likes of Filipe Luis and Koke.

Guest MattP

You know we are achieving new levels of madness when buying Luke Shaw for 30million is classed as good value, to say they have got him for 15 years might be true or it might not, he can still walk away if he doesn't sign a new deal.

And if he does become one of the best in the World over that time and period and stays if you knock on wages, signing on fees bonuses etc you'll be coming to about 150million for his services.

As Dan says, for 55 million I'd want two World Class footballers, not a 18 year old with a handful of games and man who can't displace Danny Welbeck from the England team.

I don't see the problem with foreigners in the premier league. That's what makes it the best league in the world. If it makes your team better what's the problem

It's far from the best league in the World. We'll never ever see Leicester win it, and that's sad. There's too much money involved meaning the same teams compete for the title every year - mainly Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United.

It needs abolishing and we need to go back to Division 1, 2, 3 and 4. To me, it was summed up by Paul Lambert who said he'd rather stay up (£££) than compete in the World's greatest domestic cup competition. 

It's far from the best league in the World. We'll never ever see Leicester win it, and that's sad. There's too much money involved meaning the same teams compete for the title every year - mainly Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United.

It needs abolishing and we need to go back to Division 1, 2, 3 and 4. To me, it was summed up by Paul Lambert who said he'd rather stay up (£££) than compete in the World's greatest domestic cup competition.

it certainly is. All the other top leagues have 2 teams competing every year. At least in England we have City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham. I'm not saying players are worth what they are because they're not. But if teams are willing to pay over the odds let them.

That's going to be the case all around the world though, very few leagues where 15 or so teams could win the league. Look how Liverpool dominated the league for 30 years before the Premier League, with clubs like Forest, Derby, Leeds and Arsenal winning it intermittently. Now, we have Man United, with Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal able to win it now and then, and Blackburn as a one off. In terms of numbers, there isn't a huge difference with one dominant team and then challengers winning it sparsely.

I think people get a little misty-eyed about the past, I'm sure people would've enjoyed going to matches more and had more freedom but I'm not sure the ability to win the league was a lot different to most clubs now.

I do agree that the money has brought about an attitude where the bare minimum is acceptable and, worse still, not bothering with trying to win trophies is encouraged. I hope we give the cups a go and the excuse that others don't bother won't wash.

I'd like to know which leagues you think are better than the premier league? Yes there are too many foreigners which is impacting English players, but unfortunately that's the price to pay when there is so much money involved.

And yes it is a shame that managers are aiming to fail in cup competitions to preserve premier league status, but you can see why they would (Would Portsmouth of changed their cup win for barely scraping by in the premier league?) 

I'm not doubting Luke Shaw's ability but £30m is ridiculous. Same goes with the price tag of Lallana.

No wonder teams are looking abroad. You can't blame them when they can sign players at the same/better level of ability for half the price.

The proposed price tags of both Shaw and Lallana again demonstrate the barminess of contemporary Premiership football.

Neither are world class footballers, neither could even make it into the failure that was the England first team.

Yet they could both sell for a combined fee of nearly 60 million pounds.

Words pretty much fail me.

In fact, its so ridiculous it can't be talked about with any semblance of rationale.

The proposed price tags of both Shaw and Lallana again demonstrate the barminess of contemporary Premiership football.

Neither are world class footballers, neither could even make it into the failure that was the England first team.

In fact, its so ridiculous it can't be talked about with any semblance of rationale.

Absolutely spot on Col

Fooking nuts it is

Crazy ain't it! Then you have Alexis Sanchez linked for little more than Lallana. If clubs like Liverpool and United want to pay these over inflated prices for decent premier league english players then it will continue

it certainly is. All the other top leagues have 2 teams competing every year. At least in England we have City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham. I'm not saying players are worth what they are because they're not. But if teams are willing to pay over the odds let them.

I love it when people throw Tottenham into this argument. They don't compete for the title. They've only scraped top four a couple of times. That's like saying Valencia or Sevilla compete for the Spanish title.

You've named six teams, only three of which have won the title in the past 10 years.

There was a three-way title race down to the last couple of weeks in Spain alone last season.

Italy - Milan, Inter and Juve have won the title in the last ten years, and Roma, Napoli, Udinese and Lazio have all finished in the top three during the same period.

I love it when people throw Tottenham into this argument. They don't compete for the title. They've only scraped top four a couple of times. That's like saying Valencia or Sevilla compete for the Spanish title.

You've named six teams, only three of which have won the title in the past 10 years.

There was a three-way title race down to the last couple of weeks in Spain alone last season.

Italy - Milan, Inter and Juve have won the title in the last ten years, and Roma, Napoli, Udinese and Lazio have all finished in the top three during the same period.

At some stage in the last 20 years Ligue 1 had 7 different winners in 7 years

I'd like to know which leagues you think are better than the premier league? Yes there are too many foreigners which is impacting English players, but unfortunately that's the price to pay when there is so much money involved.

And yes it is a shame that managers are aiming to fail in cup competitions to preserve premier league status, but you can see why they would (Would Portsmouth of changed their cup win for barely scraping by in the premier league?) 

I'd say La Liga's a better standard of football and I'd say the Bundesliga's a better league from a match-going fan's point of view.

I'd say La Liga's a better standard of football and I'd say the Bundesliga's a better league from a match-going fan's point of view.

Agreed, the defending is mostly shit.

they may not win it but they are a big challenge. Just because you don't win the league doesn't mean you are going for the title. They've been near the top for years.

Archived