Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

James McArthur

Our advantage over Wigan financially is that we have greater earning power as a Prem Club so the fact is £7-8m means a lot less to us than it does to them, which means that they will drive that price up in any way they can including getting into a bidding war with Burnley in the papers.

Getting into a bidding war with Burnley is not something I'm worried about. Picture a Ferrari having a race with a Morris Minor.

Could see us getting both Cambiasso and McArthur. I find it odd that Whelan has leaked our bid. Bet Nige us fuming. He'll be lining up a head but at Whelan! He clearly wants to sell McArthur and wants to spark a bidding war. I agree we desperately need signings but I also agree with Nige that we shouldn't be held to ransom. I'd go back with a final bid of £6.5m as I don't reckon he's worth more than that.

It would be interesting to know how Wigan stand with FFP. I suspect they need to lose someone who is on a good wage and worth a decent transfer fee to avoid issues. It's alright for Whelan to try to bump up McArthur's price but he knows that, if there are FFP issues then he needs to get the money in before the transfer window closes and the clock's ticking!

I don't disagree with anything you have just said, but who here is in full knowledge of all the possible tangents.  How can anyone on here possibly come up with a figure.  None of us know who else is available to buy, what our budget is, how many players we are looking to buy, what the player's wage demands are, agents fees, signing on fees, lengths of contract, other buyers interested in the same player........the list is endless.

Yet we have people suggesting he is worth "no more than £7 million".  How could they possibly know what this player or any other player is worth or what value he has?

I think we should offer £5,479,513.........based on everything I know about running a football club & negotiating a transfer, i.e. nothing!!

Then maybe I've misunderstood your original point.

The fact is, we know virtually nothing about the background work or context of a transfer, all we do know is the media reported price, which is often inflated to make a story anyway.

Therefore I don't get too excited about the price tags.  I trust the current management at the club to be getting value.

:thumbup:

Getting into a bidding war with Burnley is not something I'm worried about. Picture a Ferrari having a race with a Morris Minor.

We can outbid Burnley, but I would prefer not to have to try.

Whelan has clearly made this public to let every other club know that they are willing to sell him, so get your bids in.

I do find the whole process odd. You wouldn't do it in any other walk of life.

"How much is that apple...?"

"Not telling you, you're going to make an offer?"

"Oh, ok, erm 20p?"

"Oooh, a good offer but no."

"So, erm, 25p?"

"Another good offer, but no, just so you know the shop shuts at 5pm, so why don't you go away and come back with a better offer."

"But what if someone else wants to buy it?"

"I can't make any guarantees, if someone meets my valuation I'll sell."

"What's your valuation?"

"Not telling."

"30p and I'll give you my orange?"

"A good offer and I want to sell it to you, I do, come back at 5."

5 o'clock, interior a gravelly throated ginge storms out as you enter muttering something about market leaders.

"So how about that apple?"

"Well I've had an offer of £3.79 from Droopy the Dog, he said he heard how you were after the apple and really wanted it."

"How did he hear that?"

"I might have let it slip while he was buying some past their sell by date pears." 

"Well all the other shops are shut now, £3.80?" 

"Sold! Here you go... hang on... sorry mate doesn't want to go with you... doesn't think you are going to put him in the middle of the fruit bowl and isn't happy with the location of the fruit bowl, and looking at the rest of your shopping he thinks you lack ambition."

Whelan has clearly made this public to let every other club know that they are willing to sell him, so get your bids in.

"How much is that apple...?"

"Oh, ok, erm 20p?"

"So, erm, 25p?"

"Another good offer, but no, just so you know the shop shuts at 5pm, so why don't you go away and come back with a better offer."

"What's your valuation?"

"Not telling."

5 o'clock, interior a gravelly throated ginge storms out as you enter muttering something about market leaders.

"Well I've had an offer of £3.79 from Droopy the Dog, he said he heard how you were after the apple and really wanted it."

"How did he hear that?"

"I might have let it slip while he was buying some past their sell by date pears."

"Well all the other shops are shut now, £3.80?"

"Sold! Here you go... hang on... sorry mate doesn't want to go with you... doesn't think you are going to put him in the middle of the fruit bowl and isn't happy with the location of the fruit bowl, and looking at the rest of your shopping he thinks you lack ambition."

lol quite possibly the best metaphor I have ever seen

"How much is that apple...?"

"Oh, ok, erm 20p?"

"So, erm, 25p?"

"What's your valuation?"

"Not telling."

"How did he hear that?"

"I might have let it slip while he was buying some past their sell by date pears." 

"Well all the other shops are shut now, £3.80?" 

"Sold! Here you go... hang on... sorry mate doesn't want to go with you... doesn't think you are going to put him in the middle of the fruit bowl and isn't happy with the location of the fruit bowl, and looking at the rest of your shopping he thinks you lack ambition."

Is that how Grocery Shopping works  lol

Wigan now reported to be talking to Andy Delort! Last thing I saw was that Charlton couldn't agree a fee with Tours, who were looking for around €5m. I think Whelan's acceptable fee is....Forshaw fee + Delort fee + a drink for 'big Dave', and McArthur will be on the Pie Eater Express down to the KP.

£5 mill seems reasonable to me. We're gonna get shafted I fear, and it might not be the only time over the next week.

I don't understand the issue everyone is having with the cost of players. If we pay £10 mil for this lad, so what?

if the owners, the manager and Terry and happy with the fee then that's all that matter. its their money, and if we pay it its because we can afford it.

Captain has ripped that analogy off Project Babb and their Ed Woodward sketch.

Tut, tut.....

I don't even know what half those words mean.

I have never seen that sketch, trust me if I had it would have been much quicker to post it on here than write all that out.

It's quite obvious Whelan is keen to do business. I hope we're pushing Cambiasso for an answer with this as back-up. I want this all wrapped up before the weekend.

I fancy getting 'em both Ricardo! Need this transfer window done, its effecting my work and drinking in the evening

Archived