Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

James McArthur

If you're spending 5 million on a midfielder they have got to offer more than our current midfielders do, and from what I've seen he doesn't. So unless we have a long term injury we've not been told about this isn't a good move. For that money we should  be looking at an attacking midfielder or support striker to compete with Nugent.

We have plenty of people to play those roles whereas we are short in central midfield.

Also, who are we going to sign who can push James, Drinkwater, Hammond and King for the kind of fees we paid for them?  We probably would not, unless we were very lucky, be improving the team by spending £1 million.

Context also plays a part in a signing.  We are newly in the PL, we are desperate for midfielders, it is approaching the end of the transfer window:  we should pay what it costs for the right player.

I'd go 6.5 million maximum. Think McArthur and Drinky would be our two starters, with James and King competing for the third spot. Can see Hammond warming the bench a lot if this goes through.

If we sign McArthur, we'll need probably two more players and then we'll be set IMO. Another striker and a utility man in defence, then I think we'll be good.

Wouldn't have him over James after he's lost his usual early season excess weight.

Wood to go in part-ex ? We know that Wigan were keen and even though Nige has said that, "he's happy to stay to fight for his place", a deal to get a needed central midfielder in, might be more essential than a reserve striker - especially if there are other 'irons in the fire' up front (ie reported links with other strikers). That would cut McArthurs' price by a couple of million AND encourage Whelan to sell.

But Wigan have Waghorn! Why would they need another striker. Oh wait.....

I see what you're saying, but we're going into the last week of the transfer window, we desperately need cover all over the team but clubs are going to be reluctant to sell anyone this close to the deadline, so prices will be inflated. In reality, yes he's only worth £4/5million, but £7/8 million may be what it takes to prise him away at this point. If we'd made an offer earlier in the summer, maybe things would be different.

I agree yeah. I'd genuinely like to see us sign this lad as I think he has real quality and would fit right in to our system/team.

Maybe we'll just have to get used to clubs taking the piss and trying to get as much out of us as possible. In this case James McArthur is probably one of the first names on Wigan's team sheet so you can understand why they wan't more than £5mil. And going by Dave Whelan's quote it sounds like he's prepared to do business so that's a positive

Is this a consequence of our owners saying they're gonna spend £180mil? lol 

some of you are crazy with prices!

A few weeks ago this would have been our record signing and you'd have been screaming blue murder.

"I'd go to £7 million"  lol

Where are people getting these figures & what are they basing them on?

I would love to negotiate a deal with some of the people on here........where value means nothing & money is just a number.

If you're spending 5 million on a midfielder they have got to offer more than our current midfielders do, and from what I've seen he doesn't. So unless we have a long term injury we've not been told about this isn't a good move. For that money we should  be looking at an attacking midfielder or support striker to compete with Nugent.

Why do they have to be better?  £5M is peanuts in Premier League land.

I agree yeah. I'd genuinely like to see us sign this lad as I think he has real quality and would fit right in to our system/team.

Maybe we'll just have to get used to clubs taking the piss and trying to get as much out of us as possible. In this case James McArthur is probably one of the first names on Wigan's team sheet so you can understand why they wan't more than £5mil. And going by Dave Whelan's quote it sounds like he's prepared to do business so that's a positive

Is this a consequence of our owners saying they're gonna spend £180mil? lol

It's probably a bit of that, yeah. That, added to the fact we are nearing the end of the window will definatley mean we will have to pay over the odds for players over the next week. It is pivotal that we do, otherwise our squad will just not be strong enough to endure a whole premier league season. But Whelen sounding like he's willing to do business is definatly a positive sign.

Would you not agree that we are slightly more desperate for reinforcements than a few weeks ago? Not to mention the window shuts in less than a week.

Strange question formation. bit like a 3-1-3-3-1.

My answer is either Yes, I would not agree or No I wouldn't agree. Take your preference.

We've needed the same number and quality of players throughout the period. we either get them or we don't but I don't think we're desperate at all.

If we had bid £3M then people would be saying "I'd go to about £5M but no more."

and 2 weeks ago they'd have said £3m for a championship player, he's worth no more than £1m. I'd prefer Cambiasso. or something like like.

Strange question formation. bit like a 3-1-3-3-1.

My answer is either Yes, I would not agree or No I wouldn't agree. Take your preference.

We've needed the same number and quality of players throughout the period. we either get them or we don't but I don't think we're desperate at all.

Not sure if that was meant to be humour but on to your second point, GTF in central midfield shows me we are reasonably desperate. Prices will increase the closer we get to the end of the window and at this point depth is more important than a slightly overinflated transfer fee.

"I'd go to £7 million"  lol

Where are people getting these figures & what are they basing them on?

I would love to negotiate a deal with some of the people on here........where value means nothing & money is just a number.

Value means everything.  How valuable to us is a player who can shore up our depleted midfield?

Also, value is contextual to a far greater extent to football transfers than anything else I can think of.  For instance, gold prices will fluctuate to a certain extent but if you buy gold, you are certain that it will always have some value. 

A decent player's price will at first appreciate and eventually decline.  The purchase price buys the service they can perform for a club rather than any tangible object.  This service will be more or less valuable in time and will be more or less essential to each bidding club.  There is also a distortion of the market, the transfer window, which effects the price too.

So the purchase price is very flexible.  

Always been impressed with him and surprised he stayed with Wigan when they went down.  5million is spot on in my opinion.  Anything over 6million is a joke!

Reading between the lines, it seems he wants to be in the Prem but Whelan doesn't necessarily need the money. Could be forced to overpay!

Value means everything.  How valuable to us is a player who can shore up our depleted midfield?

Also, value is contextual to a far greater extent to football transfers than anything else I can think of.  For instance, gold prices will fluctuate to a certain extent but if you buy gold, you are certain that it will always have some value. 

A decent player's price will at first appreciate and eventually decline.  The purchase price buys the service they can perform for a club rather than any tangible object.  This service will be more or less valuable in time and will be more or less essential to each bidding club.  There is also a distortion of the market, the transfer window, which effects the price too.

So the purchase price is very flexible.  

I don't disagree with anything you have just said, but who here is in full knowledge of all the possible tangents.  How can anyone on here possibly come up with a figure.  None of us know who else is available to buy, what our budget is, how many players we are looking to buy, what the player's wage demands are, agents fees, signing on fees, lengths of contract, other buyers interested in the same player........the list is endless.

Yet we have people suggesting he is worth "no more than £7 million".  How could they possibly know what this player or any other player is worth or what value he has?

I think we should offer £5,479,513.........based on everything I know about running a football club & negotiating a transfer, i.e. nothing!!

Archived