Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

James McArthur

Whilst I agree that James and Drinkwater are our best two CMs, I don't think they should be picked automatically when they're available. Since King and Hammond have played so well so far, they deserve to keep their places. Anyone else should have to fight for their place and earn it.

Of course they have to fight for their place and earn it, but Leicester City without Drinkwater isn't as good. He makes us tick. James for me is an even better player, and I hope he's straight back in the side when fit. Even if Nugent had scored at Chelsea, if Vardy was fit id prefer to see him in the side against Arsenal at Nugent's expense. Because he's a better more dangerous player and sets the tempo for how we play. It's my opinion.

Of course they have to fight for their place and earn it, but Leicester City without Drinkwater isn't as good. He makes us tick. James for me is an even better player, and I hope he's straight back in the side when fit. Even if Nugent had scored at Chelsea, if Vardy was fit id prefer to see him in the side against Arsenal at Nugent's expense. Because he's a better more dangerous player and sets the tempo for how we play. It's my opinion.

And a very good opinion it is, totally agree

I'm concerned you are talking about their partnership without even mentioning or considering king and hammond.

Both James and Drinkwater will have to earn their place back in the side. King and Hammond thoroughly deserve to stay in the starting line up if they carry on with performances like the first two games.

We still haven't won a match can I point out.

They have done ok but Hammond starting when Drinkwater and James are fit? Come on now, they're in a different parish to him.

I do see what you mean. I just think it sends a bad message to players if you drop them for someone returning to fitness, despite their great form.

With James and Drinkwater, I'd put them on the bench asap, and bring them on for the last 20-30 mins whenever possible. I'd only pick them to start when their form is better than King's or Hammond's. Otherwise, I'd worry about morale. How do you think King would feel if you dropped him right now? I can't quite believe how well he's been playing. He deserves to keep his place. Same goes for Hammond. As much as I think James and Drinkwater are excellent players, I really don't see how they could have done any better than King or Hammond have so far.

With Nugent, I'd be happy to pick Vardy ahead of him when fit since he's had a pretty average start. I think Nugent would probably agree with that.

They have done ok but Hammond starting when Drinkwater and James are fit? Come on now, they're in a different parish to him.

I do see what you mean. I just think it sends a bad message to players if you drop them for someone returning to fitness, despite their great form.

With James and Drinkwater, I'd put them on the bench asap, and bring them on for the last 20-30 mins whenever possible. I'd only pick them to start when their form is better than King's or Hammond's. Otherwise, I'd worry about morale. How do you think King would feel if you dropped him right now? I can't quite believe how well he's been playing. He deserves to keep his place. Same goes for Hammond. As much as I think James and Drinkwater are excellent players, I really don't see how they could have done any better than King or Hammond have so far.

With Nugent, I'd be happy to pick Vardy ahead of him when fit since he's had a pretty average start. I think Nugent would probably agree with that.

thank you Raw Dykes pretty much what I would've said in response to Kitchandro.

They have done ok but Hammond starting when Drinkwater and James are fit? Come on now, they're in a different parish to him.

More due to who we've faced than how we've played. If we had started with Hull home and crystal palace away and played like we have then I'd be confident in saying we'd have six points out of six. Drinkwater and James are better than Hammond but with how Hammond and King have performed they have to win their place back, not just expect to waltz back in to the starting line up

This is the premier league, leave sentiment at the door. King deserves to keep his place over James, yes, but leaving Hammond in once Drinkwater is fit? Piss off.

If we'd have beaten Everton and Chelsea then sure, I understand Pearson's not changing a winning side even if I think it has flaws. But Hammond hasn't been undroppable and Drinkwater is one of our two best players.

Hammond only has a squad number because we're thin on the ground.

I don't care how King would feel tbh. It's football, no room for sentiment. I didn't suggest he should automatically be dropped, I said James Drinkwater and James have to play if they are all fit. I do think we will see 3 Cm's a lot this season, thus far we haven't because of injuries. Yes Kingy has done well, I didn't think he was great at Chelsea but he was playing against Fabregas, Matic etc. I do think James and Drinkwater are superior players to him, but he's done well so far.

Nugent has been our worst performer out of the two league games in my opinion. That doesn't mean I'll completely write him off as a premiership player as some on here have. But yeah, give me Vardy over Nugent any day. I actually think we need to bring another striker in to give us more of a goal threat. You need options in this league, and scoring goals is hard!

More due to who we've faced than how we've played. If we had started with Hull home and crystal palace away and played like we have then I'd be confident in saying we'd have six points out of six. Drinkwater and James are better than Hammond but with how Hammond and King have performed they have to win their place back, not just expect to waltz back in to the starting line up

Don't take me in the wrong way, but this sort of mentality regards the likes of palace, hull and the lesser teams, has been said on here a lot.

I understand to survive we need to beat the likes of these teams, and I'm not saying you are saying we will beat them, but there is a lot of posters talking like we are going to beat these sides as a given.

When we do play these teams, we will be beaten by some of them, that's not being negative, just a realist, hull are not a bad side, a lot stronger than anybody we played last season, and like a few other teams expected to finish low down, they have the experience of the league.

I have been saying expect to get beat by the big teams and we won't be disappointed, but with the lower teams, be confident, positive but not to expectant.

Again not aimed at you, or any individual, but just noticing a lot talking about beating the lower teams like we will get 3 points.

If Drinkwater and James had played the first two games and played as well as Hammond and King have I would be the laughing stock of the forum if I suggested either of them should be dropped for King or Hammond....

I don't care how King would feel tbh. It's football, no room for sentiment. I didn't suggest he should automatically be dropped, I said James Drinkwater and James have to play if they are all fit. I do think we will see 3 Cm's a lot this season, thus far we haven't because of injuries. Yes Kingy has done well, I didn't think he was great at Chelsea but he was playing against Fabregas, Matic etc. I do think James and Drinkwater are superior players to him, but he's done well so far.

Nugent has been our worst performer out of the two league games in my opinion. That doesn't mean I'll completely write him off as a premiership player as some on here have. But yeah, give me Vardy over Nugent any day. I actually think we need to bring another striker in to give us more of a goal threat. You need options in this league, and scoring goals is hard!

Stop being thick, it's not sentiment. It's keeping players happy, King's been out the side long enough if you dropped him now he's probably going to hand in a transfer request by January. Simple as that.

Stop being thick, it's not sentiment. It's keeping players happy, King's been out the side long enough if you dropped him now he's probably going to hand in a transfer request by January. Simple as that.

I'm with you on King but Hammond should be aware he's in the squad as a supporting player and that Drinkwater is key to our success this season.

I'd have him turfed out as soon as the physios say Danny can start.

If Nigel can't manage that transition without damaging squad morale (and I have every faith he can, for the record) then he shouldn't be the manager of a top flight side. Simple as that.

I agree with rewarding the players that got us promoted, I advocate giving everyone - even Hammond and GTF - a place in the squad to have their chance. But let it be proportionate, not at the expense of the players who really, actually were integral to our whole promotion and are again to our survival.

He's on the last year of his contract so we'd make a pittance, if they were going to offload, they'd do it now. I wonder whether his been asked to play for one. His recent performances suggest he might.

If Drinkwater and James had played the first two games and played as well as Hammond and King have I would be the laughing stock of the forum if I suggested either of them should be dropped for King or Hammond....

But that's because Drinkwater & James are clearly better players. It would make no sense to replace our two best midfielders with King & Hammond.

Let's put this into perspective, King and Hammond have played 2 games (1 and a half for Hammond pretty much) and they've looked fine. I wouldn't say either of them has put in an amazing match winning performance though, and we've got 1 point from two games. They've not been the world beaters you are suggesting.

I can see the argument for leaving them in, but I can also see the argument for putting two better players in who were so massive for us last season.

The question is, first & foremost, who does the manager think will give us a better chance of beating the team we're playing?

Why should Hammond have to accept being a last resort in the team when his recent performances have been worthy of a starting XI place? Give him the chance to play or get rid of him.

Because Danny Drinkwater is better.

Just because someone is good enough for this level (debatable anyway) it doesn't mean they're the best available option for us.

Archived